Empty net cross check, suspension worthy ?

Brewin Flames

Leafs' Rielly cross-checks Senators' Greig after empty-netter

OTTAWA, Ontario -- Toronto Maple Leafs All-Star defenseman Morgan Rielly cross-checked Ottawa Senators center Ridly Greig to the head with 5.1 seconds remaining in a hotly contested game Saturday night between Atlantic Division rivals.

Greig had just sped into the Maple Leafs' zone and fired a slap shot into an empty net, sealing Ottawa's 5-3 victory, and Reilly took exception to the emphatic nature of the goal, setting off a scrum near the teams' benches.

"We obviously didn't like the result on the empty netter," Toronto captain John Tavares said. "So, we're going to stick together and stand our ground when necessary."

Typically, with empty-net goals -- a sign the game's outcome has been decided -- the scoring team simply pushes the puck into the net, or perhaps tries a wrist shot, so as not to show up the losing opponent. Very rarely do they wind up with a slap shot, especially so close to the crease.

"I thought it was appropriate," Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe said after the loss, when asked his thoughts on Rielly's decision. "I'm sure [the league] will look at it, yeah."

Keefe sent out enforcer Ryan Reaves for the final faceoff, but the officials quickly jumped in to prevent a brawl.

"He was reacting to a play," Keefe said of Rielly. "Their player has the right to do what he wants in that moment. And our players have the right to react. And it's the emotions of the game."

Ottawa coach Jacques Martin saw the situation differently.

"He put the puck in the net," he said of Greig. "Whether he shoots it or pushes it, [Rielly's reaction], that shouldn't happen."

Indeed, it was an emotional night in Canada's capital, as Shane Pinto had a goal and two assists for the home team. Claude Giroux, Vladimir Tarasenko and Josh Norris also scored for Ottawa in its return from a 10-day break. Joonas Korpisalo made 31 saves for the Senators before Greig closed the scoring.

"You never really know what Greiger's going to do," Norris said. "I mean, I love it, but I'm sure, obviously, if we're on the other side of that I don't know if we would like it either. I didn't really like the retaliation, but I understand their frustration, but it's over with and I guess it was entertaining."

Auston Matthews scored his NHL-leading 42nd goal for Toronto. Matthew Knies and Max Domi also scored, and Martin Jones stopped 27 shots.

The Senators have won three in a row.

"It was really good," Martin said of his club's first game back. "I really liked the way our players responded and to me that was very satisfying."

• Good Post 1

Hopefully, its 5 games. The 1st game is a huge blow out for the opposition...the Leafs panic, seeing the playoffs slipping away and give up a 1st for a dman. 

This would make the crosscheck the 2nd worst of the modern era for the Leafs. The 1st? Domi's cheap shot on Scott Niedermayer. Leafs never won another game in that series after Domi pulled that stunt. 

• Like 3

Is it part of the code to retaliate because Greig made an empty-netter slapshot instead of simply letting the puck go in? So what's the limit? 60 mph? is a wrister ok?

Reilly should get a 35-game suspension, just to prevent such epic BS thing to happen ever again. If this pisses you, just try to win the game first...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Showboating on an empty netter is weak, but so what.

And i would expect a reaction from the leafs in some way, but a "what for" would have sufficed.

A cross check like that is just silly.

5 Games for being an idiot.

I agree the showboating thing by Greig was highly unnecessary, but then, Reilly didn't need the overkill.
Had Rielly gone towards Greig, shouldered him, maybe even shoved him a bit with a few words, it STILL is a bad look on him, but certainly more acceptable and understandable than taking lumber to the other guy's head!

Picture this:
Woman finds evidence that her husband is sleeping around with the neighbor from Grant Street.
The husband then goes on social media bragging (in code) about what he is doing, not aware his wife knows.
What an awful, heinous thing he did!

Wife then goes and gets the family rifle, shoots him dead as he takes a shower
(🎵 He had it comin....He had it comin.....he took a flower in her prime...and then used her, and he abused her....it was a murderrrrrr but not a crime! 🎵 )..... ahem...sorry bout that...if you know, you know. 😆

So there you go.
Morgan Rielly should NOT have shot Ridly Greig because he cheated on him!
Moral of the story. :shifty: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wife then goes and gets the family rifle, shoots him dead as he takes a shower
(🎵 He had it comin....He had it comin.....he took a flower in her prime...and then used her, and he abused her....it was a murderrrrrr but not a crime! 🎵 )..... ahem...sorry bout that...if you know, you know. 😆

image.png

image.jpeg.1ec7e836ed617027f21c3902727f35c3.jpeg

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Dale Hunter vs Pierre Turgeon 1993, anyone?

Montréal fans that are still putting this in front of the scene to prevent any return of the NHL in Québec City.

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, a simple "WTF was that?" would have sufficed.

Or if you’re that pissed off then drop the gloves and have at it. Crosschecking a guy’s neck is chickenshit and Rielly is better than that - hopefully the discipline dept. doesn’t go overboard. 1, 2 games max imho.

Grieg should’ve been prepared for a reaction though. Act like an a-hole someone may treat you like one.

2 hours ago, Math said:

putting this in front of the scene to prevent any return of the NHL in Québec City.

Wow.  Hunter had been out of Québec for 6 years when he pulled his crap on Turgeon in the ‘93 playoffs.

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Who CARES how the guy scores his empty netter??

You’re right of course. From a logical, detached POV to get that steamed over an ENer, slapper wrister or gentle nudge is ridiculous.

OTOH … skating and banging for 20 shifts - every time you hit the ice full tilt trying to win that shift - logic, emotional detachment go out the window. To watch a guy rub your nose in it with a classless corny dick move like that … Grieg should’ve known something was coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

Wow.  Hunter had been out of Québec for 6 years when he pulled his crap on Turgeon in the ‘93 playoffs.

I mean... Montréal fans... you know, the self-claimed best fanbase of the galaxy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently, Sheldon Keefe, John Tavares, and, shocker....Ryan Reaves and Don Cherry are all ok with Morgan Rielly doing what he did.
FFS.

So...the Toronto head coach, the Toronto captain, the guy trying to stay relevant, and Mr. Loud Suits all agree with what Morgan did.
Safe to say that same group of people would be screaming bloody murder if it were someone on the Senators who did that to say, oh, I dunno, Mitch Marner, Willie Nylander or some such.
They'd be screaming about how the Senators should have taken it hand to hand instead of taking a stick to a guy's face.

But because it was Rielly doing it, THEIR guy, it's ok. Yeah.

Again...I don't need much reason to clown on the Laffs, but not only do I hope Toronto goes into a tailspin missing what is probably their best overall defenseman, but that somehow, two teams in the East play well enough to nudge the Loafs out of the wildcard playoff picture.

THEN we will see how ok all these pro-Toronto figures feel about what Rielly did and what he cost them.
Oh right...they will just blame the league.... 🙄

I don’t understand how anyone can think retaliating for the Senators lack of class by showing them up with a slapshot into an empty net with a cross check to the neck/head is OK. 
A check into the boards or a slash to the thigh maybe. 
But going after the head is definitely intent to injure and needs to go. 

• Like 2