Eric Wellwood

Guest flyercanuck

Since nobody else is starting one, it's about time for a thread about our resident Ferrari Enzo...Eric Wellwood. I figured since he scored the only goal last night (even though it was a fluke) he deserved a thread. I can't believe jammer hasn't been all over this. And as much as I hate those Spitfire bastards, I really like this kids game.

No he's not the most talented player out there. But his work ethic (JVR-take note) and speed make up for other deficincies. Even though he's smaller than most of the guys he's up against, he's willing to battle it out in the corners. All this has paid off with some decent goal production, not to mention a +9 in 15 games. And did I mention his speed? Nice pick Homer.

No he's not the most talented player out there.

Did you watch the PIT game on the weekend? The announcers (NBC), which was most of the regular Pens guys, said that Wellwood was known for his slick skills. I thought, well that's the first time I've heard that! Confusing him with his older brother maybe? Except they mentioned he was Wellwood the younger. Just morons I guess.

Agreed. Great mid-round drafting by Homer et al

Since nobody else is starting one, it's about time for a thread about our resident Ferrari Enzo...Eric Wellwood. I figured since he scored the only goal last night (even though it was a fluke) he deserved a thread. I can't believe jammer hasn't been all over this. And as much as I hate those Spitfire bastards, I really like this kids game.

No he's not the most talented player out there. But his work ethic (JVR-take note) and speed make up for other deficincies. Even though he's smaller than most of the guys he's up against, he's willing to battle it out in the corners. All this has paid off with some decent goal production, not to mention a +9 in 15 games. And did I mention his speed? Nice pick Homer.

I was saying to myself last night I can't believe how good this kid is..this kid can fly..how does the Flyers get so many quality rookies? amazing

Count me in on the Wellwood bandwagon, he's looked GREAT, he really stood out to me against Pittsburgh, his speed is incredible. This team is looking so deep right now, we don't even have Harry Z in the lineup anymore and we've still got young guys who can step up!

Well it's not like he doesn't have any skill. He scored over 30 goals his last year in Windsor. But it's definately his motor and wheels that make his game.

Outrageous wheels. If his hands were half as good as his feet he'd be a Marian Gaborik clone.

Love this kid. I first took note of him early last season when he saw a little action. Was very impressed by his speed and work ethic on the ice. Disappointed when he got sent back down but understood that he needed some more development time that seems to have paid off nicely. He is only going to get better. He should be a strong 3rd or 4th liner next year.

I just remember Jammer saying that this Wellwood was the best penalty killer he's ever seen in junior, so i was expected him to be quick and determined, but i had no idea he'd have the wheels he does, i haven't seen a faster skater this year, Harry Z was the only other skater i've seen where i've been like holy sh it that guy is fast and I think Wellwood might be faster. i liked the NBC crews reaction to his shifts last week too, McGuire knew he should know him but i think got him confused with his brother, and Edzo seemed shocked by 47's speed.

Edited by mojo1917

The guy can flat out sled, no doubt. HE doesn't have the finish yet, but that may not even be that big of a deal. If I was on his line and I saw him speeding up the wing, I would have one destination in mind -- head to the net, there's gonna be a rebound.