NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3) - (Edmonton leads wins series 4-2)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Oilers sweep in 4
    • Oilers ini 5
    • Oilers in 6*
    • Oilers in 7
    • Kings sweep in 4
    • Kings in 5
    • Kings in 6
    • Kings in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

Schedule TBD

All discussion here

(2) Edmonton Oilers vs. (3) Los Angeles Kings

Game 1: | Monday, April 17, 10 p.m. | at EDM | TV: SN
Game 2: | Wednesday, April 19, 10 p.m. | at EDM | TV: SN
Game 3: | Friday, April 21, 10 p.m. | at LAK | TV: SN
Game 4: | Sunday, April 23, 9 p.m. | at LAK | TV: SN
Game 5*: | Tuesday, April 25, TBD | at EDM | TV: TBD
Game 6*: | Saturday, April 29, TBD | at LAK | TV: TBD
Game 7*: | Monday, May 1, TBD | at EDM | TV: TBD

Edited by pilldoc

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3)

If defense wins, then take LA.  This is McDavid and the Edmonton offense vs a pretty good shut down defense that is up there with Devils and Tampa.  I am going to stick my neck out and pick the Kings to beat them.  Edmonton has had its problems keeping the puck out but as of late they have been far better.  I could be very wrong, as I do not understand for the life of me how the Kings had the season they did.  If you look at them, just their roster, it doesn't strike fear in you like McDavid can.   But they are tough to score on.  If they themselves can score in this series, they can win. 

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

If defense wins, then take LA.  This is McDavid and the Edmonton offense vs a pretty good shut down defense that is up there with Devils and Tampa.  I am going to stick my neck out and pick the Kings to beat them.  Edmonton has had its problems keeping the puck out but as of late they have been far better.  I could be very wrong, as I do not understand for the life of me how the Kings had the season they did.  If you look at them, just their roster, it doesn't strike fear in you like McDavid can.   But they are tough to score on.  If they themselves can score in this series, they can win. 

Classic stuff. "Edmonton has had its problems keeping the puck out" and the Kings "are tough to score on".

2023 Goals Against

LAK - 257

EDM - 260

Scoring Chances Against

EDM - 1741

LAK - 1748

High Danger Chances Against

EDM - 542

LAK - 553

This isn't to say that the Kings can't win this matchup. It's hockey; a game absolutely loaded with random chance, and a lot (injuries, goalies get hot, etc) can happen in a 7-game series. But this narrative of the Oilers being a bad defensive hockey team is just a left-over from previous years. Most fans, particularly in the East, see McDavid highlights the morning after games, and don't watch Oilers games unless they're on the road on the East Coast.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

I am going Oilers in 6.
They already have the dangerous PP and the overall offense and they have the goalie in Skinner, who, when he is on his game, can be as good as anyone in the net.

But to me, the biggest difference is the addition of Mattias Ekholm on defense.
I liked the addition when they made it, not because Ek is some big offensive threat, not because he is a big mean shut down guy....but because he is a very professional defender and his presence allows the Oilers to slot the other defensemen and give them assignments that are more advantageous overall.

In short, Ekholm stabilized the Oiler defense and seems to have made life a bit easier on the goalies as well.

The Kings have their ups n downs...they can look really good on some games, like complete non playoff contenders the next.
They cannot afford that kind of inconsistency in the playoffs...certainly not against Edmonton.

I don't see any games here being complete blowouts, but when all is said n done, the Oilers skate away not really needing the 7th game.

Goalies: :oilers:

Defense: :kings:

Offense: :oilers:

Special teams (PP/PK): :oilers:

Coaching: :kings:

Mental: :oilers:

Experience: :kings:

Robustness: :kings:

Depth: :oilers:

The Oilers seem to have filled the blatant holes in their squad. They have a legit top-4 in D, the offense doesn't seem to be presented. The only question mark is the goaltending, but so is for the Kings as well. LA will be a pain in the arse but Edmonton will have the last word.

Oilers in 6.

This the hardest series to guess on for me...everything tell me that Edmonton should advance easily but something also telling me this will go to 7 like last year...I voted Edmonton in 7 but it's a coin flip for me really...maybe LA gets revenge this year...

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3) - (LA leads 1-0)
  • pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3) - (Series Tied 1-1)
  • pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3) - (LA leads series 2-1)
  • pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3) - (Series tied 2-2)

I know these games are on after the bedtimes of a lot of people around here, but I want to take a minute to talk about what a good job Trent Yawney is doing coaching his group of defensemen on the Kings. To my eye they deliver as good of man-on-man coverage as there is in this league, while at the same time not having the best D roster. Most of the time, the sticks are tied up and the threat is eliminated. They're doing it right, not cheating themselves, and if an opposition forward comes out of the corner high, they run right into a defensive winger who has collapsed to cover. It's a *very* well-coached group, imo.

When Brandt Clarke is ready, probably taking Durzi's minutes, they'll have that elite puck-moving right-hander all teams drool over, and will have an outstanding d-core.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

what a good job Trent Yawney is doing coaching his group of defensemen on the Kings.

You are a better judge and eye on those finer points than I.  It’s no consolation to LA fans, as that was a wrenching loss.  (Yeah I stayed up late.). Lose 3-0 lead, then give up 4-3 lead with 3 minutes to go, then the long Oiler stretch pass in OT with Zach Hyman acting agressively and sniperly to even the series 2-2.

A ‘Hollywood Ending’ in Game Four for Edmonton!

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Edmonton (P2) vs. LA (P3) - (Edmonton leads wins series 4-2)
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 locked this topic