Game 69: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/19/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Couturier is here until he retires, which won’t be until his contract ends in 6 years.

He’s not gonna last six years , he’s fading fast and will retire early because he won’t be able to play up to his personal expectations. The media and twitter jerkoffs made too much out of this. How about the guy missed two seasons, it’s his first year back and he is out of gas. He just needs a rest. Torts probably wanted to rest him throughout the season but a guy like Coots will not want to sit out, now that he hit a wall , there is no choice. When  you get L5 back surgery it also affects your legs and you feel like you are skating in quick sand, you lose a lot of power. 

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nic D loves him

🤣

The clutch way that Laughton is playing  and his character is really increasing his  trade value. There is gonna be some playoff team that goes out early due to lack of center depth or poor PK , etc and they are gonna believe that a guy like Laughton is what they need. So if someone offers a first I would do it. It’s just more ammo to trade up in this draft.

On 3/20/2024 at 4:02 PM, RonJeremy said:

The clutch way that Laughton is playing  and his character is really increasing his  trade value. There is gonna be some playoff team that goes out early due to lack of center depth or poor PK , etc and they are gonna believe that a guy like Laughton is what they need. So if someone offers a first I would do it. It’s just more ammo to trade up in this draft.

No one offered a first at the deadline, with playoffs looming. If they had, he would be gone. I don’t see his value being higher in the offseason 

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

No one offered a first at the deadline, with playoffs looming. If they had, he would be gone. I don’t see his value being higher in the offseason 

We don’t even know if the Flyers offered up Laughton, I don’t think they did. A team like Toronto as an example, that already has skill but is lacking intangibles and grit and needs PK help, that is exactly the type of team that would give up first or a good prospect in the offseason, especially if they go out early in the playoffs due to the lack of his intangibles. Back in the day the Rangers traded two skilled forwards Tony Amonte and Doug Weight for two Laughtons named Noonan and Mattheau ,because they had enough skill but needed the grit to win in the playoffs. They won the Cup that year and Matteau scored one of the biggest goals in Rangers history. Laughton is a clutch player and a playoff type of guy that teams need, you can’t have an Austin Matthew’s on every line. I know you hate him but teams that are 90%  compelete finally win when they get a Laughton type. 

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We don’t even know if the Flyers offered up Laughton, I don’t think they did

of course they did. Briere said as much. To not even try would be irresponsible. If you choose to overlook this, thats your choice, but it seems contradictory that you would think they will try to trade him in the offseason but not before the deadline. Unless you think they went all in on the playoffs this year, which contradicts everything they've said all season

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I know you hate him but teams that are 90%  compelete finally win when they get a Laughton type.

my personal opinion is irrelevant. I could respond by saying "I know you love him", but again that is irrelevant. I dont disagree that with your view that SL could help a team on the cusp. Im just sayig the Flyers overvalue the guy, and won't get, or got offered, a first round pick. If that had happened, and they didnt take it, then Briere is the boob I predicted he would be back before he was hired

The "book" on Laughton is well-known to the Flyers, not so much by the other GMs. Maybe Briere valued him too highly. I don't think so but it's a reasonable POV. He said he wanted "more than market value" but wasn't offered that. 21's still with the Flyers for now but @RonJeremy is right, trading him on Draft Day could be worthwhile if it allows Briere to acquire a higher pick, don't you think?

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

my personal opinion is irrelevant.

I don't think anyone can dispute that...😄

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The "book" on Laughton is well-known to the Flyers, not so much by the other GMs. Maybe Briere valued him too highly. I don't think so but it's a reasonable POV. He said he wanted "more than market value" but wasn't offered that. 21's still with the Flyers for now but @RonJeremy is right, trading him on Draft Day could be worthwhile if it allows Briere to acquire a higher pick, don't you think?

Of course. And to be honest to @RonJeremy I hadn't really thought about the draft. I was just focusing on "off season" . I think trading him to improve the team is great, regardless of the "when". But here's the thing, what is "more than market value"?

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

of course they did. Briere said as much. To not even try would be irresponsible. If you choose to overlook this, thats your choice, but it seems contradictory that you would think they will try to trade him in the offseason but not before the deadline. Unless you think they went all in on the playoffs this year, which contradicts everything they've said all season

my personal opinion is irrelevant. I could respond by saying "I know you love him", but again that is irrelevant. I dont disagree that with your view that SL could help a team on the cusp. Im just sayig the Flyers overvalue the guy, and won't get, or got offered, a first round pick. If that had happened, and they didnt take it, then Briere is the boob I predicted he would be back before he was hired

I think they did go in for a playoff run that’s why they traded for Johnson and that’s why they kept Laughton and Seeler. Of course they contradicted everything they said , but only to a small degree, at least they didn’t give up first and seconds to beef up for a playoff run, they just made minor deals and kept a few vets who’s main contribution is leadership and character in hopes to make the playoffs but without sacrificing the future like they used to do.   Let’s also clarify , I do not love Laughton, I tolerate him.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Of course they contradicted everything they said , but only to a small degree,

Contradicting what they said all year would’ve meant an absurd (and irresponsible) change in direction. Because remember the first we heard anyone in mngmt say “we want to make the POs” was just prior to the TD. No one either before or after ever said, “but if we surprise everyone and are sitting in a PO spot at the TD, we’ll trade whoever it takes to make sure we drop out of the race.” 

The moves Briere made (and didn’t make) fit with what he’s said all along. I suspect if the team wasn’t in the PO race we would’ve seen more movement but probably not a lot more. 

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The moves Briere made (and didn’t make) fit with what he’s said all along. I suspect if the team wasn’t in the PO race we would’ve seen more movement but probably not a lot more.

I dont get you on this. All along they said it was a rebuild. They said "dont fall in love with" the players. The moves were supposed to be for a rebuild. But you finish ou post by saying they changed at the TD because they were in a playoff race. I see that as a contradiction. You can't say "rebuild" then say we didnt move players because we need to make the playoffs. And if you did switch and decide you were "going" for it, why trade Walker? And of course, Laughton wasnt traded because they wanted more than "market value" (whatever that is, no one has answered it) for him, allegedly because they needed him for the playoffs

so they contradicted themselves, and you appear to have contradicted yourself......

are you really Danny Briere? :dizzysmiley-1:

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I think they did go in for a playoff run that’s why they traded for Johnson and that’s why they kept Laughton and Seeler.

yeah, but this omits trading Walker.

He was by all accounts the 2nd best defenseman on the team. 

I think his play driving was the best of any of the blueliners.

Seeler was injured the week before TD week.

Can't trade an injured player.

Sending a message to the players.  "you matter too" was important to Danny.

So that's why the price for Laughton was too high and he went bargin-bin shopping for an NHL body for defensive depth. 

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

All along they said it was a rebuild. They said "dont fall in love with" the players. The moves were supposed to be for a rebuild.

Very true but all rebuilds are not the same. Some around here, long time Flyers’ fans, question whether what Briere’s doing is a rebuild at all. And you can’t blame them let’s face it Briere is doing a quasi-rebuild, keeping, re-signing some older players while emphasizing he won’t mortgage the future for the sake of one PO run. It’s a multi-year program but nothing that resembles a full rebuild.

So yeah I think his moves fit his words pretty well. If he was truly “going for it” this year he would’ve made a whole slew of different moves. Instead it was a few tweaks, minor moves that shored up the depleted D while picking up another 1R. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers