CAPS TAKE OUT BRUINS

Guest jkearse123

The Capitals played a good defensive game but they have very little firepower and didn't face a pure offensive team like the Flyers. Plus Boston wasn't as good as everyone made them out to be. I don't see why the Flyers couldn't handle anyone in the East with ease (minus the Rangers) barring they play like they did in Game 6 every game. Holtby is the man but he has a weak glove and the Flyers have the shooters to exploit that. It would be a good series but I'm not too worried about the Capitals.

the people that laughed when they brought Hunter in as coach. Its kind of laughable to me how people think that an ex-player has to be a Mario Lemieux, Gretzky type (oops, did I actually say that?) to have any success as a coach.

I actually think average to crappy former players make BETTER coaches than Superstars..... they didnt rely as much on raw talent and had to work harder to understand

the game and utilize types of skills to hang on in their career..... whereas Superstars dont have as much patience w/ certain players and ways of the game because everything just came so easy to them, so they get too frustrated when guys cant perform certain tasks like they could have....

• Like 2

@NJSikkbreed

By and large I agree, but I think we need to be careful to not paint it with too broad a brush. For example, I think Messier, Sakic and Selanne would make good coaches. In large part to their leadership capabilities and persaverance in the game (longevity).

Lol. Wouldn't it suck if we're all here cheering the Caps and it's them that end up beating us

I have same idea. I hope we are not going to see Caps next

There's a reason I don't cheer for matchups. Play who's in front of you.

Agree. We should play any team and win. Hell Flyers just beat best team in league accordingly NHL analysis

I really think Overchicken blows that team up if he keeps getting such little ice time.

Ov is played only 12 min and it was middle 3rd period. I see Hunter don't like him, because his team defensive mind now, they are reminding me Devils at their best years. Slow but study play defense and score when opportunity comes.

@phlfly,@ruxpin

"Ov is played only 12 min and it was middle 3rd period. I see Hunter don't like him, because his team defensive mind now, they are reminding me Devils at their best years. Slow but study play defense and score when opportunity comes."

Actually, I think a bigger deal is being made out of this than should be. With the exception of rotating a center Laich or Backstrom, OV got just as much ice time as everyone else ES and still was out on the #PP unit.

The biggest thing that can be said is hunters bench management. What he opted to do was to try and not burn out his top players, but balance out the load for the most part across three lines to keep the players fresh. Hunter relied more on the center man and used wing pairings more than set 3 man line units.

In the end, OV was third in icetime throughout the series. The leading other three in the top 4 were all centers.

The biggest thing that can be said is hunters bench management. What he opted to do was to try and not burn out his top players, but balance out the load for the most part across three lines to keep the players fresh. Hunter relied more on the center man and used wing pairings more than set 3 man line units.

Well, it's different. Interesting philosophy considering it kind of says to hell with line chemistry. But, it worked. I think Hunter has done a good job with that team so far. Semin is backchecking. That's all you need to know right there.

they are reminding me Devils at their best years.

Agreed. And Ovechkin looks like Kovalchuk when he first went to Jersey. Like he's out of place and not sure how to adapt.

---

I don't really relish the idea of having to play the Rags in the playoffs, but if Washington beats them, it's not like I really want to play them either at that point. On the other hand, it could make them this year's Canadiens (i.e., do all the Flyers heavy lifting because of a hot goalie who then falters against the Flyers). Wouldn't that be nice?

@Vanflyer

Hunter always had the Knights play competetive. And as much as I hated that rat-faced weasel he was a heck of a player for the Nords and Caps. It sure looks like he's got the Caps playing like he did, working hard every shift and playing a team game. Except Ovechkin, who STILL thinks it's all about him scoring, not the team winning.

i really wasnt trying to comment on any other of either teams goals. i was just referring to the hockey play in OT that resulted in a goal.

Ya, I was just pointing out that was the type of goal Boston would score. It sucks to lose that way, but, live by the sword...

@doom88

Actually it is not that foriegn of a philosophy. Hitchcock used to deploy the same approach at times. If you think about it, it actually makes sense. If you can get wingers that work well together, it gives you more options on both the matchups and also distribution of ice time. I like the approach as it gives the lines a constant different look that keeps the opposition off balance, while having some consistency in the wings knowing each other.

Try it in your beer league and watch what happens. Match your centermen to the situation and rotate the wings. The one thing I can gurantee you is that there will be no b i t c h i n g on the bench about ice time!

@flyercanuck

"Hunter always had the Knights play competetive. And as much as I hated that rat-faced weasel he was a heck of a player for the Nords and Caps. It sure looks like he's got the Caps playing like he did, working hard every shift and playing a team game. Except Ovechkin, who STILL thinks it's all about him scoring, not the team winning."

I had to chuckle when people snickered about him being named the Caps coach. You of course got to see him coach in Juniors (he also is part owner of the Knights, correct- same as the Roy situation?).

I think people just look at him as a tough guy only. Yet, he kind of reminded me of a mix between Berube and linseman. He was absolutely nasty with his stick and could also fight, yet you could not forget to check him because he could pot some goals as well.

Those playoff series with the Flyers in the 80's were brutal.

Ya, him and Mark own the Knights and have built a pretty damn good franchise there. London just swept Kitchener and is about to play Niagara for the OHL championship. If they win it will be their 3rd in 12 years.

Dale Hunter put up over 1000 points in the NHL. He had many 70 point seasons and was one of the biggest PITAs to play against in the history of the game. He would have made a great Flyer.