☣ 2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (A2) Boston Bruins at (A1) Florida Panthers (FLA WINS 4-2) ㊗

Bruins at Panthers  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Lots at stake. Which team moves forward with their championship destiny?

• Bruins in 4.... Raw momentum carried over from beating Toronto propel Boston way over the Panthers
    • Bruins in 5.... Any good fortunes the Panthers got away with against TB, doesn't happen here. And they fall hard.
    • Bruins in 6.... Hard fought series that sees the Bruins continue on what they started to try to do last year.
    • Bruins in 7.... Boston always makes things interesting, and this series is no different. Takes them the full 7, but get rid of the Cats nonetheless
    • Panthers in 4... Boston depleted after the emotional highs of the Toronto series? This FLA sweep says perhaps...
    • Panthers in 5... Bruins try, but Florida simply is looking more n more like a team of destiny this year.
    • Panthers in 6... Very good set with lots of twists n turns....but the biggest twist is the Bruins falling to the better team this year.
    • Panthers in 7.... 'Cinderellas' no more. Even the toughest pundit can't deny the moxie shown by the Cats, as Game 7 isn't as kind to the Bruins this time.

Posted (edited)

bosatfla.thumb.jpg.c44baf075be5128933a05bcfc3f29c9b.jpg

Some team numbers to this point:

BOSTON BRUINS
GF/G:   2.57,  GA/G:   1.71

PP%:  35.3,   PK%: 95.2

Won their first round against the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-3

FLORIDA PANTHERS
GF/G:   4.0,   GA/G:   2.8

PP%:  23.1,   PK%: 80
Won their first round against the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-1

These two had been battling all year for the top spot in the Atlantic, with Florida putting just a bit more surge at the end to take the division title.
Kind of appropriate that they should meet now to see which team exits the divisional semi finals and onto the East Finals.

Bruins had their ups n downs against the Leafs, and in fact, it looked like they might even lose the set after going up 3-1. 
But when it mattered most, and when they needed that win in Game 7, they got it done. Took them OT in that game, but got it done, and sent the Leafs spiraling yet again.

Panthers meanwhile, according to the series numbers "dominated" the Lightning. They did play excellently against the Bolts, but really, I think TB played a lot better than the series final suggested, and the Bolts did have some bad luck with disallowed goals or not being able to beat posts when they had Bobrovsky down n out.
Still though, there is no question the better team won, and the Panthers, dubbed a Cinderella team last year (I don't buy that personally), is no doubt a heavy favorite to win it all this year....should they be able to get by the Boston Bruins that is.

Kodiaks vs Pumas series talk....right here.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

Posted (edited)

I think Florida is better.

Hockey is a weird sport where a less talented team can beat anyone. But it's proven to be unsustainable over 7 games.

The Bruins just played over their heads for 5 games. 

I don't they can keep it up vs a healthy Florida team that plays with urgency.

I think FLA knows this is it for this group to play together. For a lot guys it's their best chance to win a 'chip. That knowledge looks to be motivating rather than daunting.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah Florida in 6 I'm thinking...but I won't be shocked if Boston wins instead either...

Edited by thegx.ca

Dammit....I really want the bruins to win this series, the homer in me says bruins in six.

The realist in me says panthers in 5/6, as boston gets a win or two.

I just don't see them beating a jam filled panthers team and a hot bob.

Please let me be wrong.

• Like 1

As much as I want to see the Bruins win this series, I am not sure it's going to happen. They had the panthers number this season, and have a score to settle in the playoffs, but I just am not sure it's enough. Even if they did win a game, Monty would mix it up in the next one. The up side is I would really love to see the Rangers and Panthers in a series. Not sure how much of either team would be left to play for the cup, but it would be a fun battle to watch.

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Dammit....I really want the bruins to win this series, the homer in me says bruins in six.

The realist in me says panthers in 5/6, as boston gets a win or two.

I just don't see them beating a jam filled panthers team and a hot bob.

Please let me be wrong.

Yes, please let you be wrong! F the Panthers. They need to go DOWN! Bruins in 6.

Pasta is back. Marchy will kick butt. Bob will get a groin pull!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Florida is better.

Hockey is a weird sport where a less talented team can beat anyone. But it's proven to be unsustainable over 7 games.

The Bruins just played over their heads for 5 games. 

I don't they can keep it up vs a healthy Florida team that plays with urgency.

I think FLA knows this is it for this group to play together. For a lot guys it's their best chance to win a 'chip. That knowledge looks to be motivating rather than daunting.

I disagree that Florida is better. The Bruins have more talent.

Where they excel over the Bruins is pure URGENCY. If the Bruins play with the same URGENCY of the Panthers, they will win.

The Bruins Achilles heel is lack of URGENCY. It's almost as if they feel entitled to win without much effort. If they get over that, look out Bob!

• Like 1

Florida is confident, on a roll and a much better defensive team this season, and Bob is playing better than he was last year. As long as they stay out of the box, they'll beat the Bruins in 5 or 6. I'm going Panthers in 6.

Florida needs to be a little better with the puck, and stay out of the box. Pastrnak thinks he still playing against the Leafs. Keep the puck from him as much as possible.

The panthers are making some glaring mistakes but overall they aren't playing that poorly. Bruins capitalized on their chances and bruins getting more from their goalie.

Goalies: :panthers:

Defense: :bruins:

Offense: :panthers:

Special teams (PP/PK): :panthers:

Coaching: :panthers:

Mental: :bruins:

Experience: :panthers:

Robustness: :bruins:

Depth: :panthers:

Bennett will be the X-factor there. I've always thought that the Bruins' centerline is their weakness but it's not really apparent so far. For this revenge, it has to go to the limit.

Panthers in 7.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to ☣ 2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (A2) Boston Bruins at (A1) Florida Panthers (BOS Leads 1-0) ㊗
6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The Panthers have been a little flat tonight. Boston definitely has more jump.

Yep...layoff killed the panthers, bruins still high from game # 7

I am surprised by game one results to say the least.  Having just won a game 7 and getting off a plane , likely at Ft Lauderdale, the tropical 🌴 paradise there usually gets the best of one coming from the NE US or Canada.  Boston obviously was looking at Florida all year waiting for payback? I won’t say they will get it after only one game but this is a game I would have expected Florida to have a decisive advantage?  My parlay went up in smoke thanks to Boston.  I really can’t believe the Leafs fought so hard and then such a fast end.  We will see tomorrow if maybe Florida took the first one for granted?  I’d expect them to show up tomorrow 

Swayman way better than Bobrovsky in game one. Maybe Bob's time is over. Last night could kill his confidence :)

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 6:54 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Edwards: " No call on that? Just how much money is being paid to the official to NOT call that? COWARDS!" :ph34r:  :bigteeth: 

I miss NESN. No Jack and Brick on all these Bruins games is sad. Jack can drive me crazy sometimes, but I still like them better than any other announcers I have ever heard. And Brick is amazing. He is virtually never wrong. And he sees the ice like no one.

Big time comeback by the Panthers.

I still believe they may be a Stanley Cup finalist.
We will see.

No Sam Bennett for them is huge though....that guy is the epitome of white collar skill and blue collar work combined!
And a damned good face off man with some sandpaper to his game.

Still, Florida should have plenty even without him to hold their own against the B's.
Interested to see how Florida now fares on the road in front of a hostile Boston partisan crowd!

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to ☣ 2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (A2) Boston Bruins at (A1) Florida Panthers (Series Tied 1-1) ㊗