Game 69: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/19/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Toronto is the favorite (-138) with a 56% win probability:

https://www.dimers.com/news/toronto-maple-leafs-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-odds-nhl-picks-3192024

The PP and scoring are the big statistical differences between the squads:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-tor/2024/03/19/2023021086

We lost 6-2 at home to this squad last week.  They scored two goals in eight seconds.  That is like the opening of the third period against Boston on Saturday--a sign our current D is struggling.  The gauntlet continues, hopefully with some improvement.  

Well, Lycksell can be counted on for zero in his 8 minutes.

Maybe Ginning paired with Attard is the magic Adam needs to become a real boy.

The ship is taking on water, I'm okay with it. 

A swoon will improve the draft position. It's all winning from this point forward. 

38 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Well, Lycksell can be counted on for zero in his 8 minutes.

Maybe Ginning paired with Attard is the magic Adam needs to become a real boy.

A swoon will improve the draft position. It's all winning from this point forward. 

Hhhhhmmmmmm.....

@OccamsRazor

I think the Ryan Johansen "thing" is he injured? where is he going to go? could he be waived when he was? is ****** things up right now.

FTR, I think Johansen's cap hit counts against the Flyers NHL cap so he can rehab- evidently a guy can't be waived and demoted if they're injured. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I think the Ryan Johansen "thing" is he injured? where is he going to go? could he be waived when he was? is ****** things up right now.

FTR, I think Johansen's cap hit counts against the Flyers NHL cap so he can rehab- evidently a guy can't be waived and demoted if they're injured. 

So they can’t send him down for rehab? I thought they had at least a small number of games that allowed it. 
P.S. Not holding my breath for Johansen’s debut in a Flyers uniform.😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

So they can’t send him down for rehab? I thought they had at least a small number of games that allowed it. 
P.S. Not holding my breath for Johansen’s debut in a Flyers uniform.😉

I think he has to be "healed" to be sent down for rehab.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

What I don't get about the RJ gig is that he played two nights before the trade deadline.  WTF was he injured? 

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/03/17/philadelphia-flyers-danny-briere-reveals-truth-about-ryan-johansen-injury/

Did the Avalanche pull a fast one on us?  Did he get injured having sex?  But the bottom line is that he can't be sent down or waived if he's injured.  And if this "injury" is permanent, then we deal with another Ellis mess come next season.  Oh...and I almost forgot...if he's injured, no buyout!!!!

The game-by-game stuff isn't concerning. What is? The guy is signed, thanks to CF, through 2029-2030 at nearly 8 million a year. As many of us have said before, he is not a young 31. I really hope we aren't seeing the post-back surgery Coots, who may be little more than a 3C. 

Couturier a healthy scratch tonight? Wow I didn't think it would come to that but it's not all that shocking. He looked more involved in the Boston game...better than the weeks prior when he went entire games without making a noticeable play. 

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll get there eventually but not tonight. I hate losing to the Leaves.

A higher draft position is a good thing of course - still rather see them make the POs.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I'll get there eventually but not tonight. I hate losing to the Leaves.

A higher draft position is a good thing of course - still rather see them make the POs.

The end of this comment is what I'm most concerned about.

What exactly is he eluding too?

I hate how this stupid X post sometimes.

Sean Couturier on his benching: "Yea it's tough. I feel like I have been putting the work in for a while, now I have been struggling, trying to work on my game, definitely frustrated the way I have been treated lately, but it is what it is."

@OccamsRazor

I can't help but think Couturier is worn down.

On the one hand I understand needing more production and play driving from him. 

Also, everyone is accountable, even the newly named captain. 

I think his play driving metrics are alright, he's not scoring but he's net positive xGf if I understand that metric properly.

....but, I think this move by the coach might not have the desired result. I don't think you can get blood from a stone.

I think Sean is running on fumes. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I can't help but think Couturier is worn down.

On the one hand I understand needing more production and play driving from him. 

Also, everyone is accountable, even the newly named captain. 

I think his play driving metrics are alright, he's not scoring but he's net positive xGf if I understand that metric properly.

....but, I think this move by the coach might not have the desired result. I don't think you can get blood from a stone.

I think Sean is running on fumes. 

As a guy with a nagging back injury I can tell you even when you are feeling  “good “ you are never going to reach your pre injury performance. You subconsciously keep yourself from overextending to prevent re injury of your back.