Is a Cup in our future?

Guest trevluk

After the Pens series, I didnt necessarily think we were going to win a Cup this year, but I thought maybe we werent too far off. Now I am thinking we arent even close. If we can be dismantled like that by NJ (the series really should have been a sweep. We were lucky it wasnt.) then I think major changes are still in order.

I love Lavi, but I am not so sure his system is built to win a Cup anymore (I know he got away with it once but...) and his inability to adjust to other teams does not bode well for our future.

I like our young forwards, but who is going to be veteran forward leadership going forward? Danny is not a leader in the regular season and only shows up in the playoffs and I am not sure how much of a "leader" he is anyhow. He scores some playoff goals, but I dont see him being the forward in the locker room challenging the young kids to step up.

We have some solid defensemen but we still need at least 1 top guy to replace Pronger and eat up minutes for Kimmo. Suter would be nice. I love Kimmo but I think he needs to be playing 3rd line minutes if he is to stay healthy and have anything left in the tank for the playoffs.

And then of course there is Bryz. I could see him having a turn around season next year, but I could also see him and his contract being the reason we dont win a Cup when all the other pieces are in place.

So much to think about and sadly, so much time to do it.

I do think a cup is in our future. Can any of us really say we expected one this season? I know I didn't. I think we have a good young core group of players. They are going to be better next season because of their experience this year (especially with adversity they faced in the post season). If we can manage to keep most of them together and balance them out with some veteran leadership I think we will be right there in 2-3 seasons.

Bryz is terrible and we will be stuck with him a while longer. Despite him I think we can win a cup. Niemi proved you don't have to be a great goal tender to win one. It can be done but I definitely would feel better if we bought him out.

I do think a cup is in our future. Can any of us really say we expected one this season? I know I didn't. I think we have a good young core group of players. They are going to be better next season because of their experience this year (especially with adversity they faced in the post season). If we can manage to keep most of them together and balance them out with some veteran leadership I think we will be right there in 2-3 seasons.

Bryz is terrible and we will be stuck with him a while longer. Despite him I think we can win a cup. Niemi proved you don't have to be a great goal tender to win one. It can be done but I definitely would feel better if we bought him out.

I do see a cup in Philly's future but I don't see Bryzgalov as part of that future. The rookies got valued experience this year, Giroux has come into his own but Holmgren will have to make changes on defense and some forwards. Talbot reminds me of Dave Poulin in the way he plays. What do they do with JVR, do you make him a bargaining chip in order to get a young top 4 defenseman. How about Hartnell, he's got one year left on his contract, do you resign him to an extension considering he didn't have a great second round. Jagr, I'd bring back at a lower cap hit if he really wants to resign in Philly. The Flyers are getting there but once again they have to solve the goalie situation.

• Like 1

I do see a cup in Philly's future but I don't see Bryzgalov as part of that future. The rookies got valued experience this year, Giroux has come into his own but Holmgren will have to make changes on defense and some forwards. Talbot reminds me of Dave Poulin in the way he plays. What do they do with JVR, do you make him a bargaining chip in order to get a young top 4 defenseman. How about Hartnell, he's got one year left on his contract, do you resign him to an extension considering he didn't have a great second round. Jagr, I'd bring back at a lower cap hit if he really wants to resign in Philly. The Flyers are getting there but once again they have to solve the goalie situation.

By the time the team figures out what to do with Bryzgalov or the goaltending situations in general, these "rookies" will be with other teams. The Flyers will not be able to keep them all.

After the Pens series, I didnt necessarily think we were going to win a Cup this year, but I thought maybe we werent too far off. Now I am thinking we arent even close. If we can be dismantled like that by NJ (the series really should have been a sweep. We were lucky it wasnt.) then I think major changes are still in order.

I love Lavi, but I am not so sure his system is built to win a Cup anymore (I know he got away with it once but...) and his inability to adjust to other teams does not bode well for our future.

I like our young forwards, but who is going to be veteran forward leadership going forward? Danny is not a leader in the regular season and only shows up in the playoffs and I am not sure how much of a "leader" he is anyhow. He scores some playoff goals, but I dont see him being the forward in the locker room challenging the young kids to step up.

We have some solid defensemen but we still need at least 1 top guy to replace Pronger and eat up minutes for Kimmo. Suter would be nice. I love Kimmo but I think he needs to be playing 3rd line minutes if he is to stay healthy and have anything left in the tank for the playoffs.

And then of course there is Bryz. I could see him having a turn around season next year, but I could also see him and his contract being the reason we dont win a Cup when all the other pieces are in place.

So much to think about and sadly, so much time to do it.

our best chance was 2010 but Homer was reluctant to pull the trigger on a goalie trade instead opted for a waiver wire reject like Leighton and cost us the cup...don't see any reason why we would expect a cup at this point..

Not with this goaltending.

No but it might be in the Devils future last time they went to the ECF they won in 2003....

...please let Marty retire soon...before this year i had written Marty as having very little chance to stand in the way of my Flers at 40!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Flyers are getting there but once again they have to solve the goalie situation.

And unfortunately, we've been hearing this "getting there" for way too many years. I think the author of the thread is asking a very legit question: is the Cup in the future? And if it is, how far away is this future?

I know this team has exceeded many's expectations. I know the kids got some invaluable expereience... and all that. But I've to say, the way the season ended left a bad taste in my mouth. There are a lot of questions looming around this team as they are heading to the summer.

I can't see the Flyers going into the training camp with this defense. How much Timonen has left in the tank? I love him to death, but at this stage in his career, he is a 3rd pairing defenseman. His salary, however, suggests otherwise. Something's gotta give here. And I want to see Matt Carle gone and gone soon. Same goes for Lilja.

I think they need to cut ties with Jagr. They need a faster and more durable winger to play with Giroux.

If we have a coach who doesn't seem to capable of adjusting, that's a HUGE problem. If all it takes is to study the tapes of Flyers' games and draw a blueprint to how to beat the Flyers, we are in trouble moving forward. And you know, so far Lavy didn't give me a glimpse of hope he can adjust.

Of course the biggest question should be Bryzgalov. I can't see a team - ANY team - winning Stanely Cup with this guy in net. I am convinced of that now. Again, there were many issues in the Devils series, but Bryzgalov was mediocre. He was equally mediocre against the Pens, but the Flyers almost won *despite* him. That's scary. It really is. But I know the Flyers' brass is unlikely to do much at least right now.

What do you do with JVR? I am getting more and more impatient with him. I have to wonder at this point whether the guy even wants to win.

What do you do with JVR? I am getting more and more impatient with him. I have to wonder at this point whether the guy even wants to win.

he was ravaged by injuries this season, he over trained last summer, pulling trucks around on youtube and stuff. and his body revolted , he was not good in the playoffs but he again rushed back from a broken foot,...i think we definitely see where he is after this last cheap season, he doesn't kill the pay roll and maybe we get good value as he exceeds expectations, i'm not ready to ship him off unless it really makes the team better and unloading him for picks and an AHLer shouldn't be an option. i think next year he takes the step we all want to see him take, dummy should have played junior instead of bong at UNH.

i think next year he takes the step we all want to see him take, dummy should have played junior instead of bong at UNH.

And I would be Ok with giving him one more season as a trial. But if he shows no improvement AGAIN, see ya JVR.

• Like 1

And I would be Ok with giving him one more season as a trial. But if he shows no improvement AGAIN, see ya JVR.

I might agree with you at that point, if it comes to it. Let's see how things shake out and the circumstances. Maybe get him some ice time with G or Schenn?

well since the doomsday calendar says only 233 days left, i'd say that was our chance. Maybe the NHL condenses the regular season to coincide with the final days of the mayan calendar, call it the apocalypse cup