Mike Babcock accused of going back to his old ways?

FireTheCannon

33 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I worked nearly 4 decades and never once did a manager or superior ask me such questions or make such requests.

Are you a professional athlete - one of 20-odd millionaire players who need to come together as a team on the ice?

If not, "real world" experience isn't at all applicable to professional sport.

The team's two top leaders said they didn't think it was a big deal.

If this wasn't Babcock with the Baggage he has it might not even rate a podcast mention.

People have - justifiable - axes to grind with Babcock. They ground them.

One thing is pretty certain - this doesn't help the Blue Jackets at all, in any way.

• Like 2

Welp The Score reporting Babcock resigned now over all of this...looks like the Babcock haters win another one...The Score reporting that the NHLPA originally had no problem after interviewing the veteran players but then the younger players complained to the NHLPA and the NHLPA reversed their stance...that's the way of the world now the squeaky wheels get the grease...

5 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

I’ll just say this is highly debatable.

Well looks like the NHL trying to make their profession as similar as possible to the professional standards in the non sporting world...so while it all wasn't applicable before the NHL is trying to change that...

Personally I prefer if they players just tell their coach no I'm not giving you my phone instead of complaining to the NHLPA to get him fired etc...I mean veterans like Gaudreau and Boone wanna win so they willing to give a coach with a winning record a chance to see if he can help them win...but because of the uncomfortable ones we'll never know if Babcock would have made a difference or not...it's like in schools how teachers have to be worried about treating their students with velvet gloves even coaches have to be the same with their players...the world loses alot of good teachers and coaches that don't want to be at the mercy of their students/players...I know I wouldn't care enough to take a teaching or coaching job no matter what they pay because I don't wanna have to answer to those I'm supposed to teach or coach...teachers and coaches are being reduced to babysitters in my opinion...

9 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

Welp The Score reporting Babcock resigned now over all of this...looks like the Babcock haters win another one...The Score reporting that the NHLPA originally had no problem after interviewing the veteran players but then the younger players complained to the NHLPA and the NHLPA reversed their stance...that's the way of the world now the squeaky wheels get the grease...

A guy with a history of abusing and mistreating everybody who works in his vicinity couldn't even make it to the first pre-season game without exceeding his boundaries and your take is that there's something wrong with the kids?

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Usually, I don't like to celebrate or make light of anyone losing their job, in his case though...Babs is a special kind of asshat and I won't miss seeing him in the league one bit.

Right. I'm not happy that the man lost his job, but I can't say that I feel sorry for him. As I said from the outset in this thread: he's earned what happened. He has a brilliant hockey mind but just can't or won't stop being weird with the players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah, it would be interesting to know. Officially, we'll probably never hear anything about what exactly happened. Boone Jenner and Johnny Gaudreau both said it wasn't a big deal, and I prefer to take them at their word. Friedman said that the younger players were the ones who took the most issue with this "what's on your phone?" stuff when compared to veterans. Babcock may have approached veterans differently than he would young players, or perhaps they're sensitive.

Nobody really knows, but I'm fully prepared to hear a lot of how "kids are snowflakes these days" when there seems to be plenty of that going around all age groups.

Looking at it again at this point I just agree with TheHockeyGuy's video on the subject. It's a workplace off the ice. Don't do that. No boss I've ever had wanted to look through my phone, and if they asked me that they could shove it. Do I wish the players had more support internally so that it could be handled within the league, through an arm of the player's union? Yeah. It seems like an opportunity to advance that kind of support. Your coach isn't your friend, generally, he's your boss. Do I wish that it wouldn't have become some bizarro gossip-piece initially and been handled differently? Oh yeah.

I also echo THG's point on this hopefully starting a trend where new blood is brought in from the minors etc rather than just recycling old coaches ad infinitum. New experience, new ideas. Makes things more exciting and hopefully, since the game will change over time, alters things in a positive way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

A guy with a history of abusing and mistreating everybody who works in his vicinity couldn't even make it to the first pre-season game without exceeding his boundaries and your take is that there's something wrong with the kids?

Yeah at least give the guy a season to see if he can win and be normal...no need to cancel the guy just got being an asshole...

6 hours ago, MoleMan said:

Looking at it again at this point I just agree with TheHockeyGuy's video on the subject. It's a workplace off the ice. Don't do that. No boss I've ever had wanted to look through my phone, and if they asked me that they could shove it. Do I wish the players had more support internally so that it could be handled within the league, through an arm of the player's union? Yeah. It seems like an opportunity to advance that kind of support. Your coach isn't your friend, generally, he's your boss. Do I wish that it wouldn't have become some bizarro gossip-piece initially and been handled differently? Oh yeah.

I also echo THG's point on this hopefully starting a trend where new blood is brought in from the minors etc rather than just recycling old coaches ad infinitum. New experience, new ideas. Makes things more exciting and hopefully, since the game will change over time, alters things in a positive way.

Well we'll see if making the hockey workplace more professional makes for more wins or not...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Yeah at least give the guy a season to see if he can win and be normal...no need to cancel the guy just got being an asshole...

Cancelled; really? This isn't a guy with a spotless record who mis-spoke on twitter one day and now the mob wants to get him.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

Well we'll see if making the hockey workplace more professional makes for more wins or not...

Don't worry. Deboer is the picture of professionalism and the Stars are winning the cup this season. Rest easy, champ.

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:02 PM, JR Ewing said:

Cancelled; really? This isn't a guy with a spotless record who mis-spoke on twitter one day and now the mob wants to get him.

Pretty close in my opinion...so he's an asshole...winning is more important to some than not being able to put up with assholes and it's a shame really that we won't be able to see if this particular asshole would've been able to make a difference or not...being cancelled like Ellen DeGeneres for being an asshole just doesn't sit right with me...

Edited by thegx.ca

On 9/18/2023 at 5:09 PM, MoleMan said:

Don't worry. Deboer is the picture of professionalism and the Stars are winning the cup this season. Rest easy, champ.

Actually Gretzky is the picture of professionalism and that still didn't make him the right choice back then either haha...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

Pretty close in my opinion...so he's an asshole...winning is more important to some than not being able to put up with assholes and it's a shame really that we won't be able to see if this particular asshole would've been able to make a difference or not...being cancelled like Ellen DeGeneres for being an asshole just doesn't sit right with me...

I also don't think that everything has to be sunshine and rainbows around the arena, and there will be times where a coach will be required to have direct and pointed discussions with the players. What I don't get is why it has to be such a binary set of options, where the view is that either the coach is an asshole *or* terrible at his job. It is possible to be a good coach who also doesn't take the time to crush and demean the people who play for them.

I suspect this is just an area we won't agree on, and that's cool. I don't think the players should (or need) to be mollycoddled. My Dad was a *very* strict military man who had no time for bullsh|t and didn't go out of his way to make sure that I felt great about every interaction he had with me. The thing is, every time we had a direct and pointed conversation, it was because I had either broken a rule or not lived up to the standard he knew I could achieve, and it was never because he was playing headgames with me. I have no problem with coaches who use the direct approach, such as John Tortorella. It's the difference between tough love and just being tough with people, and I respect that difference. One of them is done with the goal of making you a better person and the other is done with the goal of making one person more powerful than the other.

A coach who's an authoritarian is fine by me, but not one who uses manipulation and devious tactics to gain an advantage over his players. They screw up and get an earful from the coach? Perfectly fine. The coach invites them over for lunch, makes them hand over their phone, and then kicks them out without feeding them? Manipulative. The tweener can't meet  NHL standards of play and needs to be benched, sent to the minors, etc? That's more than fair. The coach approaches the same player before a game and tells them to enjoy the experience while they can because they'll never play another game in an NHL arena in their life?

... I just don't see how that makes a team better.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

A coach who's an authoritarian is fine by me, but not one who uses manipulation and devious tactics to gain an advantage over his players

22 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I just don't see how that makes a team better.

I come not to defend Babcock - the Marner "rating players" story is more than a head game too far. And that's a tip of an iceberg.

But do we know What Actually Happened here?

Team leaders say nothing was a problem and they were sharing photos to get to know each other.

Youngsters and bloggers apparently act like he wanted to see their Grindr search history.  

In the end, it doesn't matter. The story is done. Babcock is done. The Blue Jackets are still the Blue Jackets - a franchise in neutral probably rolling backwards at the moment.

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

I come not to defend Babcock - the Marner "rating players" story is more than a head game too far. And that's a tip of an iceberg.

But do we know What Actually Happened here?

Team leaders say nothing was a problem and they were sharing photos to get to know each other.

Youngsters and bloggers apparently act like he wanted to see their Grindr search history.  

In the end, it doesn't matter. The story is done. Babcock is done. The Blue Jackets are still the Blue Jackets - a franchise in neutral probably rolling backwards at the moment.

:hocky:

You're right; we don't know all of the details. I don't really care for their podcast at all, but Spittin' Chiclets appears to have been pretty on-the-ball with this stuff, and they said that it was more than just the young players who had a problem with it; veterans didn't like it either, Jenner and Gaudreau's public statements aside. This is more than "Oh, these kids are snowflakes today" kind of thing. The example I gave above, where Babcock invited players to his home for lunch, where he then went through their phone and then told them to leave without feeding them is one of the things that happened.

It doesn't seem nefarious to me, but is definitely more of the head game-type stuff again.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The example I gave above, where Babcock invited players to his home for lunch, where he then went through their phone and then told them to leave without feeding them is one of the things that happened.

I hadn't seen that reported, but ridiculous if true.

I've had "icebreakers" at work where we have (voluntarily) shown garden photos, travel photos, baby photos, etc.

Nothing "required" and nothing that forced us to turn over tech.

Kekalainen should probably be out of a job already, too.

Is there another franchise that would put up with this from their GM?

On 9/18/2023 at 10:58 AM, JR Ewing said:

This must be the fastest coaching turnover in history right?

• Like 1