Leafs are horrible

Guest JackStraw

Don't mean this as a flame, but this team is just brutal. Phaneuf looks completely useless. Franson seems like the only one who can play any defense. I know it's fun to bash the Leafs but honestly, even Leafs fans deserve better than this.

@JackStraw

Their season as mediocre as it was ended when Lupul when on the IR.

Since when is Lupul Sidney Crosby? I mean other teams lose players better than Lupul, you can at least try to compete. The Islanders suck but they play hard. The Leafs are a mess. Burke should be fired imo. He's accomplished absolutely nothing in four years.

@JackStraw

The Leafs are a mess. Burke should be fired imo. He's accomplished absolutely nothing in four years.

I agree Jack it is hard to determine what Burke has done for the franchise.

But up until early March I thought the Leafs had a shot at the playoffs, similiar to Buffalo and Winnipeg, but they folded when Lupul went down.

I loved the Let's go Blue Jays chant! Imagine that, Canadian fans chanting for baseball over hockey. What an embarrassment! Let the throwing of waffles commence!

The laughs continue!!!!

Edited by Poulin20

Don't mean this as a flame, but this team is just brutal. Phaneuf looks completely useless. Franson seems like the only one who can play any defense. I know it's fun to bash the Leafs but honestly, even Leafs fans deserve better than this.

Just finished watching the monumental beat down the Flyers put on the Laffs tonight and I did feel a fleeting moment of pity for the fans. The broadcast crew and the fans brutalized them relentlessly and they deserved all of it because they gave up a month ago. First order of business this off season (after firing Burke): change team leadership. Phaneuf as captain is like having Milan Lucic as captain; stick work and cheap shots after the whistle aren't leadership. Phil Kessel with the "A"? That's like giving it to Zherdev. They are a disaster.

@JackStraw

I agree Jack it is hard to determine what Burke has done for the franchise.

But up until early March I thought the Leafs had a shot at the playoffs, similiar to Buffalo and Winnipeg, but they folded when Lupul went down.

They had a shot at the playoffs maybe, but that's the same story as pretty much every year. They flirt with being respectable. And I have a hard time thinking of Lupul as a franchise type player. I mean, if losing him destroys your team what does that say about the rest of the roster, and the GM who has assembled that roster? And losing Lups couldn't have hurt their defense much, and their defense is atrocious. They need a goalie, they need defense, they need forwards, they need character. Is there anyone on that team that makes you think, "man, I would love to have that guy on the Flyers"?

@terp - I would fire Burke too, then try to trade Phaneuf and Kessel, and probably anyone else I could get a decent return for. Try to draft some players that will actually be good, bring in a couple veterans for leadership, and let the team grow. Don't even worry about the playoffs for a couple of years.

@JackStraw

I have a hard time thinking of Lupul as a franchise type player.

ummm, yeah, but for what it is worth, Lupul did have 67pts prior to his injury. Not that he is a franchise player or anything, but he did have some dececnt chemistry with Kessel. The biggest problem is they are a one line team, or played like one. As far as the D goes they always look twice as bad as they are when the forwards don't play defense. We've seen that happen with the Flyers too. And there isn't anyone I would want from the Laufs roster. Burke's reign has been a failure.

@JackStraw

I think Phanuef has value. He just needs to get rid of the "C" because it is confusing him and getting I the way of his game. As you said, he looks clueless. He gets into confrontations and then seems to try to reason with opponents. WTF? I'm not sure who would want that lazy **** Kessel. He's scored the quietest, softest 80 points in the history of the league.

@terp - I think both Kessel and Phaneuf have value, but it seems to me that the Leafs are far enough from serious contention that they'd be better off trying to get draft picks and prospects to get the rebuilding going. A team that needs scoring (and that has cap space) might be interested in Kessel. On a good team he might lose some of his bad habits (like cherry-picking at the end of a game that you're losing 7-1).

@JackStraw

Maybe they will bite the bullet and take less than they paid for Kessel for all the world to see, after firing Burke of course. No other way to do it. I can't imagine who would want him though I'm sure you're right that someone must. Phanuef will be easy to discard. He can play but needs a change of zip codes.

@JackStraw

I like how TSN game recap, they have a related articles section. There is one titled "Draft Lottery Standings".

That is the only thing that leafs fans have to cheer for anymore. They are 1 point out of being in the bottom 5 teams (that are eligible for the lottery).

@flyercanuck - yup. I feel sorry for Carlyle in all of this, although he's a grown man and cannot be surprised at what he was getting himself into. Pretty tough though when you're GM has saddled your team with a bunch of turkeys.

Gardiner is the only player on that team that I'm remotely interested as a hockey player. Maybe Grabovski..

@JackStraw

My goodness those reporters are brutal. To broadcast the word "crap" when describing the home team has to cut right to the core.

Bryzgalov would have been on suicide watch during his lost in the woods tenure had he played for the Leafs.

Hard to imagine that it has been 8 years since they have seen the post season.....

@Bertmega - yeah, that guy on the news didn't beat around the bush. Almost makes Philly reporters look tame.

I think they've maybe finally hit the boiling point here. I mean the Leafs have been bad for the most part for 45 years. But Burke came in and made all these promises...none of which he's kept I might add. Oh, the Marlies are better than they were. The Leafs, on the other hand, are worse. The media around here has been pro-Leaf for way too long. It's time to get out the tar and feather. They want a parade? Well, a lynching is kinda like a parade.

I think they've maybe finally hit the boiling point here. I mean the Leafs have been bad for the most part for 45 years. But Burke came in and made all these promises...none of which he's kept I might add. Oh, the Marlies are better than they were. The Leafs, on the other hand, are worse. The media around here has been pro-Leaf for way too long. It's time to get out the tar and feather. They want a parade? Well, a lynching is kinda like a parade.

I'll be shocked if Burke isn't fired after this season. I can't think of anything that he's done that would justify him keeping his job.

Although I agree he should be fired (I'd have terminated his arse just for thinking of making the Kessel trade) I don't think it will happen. I think they wait until his contract runs out next year. This team he's built doesn't resemble, in any way, the team he said he was going to build in Toronto.