Game 59: Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins; 2/25/24 @ 3:30 PM, TNT, Max

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

You can say that about a lot of NHL teams. There are so many teams with much more talent than the Flyers who are totally underperforming this year. On paper we are a bottom ten team. We have Torts who gets the most out of the least and we have a bunch of other teams underachieving. That’s the only reason we are in a playoff spot. You also have  two defensemen who basically did nothing for their entire careers, that are having breakout seasons in their UFA contract years. Don’t be fooled this team has a long way to go in the rebuild.

I agree on the rebuild. The Penguins traded Nylander and a conditional 2026 6th round pick for Bernstein (sp). I not sure why Pittsburgh is trading away draft picks.

14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

That may very well happen ....simply put Gauthier no longer wanted to be a part of the Flyers organization.  Would rather cut out a potential cancer now then deal with it 5 years from now.   It is very disappointing this happened.   I get it .... :( 

The most disappointing part is, our first big piece of the supposed rebuild decides he doesn't want to play for the team. Now it looks like we won't be picking anywhere near #5 anytime soon. Hopefully Michkov works out but the anxiety of waiting 2 more years is a killer.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The most disappointing part is, our first big piece of the supposed rebuild decides he doesn't want to play for the team. Now it looks like we won't be picking anywhere near #5 anytime soon. Hopefully Michkov works out but the anxiety of waiting 2 more years is a killer.

Absolutely agree on all points .....  what a huge set back

I just started the thread for #60 and TB.  Our Captain has not had a good stretch of late: 

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2024/02/has-the-flyers-unexpected-success-come-at-the-expense-of-sean-couturiers-game.html

The team is depleted on the D front.  Laughton and Foerster may be coming to life, but our PP is debilitating.  And we don't appear to have a competent backup goalie.  I hope we keep our heads above water.  But I'm fearful this is a squad that's played very well with few degrees of freedom (injuries, offensive talent) that's fraying at the edges.  These last three losses aren't embarrassments.  That said, they expose lack of depth across-the-board.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I just started the thread for #60 and TB.  Our Captain has not had a good stretch of late: 

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2024/02/has-the-flyers-unexpected-success-come-at-the-expense-of-sean-couturiers-game.html

The team is depleted on the D front.  Laughton and Foerster may be coming to life, but our PP is debilitating.  And we don't appear to have a competent backup goalie.  I hope we keep our heads above water.  But I'm fearful this is a squad that's played very well with few degrees of freedom (injuries, offensive talent) that's fraying at the edges.  These last three losses aren't embarrassments.  That said, they expose lack of depth across-the-board.  

We knew this was coming, I just expected it alot sooner. On paper we are a bottom ten team. The Torts factor was the biggest reason we are having a good year. We also have two average dmen having career years and some young guys stepping up as well as TK. Now we lost Hart, we have Ersson tiring out, we have Coots hitting a wall , we lost Drysdale and once we trade the two dmen and Laughton we should drop back to where we really belong and get a better pick. I don't care about then playoffs,I'm more concerned about expediting the rebuild. Picking 20th isn't gonna do it.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 12:13 PM, RonJeremy said:

once we trade the two dmen and Laughton we should drop back to where we really belong and get a better pick. I don't care about then playoffs,I'm more concerned about expediting the rebuild. Picking 20th isn't gonna do it.

And picking 14th or 12th is so much better? I think you’re dreaming if you’re banking on a lottery pick no matter who Briere trades. I don’t see the Flyers losing 10, 15 out of their final 20 do you? They may drop out of a PO / WC spot - it will be tougher to make it w/out those 3 especially if Drysdale misses a lot of games. 

I care about making the POs but not at the expense of the rebuild. Playing meaningful games is always good for a team especially a young team figuring out who they are. The Flyers built an identity this year but pressure changes everything. PO hockey would be an important test for them. It won’t be “Pass/Fail” like it will be when the Flyers become true Cup contenders, but it’ll be a good test just the same. I hope they make it in.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

8 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And picking 14th or 12th is so much better? I think you’re dreaming if you’re banking on a lottery pick no matter who Briere trades. I don’t see the Flyers losing 10, 15 out of their final 20 do you? They may drop out of a PO / WC spot - it will be tougher to make it w/out those 3 especially if Drysdale misses a lot of games. 

I care about making the POs but not at the expense of the rebuild. Playing meaningful games is always good for a team especially a young team figuring out who they are. The Flyers built an identity this year but pressure changes everything. PO hockey would be an important test for them. It won’t be “Pass/Fail” like it will be when the Flyers become true Cup contenders, but it’ll be a good test just the same. I hope they make it in.

Not banking on a lottery pick, but if we can trade up to 12-13 you have a much better shot at getting a good player. The islander’s got Noah Dobson at 12 , go look at his stats, Matt Boldy was also drafted at 12 and we got Farabee with the 14th pick. There are a lot of good defenseman in this draft, we need to make up for the loss of Seeler and Walker. We also have to make up for the injury prone defenseman we just traded for, this is Drysdale’s third major injury in three years. 

I don’t really care about the playoffs, this team is nowhere near as good as the record shows, this is mostly due to Torts. We have a long way to go in a rebuild. Our first big piece Gauthier didn’t wanna play and we traded him for a frail injury prone defenseman who is way behind in his development due to missing so much time. Our second big piece Michkov is coming in a few years hopefully. We have no centers in our system. Our top center, Coots is old has a bad back and is fading.  We probably lost our starting goalie. No team is winning anything without two top caliber centers. We have none and drafting 25-30 with our pick and Floridas pick isn’t getting us the kind of center or defenseman we need. We need to get into the top 15. Don’t be fooled because as Coots hits a wall and we wait 2 years for Michkov this team is gonna  take a big drop next year without the over achieving second pair and without Hart. Even if we draft a center this year he’s three years away from being a factor. We have great young wingers and a few good young dmen, but we are weak at the most important position.

Edited by RonJeremy

The cornerstone of our franchise (Couturier) is making $8M+ per year for a lot more years and is already playing on the fourth line.  There is no fifth line.

Like the Leafs with Tavares, you can sort of do that if you also draft a bunch of super-talented offensive players, but the Flyers don't have a Matthews, Nylander, or Marner on the team.  Maybe Michkov is a Matthews, that would be amazing, but that's not going to do it by itself without a lot more players around him.

The more I think about it, the more I think signing Konecny and hoping to draft their way to contention with just their current picks is reliving the Hextall years over again.

23 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

The cornerstone of our franchise (Couturier) is making $8M+ per year

$7.75M

Another terrible Fletcher move.

They should really change GMs.

Oh, wait...