Blues Review What exactly are they now???

yave1964

2022-23 RECORD 37-38-7 81 points, 14 points out of a playoff spot. minus 38 in goal differential

ADDITIONS  Kevin Hayes comes over from the Flyers to replace Ryan O'Reilly. Oskar Sundqvist comes back to bring grit and hardness to the 4th line. Joel Hofer comes up from the AHL to push Binnington in net as a B rated goalie prospect. 

SUBTRACTIONS Greiss retired. The big ones were Taresenko went to rhe Rags at the deadline, O'Reilly and Acciari went at the deadline to the Blues. Barbachev was dealt to the Knights. 

PROSPECTS tHE TOP BOYS ARE years away from providing help, Bolduc may make the team as a goal scorer on the wing but if so will be raw and score about 15 goals and be a negative defensively at least at the start of the year. Zach Dean came over from the Knights in the Barbachev deal and looks like a potential 3rd line center but again, very raw.

SO,,,,,, WHERE ARE THEY? On the way down.  Hayes is not O'Reilly. Vrana is not Taresenko. Binnington no longer is Binnington. Faulk sure as Hell is not Pietrangelo. It has only been four years since the Blues shocked the world with a Stanley Cup, only four players are still here from the improbable run. The rookies ready to step in now are pedestrian, save possibly Hofer and the few prospects they have who are good to very good are several years away.

tHEY WILL HAVE 79 POINTS and finish 7th in Division. They are essentially irrelevant for the next several years. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

I’d say they’re a team one season away from a rebuild. 

Maybe, if they are sharp about things, if they see their season going downhill quickly, they start the rebuild early. Say by mid year
I think @yave1964 is pretty accurate with his take on the team, and even though they will be pretty competitive on some nights, for the most part, they are looking at a slow, agonizing decline.

The players they got to replace the departed aren't really in the same tier and their once vaunted strength, their defense and goaltending, is looking pretty anemic these days.
Of course, you'd WANT the players themselves, as well as the on-ice coaches, to believe they can win, and that they can compete as is, but the ownership and management has to take a more sterile view, and that should lead to your point...that rebuild.

Holy crap.
After typing that out, I realized that I wasn't sure if we were still talking about the Blues...or the Minnesota Wild. :shifty: 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, yave1964 said:

2022-23 RECORD 37-38-7 81 points, 14 points out of a playoff spot. minus 38 in goal differential

ADDITIONS  Kevin Hayes comes over from the Flyers to replace Ryan O'Reilly. Oskar Sundqvist comes back to bring grit and hardness to the 4th line. Joel Hofer comes up from the AHL to push Binnington in net as a B rated goalie prospect. 

SUBTRACTIONS Greiss retired. The big ones were Taresenko went to rhe Rags at the deadline, O'Reilly and Acciari went at the deadline to the Blues. Barbachev was dealt to the Knights. 

PROSPECTS tHE TOP BOYS ARE years away from providing help, Bolduc may make the team as a goal scorer on the wing but if so will be raw and score about 15 goals and be a negative defensively at least at the start of the year. Zach Dean came over from the Knights in the Barbachev deal and looks like a potential 3rd line center but again, very raw.

SO,,,,,, WHERE ARE THEY? On the way down.  Hayes is not O'Reilly. Vrana is not Taresenko. Binnington no longer is Binnington. Faulk sure as Hell is not Pietrangelo. It has only been four years since the Blues shocked the world with a Stanley Cup, only four players are still here from the improbable run. The rookies ready to step in now are pedestrian, save possibly Hofer and the few prospects they have who are good to very good are several years away.

tHEY WILL HAVE 79 POINTS and finish 7th in Division. They are essentially irrelevant for the next several years. 

This is dead on. I was there last summer, but it's become worse due to the changes you cite.  At least they have recent Cup memories.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 5:54 AM, thegx.ca said:

I'd say they're in the rebuild right now and only thing they got right say far is keeping the coach...

Do you keep the GM?

From my vantage, they won the Cup because they accidentally tripped over it. I've never been an Armstrong fan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Do you keep the GM?

From my vantage, they won the Cup because they accidentally tripped over it. I've never been an Armstrong fan.

And a GM that vastly overpaid a flash in the pan goalie to boot……

• Like 1

Personally, there are two good things about the Blues winning the Cup: give the illusion that Binnington is an elite goalie and have the chance to hear Brett Hull signing Laura Branigan's Gloria totally drunk in downdown St-Louis. And as a lifelong Blues hater, I hope they will stay in the basement as long as possible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Do you keep the GM?

Again,we share a braincell 

• Good Post 1

On 8/15/2023 at 5:04 AM, ruxpin said:

Do you keep the GM?

Naw get rid of him for sure...Armstrong didn't expect that team to win the Cup they won it despite him...some GMs like Treliving are always in win now mode...some like Yserman and Sakic are always in clever deals mode...but this Armstrong is always stuck in win never mode and despite his win never deals the players and coach all won despite that...

• Like 2