Game 59: Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins; 2/25/24 @ 3:30 PM, TNT, Max

Greetings:

Pitt is favored (-165):

https://www.kfyrtv.com/sports/betting/2024/02/25/penguins-flyers-nhl-odds-total-moneyline/

With the exception of faceoffs, we aren't that different statistically:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-pit/2024/02/25/2023020917

We've taken two of the first three this season.  I hope the Rangers game doesn't leave us depleted. This is an important game for playoffs and psyche.

A Flyers win could make it really hard on the Pens to make the playoffs.

I like the younglings playing meaningful games down the stretch.

It will mean less imo if they don't win any though.

I don't hate the Pens the way I used to, I mean I still hate them but not with the intensity I have for the Rangers and Devils.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't cross the street to pee on Malkenstien if he was on fire. He's still an ugly goon and Crosby is still the most punchable Jonas brother. But seeing those guys wind down is a little sad.

Anyway, must win for the Flyers, will a loss trigger some trades?

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This is an important game for playoffs and psyche.

They could use a win alright after a tough beat yesterday, though if they'd hit the net more often it might not be so tough. 

The Pens have been off for 2 days - Flyers on a back-to-back. More of a "must win" for the Pens I guess. The Flyers generally play well in Pittsburgh - should be a good one...!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They could use a win alright after a tough beat yesterday, though if they'd hit the net more often it might not be so tough. 

The Pens have been off for 2 days - Flyers on a back-to-back. More of a "must win" for the Pens I guess. The Flyers generally play well in Pittsburgh - should be a good one...!

I sense a loss coming. You had an emotional 2-1 loss to the Rangers at home, now your on the road ,back to back games against a rested team that needs the win alot more than the Flyers do. 

35 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I sense a loss coming. You had an emotional 2-1 loss to the Rangers at home, now your on the road ,back to back games against a rested team that needs the win alot more than the Flyers do. 

Pens don't want to win! Flyers 6-1. Pens score 1 if they are lucky.

37 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Your statement would make sense if the Penguins wanted to make the playoffs.  For some reason they rather play golf after game 82!

2 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Your statement would make sense if the Penguins wanted to make the playoffs.  For some reason they rather play golf after game 82!

You can say that about a lot of NHL teams. There are so many teams with much more talent than the Flyers who are totally underperforming this year. On paper we are a bottom ten team. We have Torts who gets the most out of the least and we have a bunch of other teams underachieving. That’s the only reason we are in a playoff spot. You also have  two defensemen who basically did nothing for their entire careers, that are having breakout seasons in their UFA contract years. Don’t be fooled this team has a long way to go in the rebuild.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

You can say that about a lot of NHL teams. There are so many teams with much more talent than the Flyers who are totally underperforming this year. On paper we are a bottom ten team. We have Torts who gets the most out of the least and we have a bunch of other teams underachieving. That’s the only reason we are in a playoff spot. You also have  two defensemen who basically did nothing for their entire careers, that are having breakout seasons in their UFA contract years. Don’t be fooled this team has a long way to go in the rebuild.

Yes I agree on the rebuild!  That's why I say they don't want to win. 

16 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The Flyers need to tighten things up. The deflection was tough to stop. And we need to put pressure on Jarry.

Yep. And as usual the PP hurts the Flyers instead of helping them.

Double-minor - perfect opportunity to break the tie even take a 2-goal lead. Instead, zero attack time for the Flyers. The PP continues to crush momentum it's amazing the Flyers have so many wins with a 10% PP.

• Good Post 1

Petersen has made a couple nice saves. The first 2 - a wide-open Crosby and a Rust perfect deflection - weren't soft goals by any stretch of the imagination. The PP goal - right or wrong I always cut goalies slack when their team is down a man.

The 4th goal was ... not good. PP or no PP that goal was Ugly. I would say "deflating" but the Flyers don't seem to deflate this season. But now they need 3 in a row or at least 2.

edit: make that 2 in a row or at least 1 more... Couturier with the clean win and Sanheim kaboom!

oh lord and the very next shift...Sanheim takes a penalty ... kind of a lame call but interference no doubt. Petersen can redeem himself a bit if he can shut the door on this PP...

Wow yes ANOTHER SHORTY!!!! Who else Scott Laughton...holy crap tie game just like that!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Petersen has made a couple nice saves. The first 2 - a wide-open Crosby and a Rust perfect deflection - weren't soft goals by any stretch of the imagination. The PP goal - right or wrong I always cut goalies slack when their team is down a man.

The 4th goal was ... not good. I would say "deflating" but the Flyers don't seem to deflate this season. But now they need 3 in a row or at least 2.

I really surprised the Pens are winning! 4-3.

7 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Did I mention that Peterson is ****ing horrible?  Maybe Danny can trade him for a worn out puck bag.

All he had to do was standup and cut down the angle on that last goal, instead he goes down, he sucks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Peterson is ****ing horrible!  And then Drysdale gets hurt.  Down to 5 D-men for now.  Let’s hope Jamie is OK.

If Drysdale is out, there goes trading Walker for any assets. Drysdale has been injured two years in a row with Anaheim and missed a lot of time. Hope he isn’t Nolan Patrick the second.

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The 4th goal was ... not good. PP or no PP that goal was Ugly. I would say "deflating" but the Flyers don't seem to deflate this season. But now they need 3 in a row or at least 2.

edit: make that 2 in a row or at least 1 more... Couturier with the clean win and Sanheim kaboom!

oh lord and the very next shift...Sanheim takes a penalty ... kind of a lame call but interference no doubt. Petersen can redeem himself a bit if he can shut the door on this PP...

Wow yes ANOTHER SHORTY!!!! Who else Scott Laughton...holy crap tie game just like that!

Laughton's value is skyrocketing 

It really is. If the rumor last year was true and some GM offered a 1R he'll  fetch at least that now.

and with the dearth of available centers Briere can drive a hard bargain for Laughton. Laughton has a year left on a very reasonable $3mil contract...that makes him even more attractive not less I guess - knowing he won't be clamoring for a raise from whoever signs him... at least until next season...

Edited by GratefulFlyers

13 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If Drysdale is out, there goes trading Walker for any assets. Drysdale has been injured two years in a row with Anaheim and missed a lot of time. Hope he isn’t Nolan Patrick the second.

i don't know, they need to trade what they should and think past this season..if that means a Phantoms call up, so be it...get them assets!!! 🙂

Edited by flyerdog
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow yes ANOTHER SHORTY!!!! Who else Scott Laughton...

and I shoulda said thanks to the skating wraparound attempt by Cates. But even more credit - and a big thank you - to E Karlsson... way to take yourself out of the play - overskate any chance to defend your net! But to be fair he's a defenseman  - in name only.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

i don't know, they need to trade what they should and think past this season..if that means a Phantoms call up, so be it...get them assets!!! 🙂

In looking at that hit on Drysdale, I don’t think he took a head shot, it looks like a separated shoulder or an arm injury.