Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Charlie O’Connor from The Athletic has a great article. I have to copy and paste a few comments.

TDA is not happy…. I will be more than happy to drive him the hell out of dodge…

Please do. I'd like to read

TDA.....poor wittle punkin.... GTFO!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Charlie O’Connor from The Athletic has a great article. I have to copy and paste a few comments.

TDA is not happy…. I will be more than happy to drive him the hell out of dodge…

I know a few Flyers that fit that description... 

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Somebody will take Hayes if his salary can be bargained down to a reasonable number. There shouldn’t be any need for the Flyers to add a “sweetener” if they retain 25-50%. If anything a late-round pick should come back to the Flyers if they retain more than 25%.

You are only allowed to retain for the first year of the trade or am I wrong on that? 

In any event if you're going to have a fistful of dead cap maybe it'd be easier to just buy him out. 

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know a few Flyers that fit that description... 

11 hours ago, CoachX said:

Please do. I'd like to read

TDA.....poor wittle punkin.... GTFO!

From The Athletic .....

DeAngelo had his first chance to discuss Tortorella’s decision on Friday, and mostly chose to keep quiet about what sparked the benching. 

“I’m sure there’s reasons for it, but nothing that either one of us are obviously willing to discuss,” DeAngelo said. “I’ll just leave it at that.”

After DeAngelo was scratched two Thursdays ago against Dallas, the assumption was that it would be a short-term absence from the lineup. But he sat out again two nights later on Long Island, and then the next night back home versus Boston — even though the Flyers were in the second game of a back-to-back and had just five healthy defensemen available. Something clearly was up, beyond just wanting to give young players a look and Justin Braun a few games before he retired.

DeAngelo may not have been willing to spill the beans on exit interview day. But he didn’t shy away from revealing what he thought of the decision, even while acknowledging that he respected Tortorella as a coach.

“Do I agree with it, what happened in the last five games? Absolutely not,” DeAngelo said. “I think it’s ridiculous that I didn’t play the last five.”

“It’s something that means a lot to me, so we’re not going to let any relationship stuff get in the way,” he said. “I don’t care who the coach is. I want to come back, and this is where I want to be. I’ve wanted to be a Flyer forever.”

And DeAngelo acknowledged — as he did last week — that Tortorella’s critique of his defensive play in 2022-23 wasn’t unfounded. He may have disagreed with the extended scratching, but he didn’t lack self-awareness on exit interview day in terms of his own on-ice work.

“I thought it was very frustrating for myself to be that inconsistent this year, especially after the year I had last year where I thought I was very consistent,” DeAngelo said. “That’s not his fault. I can’t blame Torts for that, me being inconsistent and him not being happy about it. That’s stuff that I take responsibility for, and I was pissed about. It was a disappointing year for me in that sense.

“I’m not going to criticize Torts for pointing out that I made some bad plays defensively, that’s not him,” he reiterated later. “I’m not going to get mad at him for it, that’s me.”

So in summation: DeAngelo knows his defensive play was lacking, but didn’t believe it warranted a five-game end-of-season scratching — though he chose not to explain the reasoning Tortorella used to justify it. In any case, if DeAngelo has his way, he’ll be back in September for training camp, trying to smooth things over with Torts and deliver a bounce-back campaign.

“I got a sour taste in my mouth to the way things ended,” DeAngelo said. “I’ll go have a good summer, train, and get healthy, all that kind of stuff and then get ready to go again. I’m pretty confident I’ll have a real good year.”

IMO TDA knows why he was benched, he can't be that stupid, its just that he doesn't agree with it.

In other news about JVR our other whipping boy ..... (from the same article)

"In the immediate wake of the trade deadline, James van Riemsdyk was diplomatic when asked for his feelings after he was not moved to a contender.

With the season — and almost certainly his time with the Flyers — now at an end, he was willing to open up a bit more.

“I’m obviously extremely proud to be a Flyer and play for the Flyers for as many games as I have and as many years as I have. That being said, that was probably one of the more disappointing things that I’ve gone through just for a whole host of different reasons,” he said. “Definitely disappointed that I wasn’t able to get that opportunity.”

It wasn’t just that former GM Chuck Fletcher proved unable to move him. It was the comments afterward, when Fletcher — likely trying to hold onto his job — basically said that there was essentially no interest in van Riemsdyk and it was impossible to trade him. Rarely does a GM that speak that bluntly about his own player’s leaguewide value on the record.

Van Riemsdyk was asked for his thoughts on Fletcher’s post-deadline comments, and while he was careful with his words, it wasn’t difficult to read between the lines and surmise that he wasn’t exactly thrilled with Fletcher’s news conference that day.

“Oh, I don’t know if I want to dive too much into the weeds on some of those things,” JvR responded. “I know there’s lots of different ways to look at the situation. I don’t think it’s necessarily as cut and dry as it was made out to be after the fact. So yeah, I’d rather not get too far down that road.”

I will post more when I get the time ......

• Good Post 1

In another article from Charlie O'Connor he mentions the word ...

Accountability.

(From Torts)

“Some players just don’t want to be held accountable or just can’t handle it,” he said in his end-of-season media availability.

From the start, Tortorella viewed 2022-23 as more of an evaluation year than anything else. His continued admission that he didn’t even know who players were was never him saying that he wasn’t familiar with them on paper; it was that he didn’t know who they were. He wanted to evaluate them as players, sure. But it was also about evaluating them as people, with his own idiosyncratic eye. And in turn, testing them.

It’s no secret that Tortorella is a uniquely “tough” coach, especially in the present-day NHL. And this season was filled with all the classic Torts hits. He scratched both established veterans (Kevin Hayes, Travis Sanheim, Tony DeAngelo, Rasmus Ristolainen) and touted youngsters (Cam York, Morgan Frost). He made pointed, critical, on-the-record comments about pretty much every single player on the team at one point or another. And he sparked open conflict with quite a few of them — Sanheim after scratching him for a game in Calgary attended by friends and family, DeAngelo by keeping him a healthy scratch for the final five games of the season, Hayes via his insistence that the longtime NHL center wasn’t actually an NHL center.

And those were just the battles that spilled out into the public eye. There were more with other players that occurred behind closed doors.

Some would call this “coaching by conflict” style cruel. But for Tortorella, it’s accountability, not cruelty. And he believes lots of players on the team need to get a lot better at dealing with it — at least if they want to be deemed “part of the solution” under Tortorella.

“To play under a team concept, to play and be a good pro, understand, at least here, you’re gonna have to accept the honesty and understand that that’s all it is, honesty. It’s not a personal thing,” Tortorella said. “We have a ways to go there. I think we’re way too goddamn sensitive out here and about that, about simply coaching. That surprises me — not surprised, but that’s something that we’re going to have to really grow at.”

And if players were hoping that (interim) general manager Daniel Briere would serve as the kinder parent in this familial setting, Briere disabused everyone of that notion just a few minutes later, supporting Tortorella’s call for improved accountability fully just a few minutes after Tortorella finished speaking.

“Torts is really clear. There’s things that are important to him — how players carry themselves, how they play, how they act — and that’s going to be a big part of it. It was a big part of it this year,” Briere added. “If you look at how things were done, and were ran, accountability was a big thing throughout the organization, and I think that’s part of the progress that you saw this year.”

In other words: this is just the beginning of Tortorella putting his accountability stamp on the roster.

The inevitable result? Subtractions are indeed coming — namely, those who have struggled most in Torts’ eyes with this whole accountability thing.

“I’m going to say there are people (who will need to be subtracted),” Tortorella said.

• Good Post 2

DeAngelo's exit interview is on youtube and it's worth watching. He's got more intelligence and self-awareness than I expected. It's good that he and Tortorella both declined to talk about whatever happened btw them at the end.

I wish somebody had asked why he "always wanted to be a Flyer." He mentioned that a couple times. I imagine he's thinking of the old Bullies days  - not that that's a bad thing - but nobody asked him.

41 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

DeAngelo's exit interview is on youtube and it's worth watching. He's got more intelligence and self-awareness than I expected. It's good that he and Tortorella both declined to talk about whatever happened btw them at the end.

I wish somebody had asked why he "always wanted to be a Flyer." He mentioned that a couple times. I imagine he's thinking of the old Bullies days  - not that that's a bad thing - but nobody asked him.

He was born in Sewell, NJ, and is a lifelong Flyers fan.  Grew up watching them as a kid.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Thanks 1

JVR can get mad all he wants it's his fault he don't have any trade value last i looked floating forwards aren't in high demand.

So glad when he is gone.

TDA I hope is gone too for anything I'll take a 14th round draft pick for him hell I would take a 2034 5th round pick for him.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR can get mad all he wants it's his fault he don't have any trade last i looked floating forwards aren't in high demand.

So glad when he is gone.

TDA I hope is gone too for anything I'll take a 14th round draft pick for him hell I would take a 2034 5th round pick for him

JVR is mad? About what?

Him being mad is like a homeless person getting pissed about free rent

:PostAward4:

Edited by CoachX

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR can get mad all he wants it's his fault he don't have any trade last i looked floating forwards aren't in high demand.

The point is more that this is a courtesy that teams do for veteran players. Not moving JVR from the player perspective isn't as much about getting the return as it is showing players that you have the respect for them.

Could easily be that Fletch had no respect for JVR's game. Which is fine.

Could be no one was willing to drop a 7th on a 20-goal scoring forward.

Could be that Fletch is a terrible GM.

I'm going with a combination of the three, with the last one being the most important.

But this is the kind of thing players think about when they are deciding whether to join as team as a FA. It may not be as important now that Chuck's gone, but if you don't think hockey guys have long memories, just look at Ryan Ellis sitting on IR with Poile reviewing the Shea Weber offer sheet...

:hocky:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

but if you don't think hockey guys have long memories, just look at Ryan Ellis sitting on IR with Poile reviewing the Shea Weber offer sheet...

the Gift that keeps on giving .... and then Weber goes to Montreal and correct me if I am wrong but didn't someone post that somehow Arizona acquired the  rights to Weber and is STILL paying him money which came from NSH. ......... crazy isn't it ......

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/contract-of-ex-canadien-shea-weber-latest-addition-to-desert-graveyard

Arizona is where bad NHL contracts go to die.

Former Canadiens captain Shea Weber is the latest example, with the Arizona Coyotes acquiring the remainder of his contract from the Vegas Golden Knights on Wednesday.

The Golden Knights sent a fifth-round pick at this year’s NHL draft to Arizona along with Weber’s contract in exchange for 26-year-old defenceman Dysin Mayo, who has only played 82 games in the NHL with 4-8-12 totals since being selected by the Coyotes in the fifth round (133rd overall) of the 2014 draft.

Weber has not played because of injuries since helping the Canadiens advance to the Stanley Cup final in 2021. He remains on long-term injured reserve and isn’t expected to play again.

The 37-year-old defenceman has three more seasons after this remaining on his 14-year, US$110-million contract with an annual salary-cap hit of US$7.857 million. But Weber, who is earning US$3 million this season, will only earn US$1 million in each of the last three seasons of his heavily front-loaded contract, which makes him attractive to the Coyotes as they look to stay near the minimum NHL salary cap of US$61 million without actually spending that much money. The maximum salary cap is US$82.5 million.

The Canadiens traded Weber and his contract to the Vegas Golden Knights last summer in exchange for Evgenii Dadonov, who has a US$5 million salary-cap hit this season, but will become an unrestricted free agent this summer and be off their books.

Weber’s contract was the result of an offer sheet he received from the Philadelphia Flyers in summer 2012, when he was a restricted free agent. The Nashville Predators decided to match the offer in order to keep Weber. The contract included US$13 million signing bonuses in each of the first four seasons, with two years of US$8 million signing bonuses after that. Weber earned US$80 million in the first six seasons of the contract.

When the Predators traded Weber to the Canadiens on June 29, 2016, in exchange for P.K. Subban, they were trading his contract as much (if not more) than the player. Subban’s eight-year, US$72-million contract (signed while he was with the Canadiens) ended after last season and the 33-year-old defenceman retired after spending the last three years with the New Jersey Devils.

Yup ...talk about burning bridges ..........

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That's because they all know hockey...unlike the predecessors.

It's not just that though, it's a coordination and a direction. There are varying views on how to construct a hockey team, what to prioritize, how to build/rebuild, who and what is more valued, and what to do first. 

When your team is a mess (Flyers) you need a clear philosophy, a plan, and you have to stick to it. If the various people in management don't agree on those things you get vetoes of moves, forced decisions and cross purposes. That to some extent is what we had before, and not just Chuck's obvious incompetence. 

Everybody rowing in the same direction and the boat might just get moving. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Anyone believe this comment?

kiss of death…. = no way in hell Bettman lets Bedard come to Philly unless as a member of the visiting team 

• Like 2