Empty net cross check, suspension worthy ?

Brewin Flames

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Haha, just watched almost two hours on that topic on all angles. Antoine Roussel and Maxim Lapierre, two identical type of players when they were in the League, completely disagreed: Roussel was all on the Leafs' side, giving Reilly a 2-game suspension max, Lapierre said he would have shot harder while making a 360-michigan, and giving at least 10 games to Reilly lol.

I'm wondering how fans in Centre Bell would have reacted if Greig had done it in Montréal... 

10 hours ago, Math said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Haha, just watched almost two hours on that topic on all angles. Antoine Roussel and Maxim Lapierre, two identical type of players when they were in the League, completely disagreed: Roussel was all on the Leafs' side, giving Reilly a 2-game suspension max, Lapierre said he would have shot harder while making a 360-michigan, and giving at least 10 games to Reilly lol.

I'm wondering how fans in Centre Bell would have reacted if Greig had done it in Montréal... 

Oh I am sure Antoine was all in on Morgan's side here.

I mean, he was the type of player that I used to keep on my fantasy team (mostly when he was with your Dallas Stars), simply because I knew at some point in the week, he was gonna lose his $#!& on the ice and give me the PIMs category for the week! 😆

Yeah I was pissed when he didn't re-sign with the Stars even though he was already downtrending. He's pretty good as an analyst on TVA Sports right now and never uses gloves when he speaks (he completely assumes his Golden Knights hatred for example). Still funny to ear his France french accent with the couple of Québec terms in the middle of it. 

12 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Well deserved.
And NOT just because he plays for the Leafs.

But because he took a stick to another player's head.
Talking heads today were all about, "Well, Rielly showed leadership by taking one for the team...showing others they are not to be messed with or disrespected"

That's a load of crap because Rielly could have done that by throwing his stick down and going after Grieg with his hands.
But, then again, that isn't Rielly's game, is it?
Neither is crosschecking a guy with graphite to the noggin.
But he took the easier, emotional way out.
Yea, great leadership.

Guarantee you if Rielly goes after Grieg mano a mano:
A) There is no suspension
B) His point of not disrespecting the Leafs is made
C) People OTHER than Leafs fans could actually get behind his actions.

But bottom line was, and putting aside Grieg's shenanigans is, the took a stick to a fellow player's head.
And the league gave him what he deserved for that.
Period.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

Well, the topic remains red hot. Another opposite statements there:

André Tourigny: "Completely disrespectful from Greig, you don't do that and he should've known. Reilly shouldn't have reacted that way but I understand it"

Philippe Boucher: "The code? What's the f**king code? I have been playing for 17 years in this League and I still don't know what it is. Btw, Greig was completely right. It's the battle of Ontario, let's rise it and give a good show"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Great call. Fully on board. No more, no less.  Don't want him to put a slapper into an empty net?  Don't let him.  This is hockey, not synchronized swimming (NTTAWWT).

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Math said:

Well, the topic remains red hot. Another opposite statements there:

André Tourigny: "Completely disrespectful from Greig, you don't do that and he should've known. Reilly shouldn't have reacted that way but I understand it"

Philippe Boucher: "The code? What's the f**king code? I have been playing for 17 years in this League and I still don't know what it is. Btw, Greig was completely right. It's the battle of Ontario, let's rise it and give a good show"

I'm completely onboard with people saying Greig was out of line, he should've known better, etc.....I won't defend him doing what he did anymore than I would defend Artem Anisimov when he scored on the Lightning years ago, then celebrated by pretending his stick was a rifle and he knelt and aimed as if "killing" the goalie.... The Bolts went after him for that BUT, no one tried to take his head off with a weapon.

And that there is the crux of the Rielly-Greig situation.
Nevermind "codes" or what you do, don't do...... Greig did something wrong, and Rielly escalated it to a dangerous level by taking a stick to the guy's head.
And I am glad, for once, that the league looked at this, and got it completely right with the decision.

If Rielly had gone after Greig, mauled him without using a weapon, then the entire storyline could go something like, "Rielly showed that showboat youngster you just don't do that in the NHL and disrespect an organization like that".
And honestly, from that point, Greig likely is the villain, while Rielly comes off as a hero to even NON Leaf fans.

Like @Tomdog  had said in an earlier post on here:
"I don't see how anyone could see what Rielly did as 'ok'".... despite Greig being bush league.
And I agree with that.

Cro-Magnons like Reaves and some other pro-Maple Leaf people would be singing an entirely different tune if it had been the other way around, no?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

Appeals?? LOL....you kidding me? 😄

"Umm, well, Mr. DPS person.... you see, it really WASN'T me using a graphite weapon cranked across the cranium of my fellow player. No.
Not my game at all. That was someone else.
I suspect I was superimposed onto that footage....and please consider that I play for YOUR Toronto Maple Leafs" 
--- Morgan "Oh Reeeally" Rielly  :ph34r: 

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Appeals?? LOL....you kidding me? 😄

"Umm, well, Mr. DPS person.... you see, it really WASN'T me using a graphite weapon cranked across the cranium of my fellow player. No.
Not my game at all. That was someone else.
I suspect I was superimposed onto that footage....and please consider that I play for YOUR Toronto Maple Leafs" 
--- Morgan "Oh Reeeally" Rielly  :ph34r: 

-"Come on, this is my first suspension."

-"I didn't mean to get him in the head. My stick rode up."

-"As Mr. Rielly's agent, I think these extenuating circumstances dictate a two or three game suspension instead."

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-"As Mr. Rielly's agent, I think these extenuating circumstances dictate a two or three game suspension instead."

Hmmm, I see.....oh, and ...

---Temporary insanity
---Greig told me, as he hit the ice, he thinks Bettman sucks!
---I thought I was hitting Sean Avery
---Dog ate my homework!  :shifty: 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmmm, I see.....oh, and ...

---Temporary insanity
---Greig told me, as he hit the ice, he thinks Bettman sucks!
---I thought I was hitting Sean Avery
---Dog ate my homework!  :shifty: 

Yeah, pretty much. He has an agent and a union and wants to use them to reduce the suspension and missed salary.

9 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

well it is his first…shouldn’t that “count?”

Leveling your stick into a guy’s neck is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the ice. It’s beyond stupid and the consequences should be severe. But the fact is Rielly didn’t get him that bad. “It could’ve been worse” is hardly a defense but it’s true nevertheless. I don’t like to see “discipline-by-result” but the damage or lack of it should be taken into consideration.

As a first offender a 5-game suspension for a crosscheck that resulted in no injury is overkill imho. Any other time of the game and it’s probably a major but I doubt a suspension follows. 

• Like 2

I love fighting and hate suspensions and even I think 5 games is about right...gotta deter idiotic stuff that could escalate into Bertuzzi stuff...anything less than 5 isn't a deterrent but I doubt Bettman has the balls to increase it any...

• Like 1