Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

10 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Torts is a culture guy and the only person wearing a leadership patch is Laughton.  Not Couts, not Provorov, Sanheim, Hayes, or TK.  It was only SL that Torts identified as a leader.

"Scott Laughton's role with the Flyers continues to grow on the ice and in the locker room The versatile forward hasn't missed a beat since moving into a top-six role and has also emerged as the face of the team's leadership group under new coach John Tortorella"

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-scott-laughton-versatility-captain-tortorella-20221103.html

That's an opinion written by someone paid to produce material. If Torts had said it, it would have weight. And if SL was the only one wearing a letter, who is this "group " the article references? 

On a solidly built team, SL is bottom six, most likely 4th line. The only reason he is so versatile is because the Flyers have so many holes. It's out of necessity, not ability

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

That's an opinion written by someone paid to produce material. If Torts had said it, it would have weight. And if SL was the only one wearing a letter, who is this "group " the article references? 

OK, enough.

First, that's just disingenuous. He was the only player to get a letter. And Torts did comment on his leadership: https://www.nhl.com/news/scott-laughton-emerges-as-leader-example-for-philadelphia-flyers/c-336450704

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

On a solidly built team, SL is bottom six, most likely 4th line.

Second, how many teams meet whatever your criteria are for "solidly built"? Three? Four? Laughton could easily play 3rd line center and first unit PK on the vast majority of NHL teams. He's an upgrade in the top 6 on several. Because he's reliable.

We already know you don't really know that much about hockey, you don't have to constantly remind us.

Edited by Podein25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Thank you for correction.  Shame whats happened w Couts

He was certainly on line to be the next C before the back issues. Pretty sure that's one big reason Tortorella didn't name a C.

Hopefully he'll be fully recovered.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Second, how many teams meet whatever your criteria are for "solidly built"? Three? Four?

i can think of 16 right off the top of my head

I really liked Torts' comment. It was interesting: "The intangibles that Scotty brings sometimes outweighs what he does on the ice," Tortorella said. "He wore an 'A,' and I think that's for a reason. Other people didn't. It was only one 'A' [the first two games] and I thought he deserved that. So he brings a lot of that stuff to us."

Torts says alot of things about a lot of players. I like how he "thinks" there is a reason SL wore the "A". I would've thought the head coach would know

Edited by CoachX
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i can think of 16 right off the top of my head

I really liked Torts' comment. It was interesting: "The intangibles that Scotty brings sometimes outweighs what he does on the ice," Tortorella said. "He wore an 'A,' and I think that's for a reason. Other people didn't. It was only one 'A' [the first two games] and I thought he deserved that. So he brings a lot of that stuff to us."

Torts says alot of things about a lot of players. I like how he "thinks" there is a reason SL wore the "A". I would've thought the head coach would know

Good lord

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I know. I'm exhausting

On a team that had Hayes, JVR, Deangelo, Ristolainen, Ellis wasting almost HALF the teams cap space, you pick Laughton who I've pointed out is paid less than his stats would suggest, stays healthy, will play anywhere you put him. I'm starting to wonder if you went to the Chuck Fletcher School of How to Understand the Game of Hockey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I know. I'm exhausting

No doubt.

But there's also the irritation, like a terrible rash or a fungus that won't go away. Ya know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

On a team that had Hayes, JVR, Deangelo, Ristolainen, Ellis wasting almost HALF the teams cap space, you pick Laughton who I've pointed out is paid less than his stats would suggest, stays healthy, will play anywhere you put him. I'm starting to wonder if you went to the Chuck Fletcher School of How to Understand the Game of Hockey.

This started way before this current debacle

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No doubt.

But there's also the irritation, like a terrible rash or a fungus that won't go away. Ya know?

fair enough.

It has turned into wash, rinse, repeat. My point has been expressed. The only thing that will change my outlook is the player himself

lets move on!

Oh...did you hear?

JVR IS GONE!

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CoachX said:

fair enough.

It has turned into wash, rinse, repeat. My point has been expressed. The only thing that will change my outlook is the player himself

lets move on!

Oh...did you hear?

JVR IS GONE!

Lol, sure. 

Here's my final word on it (for now): I don't believe for a nanosecond that SL's play could change your "outlook" on him.

There's an irrational aspect to the intensity of your dislike for him. His crimes are so disproportionate to his actual play. I don't know why, but I think it's a first impression sort of thing. You saw a first round pick and felt he should score 30 goals, regardless of his actual play.

He's a good hockey player. In all kinds of ways. So that leaves me no choice but to question whether you know what a good hockey player is.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, sure. 

Here's my final word on it (for now): I don't believe for a nanosecond that SL's play could change your "outlook" on him.

There's an irrational aspect to the intensity of your dislike for him. His crimes are so disproportionate to his actual play. I don't know why, but I think it's a first impression sort of thing. You saw a first round pick and felt he should score 30 goals, regardless of his actual play.

He's a good hockey player. In all kinds of ways. So that leaves me no choice but to question whether you know what a good hockey player is.

Cheers

Absolutely crazy, to say anything bad about Scott. He leads by example, knows his limitations. A true warriors. 

This may sound a little over the top, but watching Scott pour his heart and soul into every shift makes me proud to be Canadian. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

He was certainly on line to be the next C before the back issues. Pretty sure that's one big reason Tortorella didn't name a C.

Hopefully he'll be fully recovered.

Not only was Couts the next Captain for this team he was the heir to Bergeron's annual Selke........

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, sure. 

Cheers

Well I was going to let it go.....

I don't see the same thing many of you do. I don't see a guy out there doing anything particularly impactful, or special. He has moments. But I also recall watching games and not hearing his name mentioned until halfway through the second period. I also recall a instance where he literally got flipped on his head in a center ice faceoff, and did nothing about it. I never called for him to be a 30 goal scorer, and until these discussions took on the frequency they did, I wasn't even aware he was a first round pick. I hear all these statements about "good in the room",  "leader", "role model", and my favorite, "sticks up for his teammates", and I don't see it anywhere. I also don't see where any of these accolades has made a particular positive impact on this current team. Maybe if he hit a little more, or dropped the gloves more than once a season, or scored more than 13 goals in season more than once in his career, I would see him different. I have no argument that his contract is affordable. I have no argument that hes a good 4th line player. I just don't get the hero worship thrown his way from many on this forum. I see him as another piece of this current cluster that has been such a disappointment for all of us. I'd like to see him shipped out and anyone else given the same opportunities.

If I don't live up to your standards of intelligence when it comes to this guy, so be it. l will live happily in my ignorance cheering for the rest of the team. I won't lose any sleep over it

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

just watch a game....his limitations are obvious

Watched enough to know you're biased gor some reason. Of course he has limitations, almost every player in the history of the league has those. What separates leaders like Scott is having the maturity to recognize those limitations and the knowledge that staying within them helps the group as a whole. 

The fact that you think you know a player better than Torts is profoundly preposterous. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If I don't live up to your standards of intelligence when it comes to this guy, so be it. 

I'd like to think we've been on these Philly forums long enough together that you don't take anything too serious.

I like bugging you about it cause Laughton is soooo vanilla on a team full of rancid rotting fish straight from an algae bloom in the Ganges River just downstream from the pyres of Varanasi. Hopefully you're not actually offended...or I will be offended. :poke:

• Like 1

I'm good keeping Laughton for now now that Hayes, JVR and DeAngelo are gone.

Is there a chance they can turn Risto into a movable asset within the next 2 years?

Guess we'll just watch how the up coming season rolls out...i hope the plan is to waive Petersen and let Felix see if he can improve his trade value before the deadline to some young team in need affordable backup.

If not oh well some of the blame does fall on Felix just for never taking advantage of the little but of play time he had.

37 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The fact that you think you know a player better than Torts is profoundly preposterous. 

Lol, now where did I say that?  I barely know how to tie my shoes. thank god for velcro straps. I wish they made them for hockey skates

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm good keeping Laughton for now now that Hayes, JVR and DeAngelo are gone.

Is there a chance they can turn Risto into a movable asset within the next 2 years?

Guess we'll just watch how the up coming season rolls out...i hope the plan is to waive Petersen and let Felix see if he can improve his trade value before the deadline to some young team in need affordable backup.

If not oh well some of the blame does fall on Felix just for never taking advantage of the little but of play time he had.

I got the sense Errson gave us a great opportunity at points and a Sandstrom start was an automatic loss. Barring injuries I really doubt we ever see him in a Flyer jersey again. Even his presence on the Phantoms is denying an actual upside kid the chance to develop. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd like to think we've been on these Philly forums long enough together that you don't take anything too serious.

I like bugging you about it cause Laughton is soooo vanilla on a team full of rancid rotting fish straight from an algae bloom in the Ganges River just downstream from the pyres of Varanasi. Hopefully you're not actually offended...or I will be offended. :poke:

Definitely not offended. Lots gets lost in translation when you type what you think. I was once accused of losing my temper at Rick when I don't even know the guy. Last time that will happen

When you put your opinions out there, and they aren't in the popular column, youre gonna catch schit....especially with this crowd. If you don't expect it, you probably shouldn't be here

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Lol, now where did I say that?  I barely know how to tie my shoes. thank god for velcro straps. I wish they made them for hockey skates

You continually flog the one guy Torts deemed worthy of wearing a letter. You dont have to say it, its implied in every post. Just so you know, Torts is BIG and VERY choosy about giving out letters!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Ask and you shall receive .....  ;) 

Option B - Skate Straps Kit – Mega's Hockey Shop

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

You continually flog the one guy Torts deemed worthy of wearing a letter. You dont have to say it, its implied in every post. Just so you know, Torts is BIG and VERY choosy about giving out letters!

Yes. I don't like Laughton. Doesn't mean I know him better than the coach. It isn't implied either. I read Torts quote. here it is below.....

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

"The intangibles that Scotty brings sometimes outweighs what he does on the ice," Tortorella said. "He wore an 'A,' and I think that's for a reason. Other people didn't. It was only one 'A' [the first two games] and I thought he deserved that. So he brings a lot of that stuff to us."

"Sometimes outweighs". SOMETIMES! Not all the time. Not consistently. Not night in and night out. Sometimes! His words. Yeah, and he sometimes scores goals. Sometimes he doesn't. Most times he doesn't.

On the issue of the "A", he said SL wore the letter, "He thinks" for a reason. He didn't state those reasons. He didnt say he knew for sure what those reasons were. If that comes off to anyone as a strong recommendation, that okay, that's your choice. For me, if this is the quote that supports all the love SL gets, then it isn't going to sway my opinion in the slightest.

Remember, Torts also was quoted as saying, “He’s a pro. He’s a steady influence for us,” when talking about JVR.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ask and you shall receive .....  ;) 

Option B - Skate Straps Kit – Mega's Hockey Shop

those skates would be perfect for me. They say OPTION B....on my beer league team that what my line is called

• Like 1