**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

What is a status for Boldy? When he supposed to start playing? 

Just looked at our standing table. We placed the most goals so far in our Division (32), but the opposite teams placed in our net the most goals too (38) which is a lot in only 9 played games this season. Interesting, Maroon in 9 played games has 7 points (1 goal; 6 assists; +/- +1); Addison has 4 assists; Brodin has 1 goal and 3 assists; Faber has 1 goal and 2 assists; Mermis has 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 played games; and Hartman has 9 points (6 goals and 3 assists) in 9 played games. But who has the most points? EEK 10 points (5 goals; 5 assists) so far.

5 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Boldy practicing should be a go.

I hope so, but not at the risk of him possibly re-inuring himself if he isn't quite there.
Last I checked, while he was available to practice, the team still hasn't decided whether he should be cleared to play.

Frankly, if he isn't 100 percent, I'd let him stay out longer, as it is still early in the season, and I don't think a partially healthy Boldy will make much of a difference to this Wild team right now.

A fully healthy one? Sure.
And I am not suggesting Minnesota let the season get out of hand, but let's treat Boldy with care and intelligence.
Young man should have a long career ahead of him...let's make sure his body is really ready to go and not gamble his health at this stage.

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

If Merril cleared waivers and was sent Iowa would his salary come off the cap?

I could be wrong, but I think once a player actually clears, the cap number no longer counts.
While he is still sitting on waivers it does.

If someone knows for sure, please post, but I believe that is how that works.

I found this on The Sporting News

The Sporting News - NHL Salary Cap Rules Explained

What counts towards the NHL's salary cap?
When it comes to the salary cap, there are a number of factors that contribute to it.

Any player that is on the NHL roster has what is referred to as an AAV (annual average value). It's calculated by adding up the contract's total salary and signing bonuses, divided by the number of years in a contract. That goes towards a team's cap hit. 

Any player on an AHL roster with an AAV of over $1.075 million and on a one-way contract will be counted towards the cap as well. Any suspended or injured players will also have their AAVs go towards the cap. 

In addition, any salary retained in a trade, any buyouts and the AAV of a player who signed a multi-year deal at or after the age of 35 and then retired will count.

Merrill has an AAV of $1.2M. So if he is waived and goes to Iowa, he will still count towards the cap. It appears the only way his AAV comes off the cap is if he is waived and another team claims him.

In my opinion, as soon as twitter became an X, then Michael Russo and Joe Smith became invisible for me too. They both were very valuable part of the team news. Now we barely have any info what is going on in the Wild team and around the Wild team. 

Wild trade D Calen Addison to San Jose for a 5th round pick and 22-year-old RW Adam Raska, team reports.

Must signal the return of Jared Spurgeon.

Addison had been acquired from Penguins in the Jason Zucker deal.

Edited by Icechipper

On 11/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, IllaZilla said:

I found this on The Sporting News

The Sporting News - NHL Salary Cap Rules Explained

What counts towards the NHL's salary cap?
When it comes to the salary cap, there are a number of factors that contribute to it.

Any player that is on the NHL roster has what is referred to as an AAV (annual average value). It's calculated by adding up the contract's total salary and signing bonuses, divided by the number of years in a contract. That goes towards a team's cap hit. 

Any player on an AHL roster with an AAV of over $1.075 million and on a one-way contract will be counted towards the cap as well. Any suspended or injured players will also have their AAVs go towards the cap. 

In addition, any salary retained in a trade, any buyouts and the AAV of a player who signed a multi-year deal at or after the age of 35 and then retired will count.

Merrill has an AAV of $1.2M. So if he is waived and goes to Iowa, he will still count towards the cap. It appears the only way his AAV comes off the cap is if he is waived and another team claims him.

(sigh)  Another great impulse buy from Bill Guerin.  I can't see too many teams willing to claim him.  But I think he might be permanently rooted to the pressbox for a while.  

On 11/8/2023 at 1:58 PM, Jimtown guy said:

Addison by subtraction 

There are a contingent of Wild fans who make it sound like the Wild gave away Bobby Orr.  Also, did anyone see Joe Smith's comment that Addison said he was caught completely by surprise by the trade?  If so, then his lack of situational awareness isn't just on the ice.  

• Like 1