**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

Latest rumors out there are the Wild are possibly moving on from Dewey 1 and Dewey 2. Duhaime is a UFA and the Wild haven’t even begun negotiating with him. Dewar is an RFA with arbitration rights, so depending on if he takes the Wild to arbitration he may be moved. And since Guerin made all the logical trading pieces unmovable with NMC’s, that’s pretty much what he has to “improve” the team at the trade deadline. 

I really don’t see the point in trading either Dewey right now. 
1- How much do they expect to get for Duhaime? I’d say maybe a 5th rounder? Is that enough to possibly disrupt the locker room?

2- Dewar is worth more, a 2nd rounder?, maybe? But again is it worth disrupting the locker room and shortening an already very short depth chart?

3- Who replaces them? Shaw? One of the KHL guys? It surely isn’t someone from Iowa. 
Am I that far off on what I think the return on these guys are?
It seems to me trading the Deweys is the sign that they have given up on the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Tomdog said:

I really don’t see the point in trading either Dewey right now. 
1- How much do they expect to get for Duhaime? I’d say maybe a 5th rounder? Is that enough to possibly disrupt the locker room?

2- Dewar is worth more, a 2nd rounder?, maybe? But again is it worth disrupting the locker room and shortening an already very short depth chart?

3- Who replaces them? Shaw? One of the KHL guys? It surely isn’t someone from Iowa. 
Am I that far off on what I think the return on these guys are?
It seems to me trading the Deweys is the sign that they have given up on the playoffs. 

They are looking at Shaw or Khusnutdinov, potentially Yurov as replacements. Shaw I can see, but the other two? I thought Khusnutdinov and Yurov were supposed to be more top six guys. 

Yurov yes.  Khusnutdinov is projecting as more of a middle six to bottom six kind of player.  My guess is they feel they can save some money here.  Albeit not a lot.  Another place where it would've been nice if they would've been able to clear out some older players here...but they liked it here and thus were cemented in with a No Movement Clause.  

If these new guys do come in they don't necessarily need to be direct replacements for the Dewey's.

If they aren't really 4th liners we have a few players who can take that role instead of playing farther up the lineup than they should. 

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Either way, last night's game against Carolina shows the conundrum they are in.  They can go 7-1-1, but you lose once you end up losing ground because those ahead of you keep winning.  One step forward, two steps back...

Exactly. From 2 points back to now 6 points back just like that 

• Good Post 1

Friedman: Minnesota Wild have told teams they are not trading Marc-Andre Fleury.  (shrugs)  It was always his call to begin with since he has a NMC.  Now adding Khusnutdinov, other then selling a bit and maybe weaponizing cap space I think it will be a quiet deadline again.  

Not that it should really be that active (unless we had a firesale which we can't since we've chained up most of the roster) anyways.  

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

According to Michael Russo of the Athletic the Wild have just signed Marat Khusnutdinov to a two year entry level deal…

Here is an article regarding that sign:

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/wilderness-walk/wild-officially-sign-marat-khusnutdinov-to-elc-r29920/

On 10/10/2023 at 11:30 AM, IllaZilla said:

240 goals...that's less than 3 goals per game. Gustavsson and Fleury better be on their game this season...

I was reading our discussion on October 10, 2023. You did a pretty nice calculation and prediction about our goalies to be on top of their game this season. Sadly, for me the biggest disappointment was Gustavsson. Stats of Fleury we knew before the season started. Second disappointment was for me this season poor production of Johansson, Gaudreau, Foligno and Maroon. Unfortunately, plus to that Foligno and Maroon have got injuries later too. Team's production practically based now on production of the 1st line Boldy-EEK-Kaprizov. If they are not producing , then we have less than 3 goals per game. Special mention I would like to have for Rossi. He made an evident progress in his game in comparison to previous seasons.

Edited by Alexandron

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

The Minnesota Wild have signed defensemen Zach Bogosian to a 2 year, $2.5 million dollar extension with a cap hit of $1.25 million annually per season.

You forgot the obligatory NTC…

• Uggh... 2

Speaking of NMC's/NTC's, the Athletic just had an interesting article on the explosion of NMC's/NTC's being given to players over the last decade or so.

Basically it came down to all the expansion and the salary cap. More opportunities for players to move around. So if a GM wanted to keep a guy, it wasn't just a matter of money anymore.

image.png.a12ae11e8d6eb96bc5c55ed87a2e3c80.png

No trade protection on the Zach Bogosian extension.  However, the chart also shows that Wild employ the NTC / NMC bonus more than most of the rest of the league does.  And no team has more NMC's than the Wild do.  I wish I had this chart a few months ago; as I gathered this information just picking my way through Cap Friendly.  

With Colorado likely to be a contender, the 3rd round pick will be pretty late (so its just about a 4th round pick).  It sure would've been nice before we cemented in a bunch of 30-ish year old players to take advantage of other teams wanting to overpay for marginal talent but instead we hold onto it like grim death because they tell our GM "I like it here."  

Not sure if Billy G is done but a 3rd for Duhaime a prospect for Marroon and a swap for Petan. 
Considering Jason Zucker garnered a 6th round pick BG robbed Colorado. Marroon was going nowhere and injured so that he got something for him is a win. 
Petan eh?