Game 25: Pittsburgh Penguins at Philadelphia Flyers; 12/4/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Despite the Saturday win, the O and B are still underdogs (+112) despite the fact that Pitt doesn't do well as the favorite:

https://www.fanduel.com/research/penguins-vs-flyers-nhl-prediction-point-spread-over-under-and-betting-trends-for-12-4-2023

I guess Crosby and Company command more bookie respect, despite their age.  Will the O and B build on Saturday and aim for a sweep, or will Pitt come out with a vengeance?  Our goalie choice will be interesting.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Our goalie choice will be interesting. 

I like the idea that Hart will have someone pushing him to improve if he's going to keep the net.

Ersson has a lot of DAWG in him. I love his compete level and his f-all attitude. 

Maybe Hart has more talent than Ersson? but to this point in his pro career Hart hasn't excelled when things get tough. 

He's still a young man. 

I wonder if some actual competition from within will help him get to the next step?

Either way Sam's play has continued to improve, the more reps he's gotten the better he's played. 

Plus, it looks like he feels invincible in the shootout. 

Stoning Crosby and then Rust (who was like 7 for 9 or something) back-to-back like that was cool.  And it didn't seem like he got lucky on either of those saves... he gave them nothing.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I like the idea that Hart will have someone pushing him to improve if he's going to keep the net.

Ersson has a lot of DAWG in him. I love his compete level and his f-all attitude. 

Maybe Hart has more talent than Ersson? but to this point in his pro career Hart hasn't excelled when things get tough. 

He's still a young man. 

I wonder if some actual competition from within will help him get to the next step?

Either way Sam's play has continued to improve, the more reps he's gotten the better he's played. 

Plus, it looks like he feels invincible in the shootout. 

Stoning Crosby and then Rust (who was like 7 for 9 or something) back-to-back like that was cool.  And it didn't seem like he got lucky on either of those saves... he gave them nothing.

I couldn't agree more.  It makes for a tough management call.  Do we give Sir Hart a contract for x years and declare that we might have a really good goaltending tandem.  Or does Hart become more "expendable," on the assumption he gets quite a lot in return, and we build another tandem?  Tough call, with pros and cons on either outcome.  For this franchise to have that worry....a milestone.  Five years ago we broke the record with eight different goalies in action.  Drafting a goalie stockpile may be paying dividends.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't know...it seems to me the Flyers have a good thing now. "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. 

Grateful:  I would be torn on this if GM.  I think the question is what price will we pay to keep Hart?  I think that if it goes north of 5.5 to 6, and longer than 3-4 years, he may be trade bait.  That is one armchair GM's opinion. 

• Like 1

@Howie58

To me $6mil is below what Hart deserves, going by what I've seen the past ? years. His numbers OTOH probably warrant no more than $6mil. I wouldn't go beyond 5 years.

The thing with Hart - and many of us have mentioned it before - tonight is a perfect example of why his numbers are what they are: yet another odd-man (Sanheim pinches Farabee doesn't cover) and it's an easy tap-in for 87. How many odd-mans has Hart had to face over the years? Probably more than most other NHL goalies the past 5 years. He's already faced 3 and the 1st just ended. Plenty of teams don't give up even 1 odd-man rush the entire game.

Anyway I hear ya - for Briere/Jones re-singing Hart may not be an automatic - but for me he is.

edit: if he was 27 I'd think long and hard but he just turned 25 in August. He should be still in his prime when the Flyers are ready to win PO rounds. Same reasoning I use for Konecny even though he turns 27 in March. I don't see Konecny slowing down for at least another 5 years.

and if the Flyers can't rebuild in 5 years ... they have bigger problems than Hart and Konecny.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Mama mia Foerster's snap shot is absolutely lethal.

btw add another 2 or 3 odd-mans - Flyers' breakdowns and TOs leaving Hart to come up with the rescue. Wow now a 3 on 1 ...Hart is standing on his head! Meanwhile a bunch of great chances - TK, Tippett with at least 2 apiece - and can't bury them.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Wow what game. Ersson played so well in Pittsburgh I'm sure Hart wanted to do the same and man he sure did. Nedelvedic (?) was outstanding as well.

OT win all starts with winning the draw...Flyers ran the play they wanted to... sweet saucer pass by Konecny and Couturier buries it. Whew - beautiful!!

• Like 2

Was the first game I watched the ending this year.

Next Up:  Watch a game from start to finish.  

Nice to see the kids filling in the roles and getting experience.   

They seem to be developing team chemistry and identity which has been lacking for a long time.

• Like 4

If the opposition doesn't show up wanting to play hockey this Flyers team will beat them.

There are some limitations, it is so hard for this group to score for example. But they work so hard, they all back check they all skate they all defend.

When Danny Jonesy said they want to ice a team the city can be proud of, I think this is what they meant. This team does not lack for effort. 

I have a couple of observations, I wonder what others think about 'em.

Haven't noticed Ristolainen very much since his return.  In my life this has meant the defenseman was playing well. He's had some hits, put some shots on net, but mostly has taken his 15 minutes a night and made them uneventful.

Joel Farabee seems to be justthisclose to getting on the score sheet regularly. He's been all around the play, and I think he's been pretty good in the neutral zone breaking up plays and starting transitions.  He looks a lot better than last year's version. Even with his benching the other night-he handled it like a pro, actually handled it like a person who wants to be a leader.  That was some good door duty and tire pumping from a young guy who could have easily pouted all night. He played pretty well in both Pgh games. 

Bob Brink, that kid has some good instincts. He's another one that if he can physically hold/measure up seems poised for a breakout. His stick is always in passing lanes, he is tenacious. He finds the puck and he finds space to do something with it.  He is like a gentler version of Konecny, when he's on the ice he's making **** happen.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Foerster can shoot! A thing of beauty!!

Seems as if I have been waiting my entire adult life for the Flyers to have a true sniper that could fire lasers and WASNT AFFRAID to shoot!!

Looking forward to watching Foerster snipe for years to come!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Seems as if I have been waiting my entire adult life for the Flyers to have a true sniper that could fire lasers and WASNT AFFRAID to shoot!!

Looking forward to watching Foerster snipe for years to come!!!

Well, your wait may be over!

• Like 1