🟦 2023-24 Round 2, West Semi Finals: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (EDM WINS 4-3) 🟩

Oilers at Canucks  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Canucks True Division Champions, or Do the Oilers Expose Them as Paper Champs?

• Oilers in 4..... Vancouver just really never stood a chance.
    • Oilers in 5.... Like seriously....VAN didn't have a shot, even if they did steal a win
    • Oilers in 6... Good series with some back n forth, but ultimately showing the Oilers were the better team all along
    • Oilers in 7.... Fantastic set that seemed to come down to the little things. Little things the Oilers did better.
    • Canucks in 4.... Unless it's the Kings they play, the Oilers aren't beating anyone else, says VAN
    • Canucks in 5... Execution fails the Oilers in a big way, while the Canucks do just the opposite and mostly breeze through the set.
    • Canucks in 6.... Well now, look at that. Vancouver deserved that Pacific crown after all..despite the powerful Oiler charge!
    • Canucks in 7.... Very heated set and one way or the other, the Canucks find their way to elation in the West Finals, while dealing frustration to the Oilers and their fans

just a brutal series from the looks of it.

i should get a chance this week since i'm back home to check in on some.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The heck???

Calvin "Jean Luc" Pickard in for Stuart Skinner??

Ohhh, boy....someone on the Edmonton offense better have a monster game, or Pickard better play the game of his life!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Math said:

Who would've bet on a Silovs-Pickard match-up on the playoffs second round a couple of weeks ago...?

Yea....that horse would have been so dark, you'd need a high contrast lens to see it! :ph34r: 

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I can appreciate Darnell Nurse's physicality, but that punch to Dakota Joshua's face was just stupid...
PP Vancouver.

Not to mention the cross-check prior to that. Nurse has probably the worst quality/price ratio among Dmen in the League.

• Like 1

Just now, Math said:

Not to mention the cross-check prior to that. Nurse has probably the worst quality/price ratio among Dmen in the League.

Did you see Dakota Joshua's face when Nurse hit him?
He 'no sold' that like Hulk Hogan getting punched before pointing the finger! 😆

He knew he just scored the penalty victory on that!

43 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Calvin "Jean Luc" Pickard in for Stuart Skinner??

What better time to get your 2nd ever playoff start at 32 what could go wrong.

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What better time to get your 2nd ever playoff start at 32 what could go wrong.

I'm sure Flyer fans can come up with a menagerie filled with creatures that could go wrong 
You guys have seen some stuff from him.....things that....man..... not sure how you have your sanity still. :bigteeth: 

• Haha 1

Never a bad play to shoot the puck of the net. Boeser gets the deflection from I think Joshua with the Vancouver net empty. Why there were two Canuck players and only one Oiler in front of Captain Pickard, I have no idea.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nice job by Bouchard of getting that big shot of his on the net. I think it was deflected in front by Draisaitl. Oilers regain the lead with 38 seconds left in regulation. 

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oilers win, 3-2. This was a really good hockey game. I think this series is going to go 7.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🟦 2023-24 Round 2, West Semi Finals: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (Series Tied 2-2) 🟩

Coach Knoblauch finally did the right thing and got Cody Ceci off of that second-pairing, and bumped the mean and nasty Vincent Desharnais. Freed from Ceci, Nurse had a 65.2% xGF% last night. I went to Natural Stat Trick and checked out how Darnell Nurse, who has received the lion's share of minutes with Ceci, to see how he's fared with and without for the last three playoffs:

image.png

It's not just Darnell Nurse who suddenly looks a lot better when they don't share the ice with Cody Ceci. Of his Oilers teammates who have played 60 minutes, each and every one of them had marked improvements. Across the board.

image.png

Cody Ceci can defend well enough, but he simply spends too much time defending. For those who go on about Darnell Nurse as a player, those numbers away from Cody Ceci are as good as anybody in the league. His biggest problem is that he has a 210 lb boat anchor strapped to him on the ice.

---

Stuart Skinner - this marks two seasons now where he was solid and reliable in the regular season, and dreadful in the playoffs. No team has combined the creation of dangerous chances and limited the number of dangers chances against in these playoffs better than the Oilers, but they almost found themselves down 3-1 due to Skinner's inability to make saves.

image.png

The Oilers should be up 3-1 in the series and could have even swept if Skinner had been approaching something even just average. I don't know if that means he needs to be flushed, but there's an issue here.

Regular Season Numbers:
SV% - .909
Quality Start% - .593
Really Bad Start% - .186

Playoff Numbers
SV% - .881
Quality Start% - .300
Really Bad Start% - .450

Not too many goaltenders carve out terrific careers when nearly half of their playoff starts are really bad. This is now two years in a row where he's been out-duelled by a team's AHL starter.

---

Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid are the two greatest living playoff performers, and that's not up for debate. Here are their positions among the all-time leaders in key categories for playoffs:

image.png

Move over, Barry Pederson.

---

I can't believe how well Arturs Silovs has played, considering the degree of difficulty in what the Canucks have asked of him.

• Like 1

Broken record, but the refs are missing egregious penalties by both teams but, as ever, are making sure to make the nickle-and-dime calls.

-Brilliant 2nd period from the Canucks. By far, their best of the series. They won just about every notable puck battle, but a major deal was also

-The Oilers defense made poor outlet pass after poor outlet pass. Sometimes, it was due to strong forechecking but there was also a lot of pure whiffs in there.

-Ekholm has been under the weather. Possibly gotten around to the rest of the team?

JR, how do you Edmonton fans put up with having the most talented player on the face of the earth missing out on a Stanley Cup because they can’t get a goalie?

This series is seriously the battle of the back up goalie. 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🟦 2023-24 Round 2, West Semi Finals: (P2) Edmonton Oilers at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (Series Tied 3-3) 🟩

Well, game 7 tonight... The Canucks lose their top goal scorer to health concerns that are bigger than the sport, and the Oilers hope that they can shake the illness which has been making its way through the team. There are no guarantees in game 7s and the dice have no memory.

In about 10 hours, one fan base will be in heaven and another will be in searing pain.

On 5/17/2024 at 5:23 AM, Tomdog said:

JR, how do you Edmonton fans put up with having the most talented player on the face of the earth missing out on a Stanley Cup because they can’t get a goalie?

This series is seriously the battle of the back up goalie. 

Fans are going to have finally come to the realization that, from 2006 on, the salary cap has changed the game. The cap has forced a re-defining of what constitutes a dynasty, has ended the era where every team had enforcer or two or even three, and the salary cap will also mean that some of the greatest players to ever put on a pair of skates will probably not win a Cup. I said it two years ago and say it now: it could very well come to pass that the Oilers trip to the Conference Finals against the Avs may be the furthest they ever go.

It's just how it is now.

• Like 1