Are we playing the wrong system?

Guest fishbulb

Not sure if this has been mentioned...

If you look at the other surviving teams in the playoffs, there are a few obvious patterns/similarities.

Ok, you gotta have good goaltending... duh.... I know Bryz hasn't been our major problem, but the only reason we won the first series is b/c Fleury was even worse.

But I think the other major issue is the style of play the Flyers use.

St.Lou, LA, NYR, even WASH! are playing a stifling/trapping style of hockey. Is our run and gun method just not suited for the playoffs? I guess Tampa won using an agressive style (can't remember Carolina's)... every other winner seems to have been a defense first team.

As good as Lavi is, does his system have to go?

• Like 1

That's an interesting observation, Fish. I was questioning his go-go style for a long time. And I think at times it got us in trouble and cost the Flyers games.

But here is what I find puzzling. In *this* series, the Flyers are attacking less. The Devils are the team that's pressuring more. But what's worth noting is that they are actually doing it methodically, and the Flyers don't seem to have answers to that style of play.

So I am trying to figure what it is Lavy is trying to implement in this series... what system. We are not attacking with enough intensity, but we are not playing defense-first either. What is it exactly he is telling the boys to do?

Well, we used to play that way too (minus goaltending) and had much more futile results than we've had lately. And those 'Hitchcock' years we're some boring frickin' hockey to watch! We'd bring in all these marquee names and their numbers would plummet. Low scoring and we'd still lose on the 'short side' goal from a rediculous angle.

I find Lavi's style refreshing and exciting to watch. And yes you give up more goals, but that frustration is tempered because I know that the team can make comebacks, where it used to be, if the team got behind, there was likely no chance the score would change. Yes I think its harder to win the cup this way, but I'd rather loose, than watch the 'trap' all season long!

What we need, is a goaltender who can ride in this system. One with great reflexes, who performs well on oddman rushes, break-aways( + shoot-outs for the love of Pete!) who can stay mentally even amist a relatively chaotic game tempo(sounds just like Bryz don't it;). I guess we have to hope that Bryz can adapt. If not, I don't see his hot streaks lasting long enough to win 4 series in a row:(

• Like 1

@ jackhole My biggest problem with this system though is that while exciting, it's VERY easy to be tamed by a 'hot' goalie... it's not a system to win 2-1 games. Playing a goalie like Quick, Lundqvist, etc. who won't give up more than 2 will give us fits b/c we're going to give up 3 playing this way. (with Bryz that is)... if they don't ditch bryzy with a buyout, etc... we've gotta change.

but I'd rather loose, than watch the 'trap' all season long!

I recently posted the same thing. Who can watch 82 games of that kind of hockey? It's not the way the game was meant to be played and it's no wonder why NJ has no fan base.

It is less conventional and probably stands a lower probability of winning it all under most circumstances. A team can play stifling defense with this style but it is more difficult to do than say the super conservative Rangers' style. On the other hand, it can in fact be done and when it is played effectively, it is can be very successful. I think the Devils are playing it effectively right now. They aren't trapping like a typical Devils team; they are running an aggressive forecheck that is bottling the Flyers up and creating a lot of scoring opportunities off turnovers. They are beating the Flyers at their own game.

• Like 2

@ jackhole My biggest problem with this system though is that while exciting, it's VERY easy to be tamed by a 'hot' goalie... it's not a system to win 2-1 games. Playing a goalie like Quick, Lundqvist, etc. who won't give up more than 2 will give us fits b/c we're going to give up 3 playing this way. (with Bryz that is)... if they don't ditch bryzy with a buyout, etc... we've gotta change.

This I know to be true. I just really appreciate a hockey team who's primary focus is to score, not sit and wait for the other teams mistakes to capitalize. We will have to tune up the D and its game plan for the breakout to better suit our attacking style. I think a player like Coburn has tremendous value to this team because of his skating, Kimmo too, but his time is running out.

We can play our way and get the GAA down to 2.25-ish. Certainly on most nights Bryz gave up at least one inexcusable goal. With better play from him (or any solid goaltender) the GAA can be trimmed. If that stabilzes, then we can really put it too the Lundy's and Quicks of the league.

Not sure if this has been mentioned...

If you look at the other surviving teams in the playoffs, there are a few obvious patterns/similarities.

Ok, you gotta have good goaltending... duh.... I know Bryz hasn't been our major problem, but the only reason we won the first series is b/c Fleury was even worse.

But I think the other major issue is the style of play the Flyers use.

St.Lou, LA, NYR, even WASH! are playing a stifling/trapping style of hockey. Is our run and gun method just not suited for the playoffs? I guess Tampa won using an agressive style (can't remember Carolina's)... every other winner seems to have been a defense first team.

Lavys system has been beaten and he fails to make adjustments or change...every year is going to be the same result unless he changes up his system..

@orange_crush

yep, might as well write off the rest of Laviolette's tenure...

fire him and all the things.

this team is experiencing growing pains, 75% roster turn over,6 rookies playing more professional hockey than they have played ever in their lives, mega injuries on the blue line, the guys brought into help with those mega injuries are injured...

it is unrealistic to expect to go through a season without losing a major player at some point, but the injuries to our defense corps have been significant, almost comical.

i think this off season some tough choices need made, timmonen does he retire ? can pronger be bought out, do we let carle seek his fortune elsewhere , who should be targeted to play in laviolette's go-go system to make our head case goalie feel comfortable ? right now the personnel are not able to sustain the style of play.

• Like 1

I've been ripping Lavi's SYSTEM all year and getting nothing but rolled eyes.....but now we're one game away from elimination and we're talking about 'SYSTEMS' as a possible problem !!!

Great job guys for being on the ball !

Seriously though, as someone mentioned Jersey is just beating us at our own game. It's that simple. Lavi likes to attack, but this team is not built to play a puck possession game along the boards. We're built to be a transition team. Not to mentionen we have not figured out a way to dump it in against a goalie with stickhandling skills like Brodeur. Oh, and our defense is not physical enough to counter a team that can grind in the corners, and neither are our forwards....and our goalie blows.

@SoCalFlyfan

i've been rolling my eyes, because i like hockey and would rather watch paint dry than the rangers style of play, laviolette has won using his puck possession attacking style, he's won the damn stanley cup, with a bunch of guys that wouldn't get arrested in canada on his defense corps...

you're right the when you say the devils are beating us at our own game. should he be able to make an adjustment ? fair question, but this team isn't built to play like the rangers so that's not going to happen so that adjustment isn't coming.

he can't control who gets hurt, and who stays healthy. not to blame our current plight on injuries but i wonder how we would be looking if we had mezaros playing. that makes the whole rotation better, more experienced and physical.

and as i have said elsewhere , this group has exceeded my expectations by so much , i'm having a hard time being pissed off that we're getting beat by a large, fast and healthy NJ team.