Bryzgalov Pours His Heart & Soul, And -- Of Course -- Philly Media Makes Him the Bad Guy

Guest Irishjim

My problem isn't with elaborating on ideas, my problem is with the same guy following me around and taking little blurbs from my posts and turning them into something I didn't say. He takes sections of my posts and dissects them out of context and attacks them. I didn't come on this forum to justify my every word to someone who wants to put his own spin on my posts.

a. the same guy following me around

i'm not following you around. i'm responding to posts on the message board i frequent. again, the fact that you make the most posts that demand response doesn't mean i have any particular axe grind with you specifically. personally, i don't say anything here that i don't want responded to. i hope someone has a reaction to everything i say. else, why post at all? this place is about exchanging opinions. the default position, i think, is that if you care enough to give your opinion, you care enough to have someone give you theirs. and if the two are different, then a conversation ensues. none of this has anything to do with you personally. i see something to respond to, i respond to it. half the time i don't even notice who actually wrote it.

i have to admit, though, over the last few days you've gone some distance in singling yourself out as uniquely unable to cope.

b. takes sections of my posts and dissects them out of context and attacks them

if i take something out of context, correct me. for example: when someone says that based on the specific condition that a player wears orange and black they should be "supported", to me they mean that no other conditions are relevant. i.e., whomever snider and holmgren decide to hand a jersey to should receive ongoing and unquestioning "support". performance-related complaints are irrelevant, because "he is one of us". did i take that out of context, somehow? did you mean something other than what it appears you meant? so, clarify yourself or correct me. don't just cry about being misunderstood and complain that someone has the audacity to say, "hey, that's kinda lame, can't you think for yourself?" as for "attacks them"... if that is what a dissenting opinion feels like to you....

c. I didn't come on this forum to justify my every word

why did you come to this forum? you can't handle people disagreeing with you, you don't like people questioning what you say. did you just come here for a lot of positive affirmation, a bunch of people not thinking and just saying random things not intended to be discussed at any length? if your only input is "i support bryz" and can't handle anyone disagreeing or asking for some kind of deeper explanation of your viewpoint, you can just say that to your bedroom wall. why put it out there for others to see if they aren't allowed to question it or ask you about it at all?

d. i do, in fact, have you on ignore, per your paranoid request. unfortunately, i still get emailed when someone mentions me or responds to my posts. it's up to you to pull the covers the rest of the way over your head, if you want shelter from mean old people who are starting to realize you and bryzgalov have the same level of mental and emotional fortitude. birds of a feather and such.

lol, no, it doesn't. poor noodle.

everything resets next october, though, right? my comment record is 0-0-0, yes? bakanekimiwa has to change his sig and we pretend it never happened. right? please? :)

We shall see, but the order of magnitude was incredible. Might turn into a thing like Pods and sheep and Viking helmets or rux and smarm. At least the mods didn't change your sn to nodl right?

Most of your comments are spot on and the research posts are second to none. It is still a winning record, but losing by twelve to Columbus...well...people remember that haha.

lol, BUT IT MADE SO MUCH SENSE AT THE TIME!!

seriously, who saw nodl going from 22 points one year to 8 points the next? i figured a 10 point bump was reasonable...and had jagr not come back quite as strong as he did....

i figured them both for mid-30 point seasons. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE. oh boy how it didn't turn out that way.

ah, well, i earned the mark against. i'll own it.

if i take something out of context, correct me

I have said something to you before about this.

Look, I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I enjoy it. I mind you. I generally dislike you and the way you operate.

Lets just not interact with each other.

lol, wow.

i might actually do that, just get in front of the whole thing.

yes the optics of this particular situation are important, if you own it with pride, you'll be unassailable. :D

Edited by mojo1917

seriously, who saw nodl going from 22 points one year to 8 points the next?

Jokes aside, though, I wonder what happened to him. I have to say, I had some hopes for Nodl. Granted, I didn't think he will break out, but I would agree with you - he had some promise. I am really not sure why he sank so deep.

Jokes aside, though, I wonder what happened to him. I have to say, I had some hopes for Nodl. Granted, I didn't think he will break out, but I would agree with you - he had some promise. I am really not sure why he sank so deep.

A defensive only role in the developing years? It's my concern with Couturier to be honest.

@aziz / @Noodl

Well done.

Edited by doom88

Lets just not interact with each other.

again, you are already the sole inhabitant of my ignore list. stop responding to me and we'll live happily ever after. you needn't be disagreed with ever again.

exactly. never figured him for a star on any level, but i thought he'd be a servicable 30-40 point 3rd liner.

Wow - lots to catch up on.

Bryz doesn't think he played as well as he could have and wants to do better and, well, that's just terrible and awful and how dare he say that?

Many seem to be making judgements based on the specific words used - in what is obviously a basic translation of what is a very complex and rich language.

Bryzgalov showed at the end of the season what he is capable of and I do expect that we will see more of that next season than the Nov-Jan Bryzgalov. He picked a bad time to get injured - as did several other Flyers...

As for a buyout, it is unlikely but really only has two serious years of impact on the cap (all others are $1.7M or less). Here's capgeek's take on the buyout after NEXT season:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?player_id=1141&buyout_y=2013&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

It's not at all likely this year because of what he showed in March.

He does have flaws - every goalie does - but the guy I saw after the Winter Classic was significantly improved in lateral movement and was quicker in reaction. He should be tethered to the goal, however, and never allowed to attempt to play the puck again.

I will continue my mantra about hoping he is the worst multiple cup winning goalie in NHL history and leave it there.

• Like 1

Bryz doesn't think he played as well as he could have and wants to do better and, well, that's just terrible and awful and how dare he say that?

that isn't what people were reacting to, though. it was the parts where he was saying it was unfair for people to expect more from him. like the only thing at stake is his personal pride, and the fact he wants to be better should be enough and us fans should keep our mouths shut. after collecting $10mil, hey, what's the big deal, everyone makes mistakes.

as you say, of course, it was a rough translation, so who knows what he really said.

the rest, we all hope you're right, that a different bryzgalov takes the ice next fall. personally, i think that depends on what happens with the defence over the summer. lose carle, knock timonen back to the 3rd pair, add at least 2 top #2/3 stay-at-home guys, and revamp the team's defensive systems to absolutely shut down the slot area. do that, there's a good chance bryzgalov has a better year. course, that means also revamping the forecheck, because you can not activate defensemen like laviolette likes if you are relying on them to minimize your goalie's exposure. it'd have to be a very different looking team. can be done, but that's a lot of compensating for a $5.667mil goalie.

I think @Phillygrump and @Aziz need to meet up at centrally convenient bar and go shot for shot with some nice liquor, might I suggest some Cabo tequila? It's kinda pricey but it'll knock your d*ck in the dirt. I will offer my services as moderator and scorekeeper, but not designated driver of course. Last man standing gets...well nothing really, just really drunk.

And WTF Aziz is now noodl? I'm so confused

He went to the Carolina Hurricanes........enough said.....Gretzky would have trouble scoring there......

@sarsippius

My buddies and I call tequila "truthquila"

It works.

Robin Williams quote......"The last time time I drank tequila, I woke up naked in front of the car with the keys shoved up my ass"

I had a serious bout with Mescal on my 19th birthday and it took me over 20 years before I could even smell tequila without puking.......I still avoid it like the plague to this day.......

Robin Williams quote......"The last time time I drank tequila, I woke up naked in front of the car with the keys shoved up my ass"

I had a serious bout with Mescal on my 19th birthday and it took me over 20 years before I could even smell tequila without puking.......I still avoid it like the plague to this day.......

The last time I drank tequila was in 2007 before that it was in 1999. Once a decade is enough to remind me of the perils of tequila.

Bryzgalov showed at the end of the season what he is capable of and I do expect that we will see more of that next season than the Nov-Jan Bryzgalov.

Good lord let's hope not. Oh...you meant the part where he won some games and made all of 1 spectacular save in the POs.

I'm just pushing your buttons here a little Rad but I want to make a point too. And you leave yourself open to it when what you choose to extrapolate from the interview is "Bryz doesn't think he played as well as he could have and wants to do better and, well, that's just terrible and awful and how dare he say that? That's an agenda-driven reading of the story if there ever was one!

As usual Aziz covered it already (god I'm getting tired of that guy anticipating my responses and beating me to them ;) (probably following me around too...jk Grump :) , hope you guys work it out, you're both good posters. Just the random crack in the internet that's all this was guys...)

But like he said it's not the "I'm gonna try harder next year" that bothers us it's the "everybody makes mistakes" and the "they forget how many did I catch before that?" (my reaction after reading that statement? NONE You Loser) I could count on one hand how many pucks Bryzgalov caught cleanly this year. Slight exaggeration I'll give ya that...but really Bryz, the last thing you should brag about is your glove hand. My goodness it's weak...weaker than Biron, Nitty, Price, Reimer, Lundqvist (improved this year a lot), Anderson, Lehtonen...I could go on.

But I digress. Bryzgalov is not a good goaltender. He's never been a good goaltender. I spent time youtubing his "highlights" in the POs over the years and there's nothing there that doesn't look exactly like what we got this year - this post-season. In Phoenix last year and the year before...just change the sweater and you couldn't tell what year it was. No - zero I mean - "desperation" saves, side-to-side he's a glacier, wandering out of the net and getting caught turning the puck over, soft goals galore... I could go on...

Did you really see better lateral movement from him after January? I didn't. Honestly. Here and there, sure. But frankly he was so bad that any change would've been an improvement. Since it coincided with Grossmann's arrival and some overall better Team play, especially defensively, I credit the team more than anything Bryzgalov was doing. I will say in March he looked like an NHL goaltender. But when you've got Jagr backchecking, Briere hustling back, etc... I could go on...

The Flyers played well in March and Bryzgalov certainly contributed to the success of it. I thought maybe we were witnessing a "he's finally turned the corner" moment and he'd be the "difference-maker" Homer figured he was getting (god only knows why).

Alas - yes I said Alas, the attitude adjustment was short-lived. Insincere even. Because then the 24/7 Bryz started leaking out. Slowly but surely he reverted to It's All About Ilya. So what happened? His game began to suffer. His comments had that familiar martyrdom angle to them again and his game started to unravel.

Hopefully Bryzgalov hires some extra help for his game (and his head) this summer and comes into camp a new man. Anything can, Anything's Possible. I'll have to go with that for now.

@canoli

I understand where you are coming from on your agenda-driven reading as well, and obviously mine is coloured by the nature of the conversations we've been having. I haven't gotten to a Junior/NCAA riff on this yet, but I'm trying.

I appreciate where you and posters like flyercanuck are coming from. I understand why Mad Dog doesn't think Bryz will ever be anything. I do.

I've talked about his weaknesses and I've acknowledged his tendency for a bad goal.

I've said I hate the contract and would never have signed him to that - although I did and do like his resume - and certainly not for the term indicated.

I have excoriated the management that offered him that contract on numerous occasions.

In my last post - and in many a private conversation beforehand as some other posters can attest - I have suggested that he is best tethered to the goal and be not allowed to play the puck.

Honestly, yes, I have seen better lateral movement and better overall puck control. And, yes, that coincided with the arrival of two established defensemen - Grossmannnnnnnn and Kubina.

As for the past, Bryzgalov's name is on the Cup. Paul Holmgren staked his chances on joining him on Ilya Bryzgalov.

Phoenix had more wins and more points in every (playoff)* season that Bryzgalov was in net than with Smith. Fact. Phoenix took the Detroit Red Wings to seven games and then were swept while in NHL receivership. I - along with every other hockey fan who has the slightest inkling of the game - would expect a team with several years of playoff experience to improve and build on the past.

I certainly hope the Flyers do.

My reading of the Bryz article was not with a jaundiced view nor as a "Bryz apologist."

It's of a Flyers fan who sees a goalie with an immovable contract and hopes he does better.

If the glass is half full, add ice. It's hockey.

Edited by radoran
edited to put clarity to wins/points comparison
  • Like 1

Phoenix had more wins and more points in every season that Bryzgalov was in net than with Smith. Fact.

well, not really. the last two years, yes. the first two, no. 38w/83pts in 07-08, and 36w/79pts in 08-09. versus 42w/97pts this. interestingly, smith himself had two more wins this season than bryzgalov did last, though the team ended up with 2 extra points om front of bryzgalov.

not trying to be argumentative, just, well, facts.

bryzgalov's improved mobility with grossmann and kubina in front of him...was it that he suddenly (and temporarily) improved a technical aspect of his game, or was that technical aspect of his game not as exposed once the defense started doing a better job of protecting him? i.e., he wasn't asked to make as many side-to-side saves, so his shortcomings were not as on display.

i dunno. i tend to point at the fairly major changes in the d-corps that happened at the same time rather than a wildly oscillating skill set out of bryzgalov. it'd be interesting to put tape of games from each "era" side by side to compare, but if we're going purely on results....if you hear hooves, think horses not zebras, you know? fundamental stuff like ability to skate and stretch don't usually come and go like that, whereas opposition shot selection can be influenced by defensive makeovers.

you say you saw the difference in his play, specifically, though, so there is that. i didn't notice the same thing, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. happily, we'll all get another look in 4 1/2 months or so. :)

obviously, this is all gnawing on a bone that i'm sure we'll throw back and forth for years to come. hey, upside to all of this, we will never ever get bored while bryzgalov is around.