Flyers Injury List

Guest killjoysfly

For those who don't want to click on the link:

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren updated the media today on several Flyers who were battling injuries and some that will required surgery...

Wayne Simmonds – Had surgery to repair broken left index finger. Recovery time is 4-6 weeks.

(We all commented that it seemed like he was playing hurt)

Matt Carle – Had surgery to repair torn stomach muscle. Recovery time is 4-6 weeks.

(Surprise here...hmmmmm)

Claude Giroux – Had surgery on his right wrist to repair torn cartilage and surgery on his left wrist to remove bone spurs. Recovery time is 6 weeks.

(Thanks to that lovely slash he recieved by Malkin I think from the Pens series)

Kimmo Timonen – Will have surgery next week to remove a disc fragment from his lower back. Full recovery is expected in 8-10 weeks.

(Again we commented how we thought he was playing hurt)

James van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair a torn labrum in his right hip. Recovery time is 6 weeks.

(JVR had a rough year with all the injuries. I know in the heat of the moment and emotions running high I said I wanted him out of Philly and speculated that he might have played his last game in O&B. However, I might reconsider recanting that statement and I am willing to give him a "Pass" for the season due to all the injuries he incurred. I say let him play one more season here to see if he improves before trading him away.)

Don't forget to add Pronger to that list and Mez was extremely rusty. Fortunately everything here should be healed by the time September rolls around, except of course Pronger.

I know other teams have injury issues too, and you must find a way to play through them, but why does it always seem like this team gets the injury bug right before / during the playoffs. Just once I would like to go into the playoffs with everybody healthy.

Thoughts??

It's the Flyers brand of hockey. They get beat up playing the way they do. But, on the flip side, I'm glad we don't play a boring defensive trap style. I know others will disagree, but I'd rather watch 82 exciting games and loose in the 2nd round than watch a snooze fest all year. I don't know how Tampa fans handle it?

• Like 1

It's the Flyers brand of hockey. They get beat up playing the way they do. But, on the flip side, I'm glad we don't play a boring defensive trap style. I know others will disagree, but I'd rather watch 82 exciting games and loose in the 2nd round than watch a snooze fest all year. I don't know how Tampa fans handle it?

Until this season, Tampa hadn't gotten above 85% capacity since 07-08.

Fans didn't watch the snooze fest. They did come out to watch Stamkos.

I know other teams have injury issues too, and you must find a way to play through them, but why does it always seem like this team gets the injury bug right before / during the playoffs. Just once I would like to go into the playoffs with everybody healthy.

Thoughts??

Dealing with adversity and, quite frankly, luck plays a big role in this game. Injuries are a part of it, but also deflections off knees and through three players, etc. change the course of games and seasons.

The Pronger injury cannotbe overstated. He was supposed to eat up big minutes on this team and allow for players like Timonen and Meszaros to be more fresh for the playoffs.

Instead, they had to lean on Timonen and Meszaros, with both playing injured.

A broken index finger can certainly help explain why Simmonds, who was pretty deadly down low during the season, missed a few open nets in the playoffs.

JVR (and the team) needs to concentrate on getting him into solid shape, fully healed or he's likely to continue to get nagging injury after nagging injury. I admire the drive to get back for the playoffs, but aggravating, reaggravating and risking new injury by comepnsating for existing ones is not a recipie for long term success.

It was obvious Claude wasn't the same in the Jersey series. Malkin's a cheap, gutless puke who will reap what he sows.

For those who don't want to click on the link:

Thoughts??

it's mind boggling to me as well. i don't think it can be explained away by their style of play. i guess it's luck? it's crazy, i mean the rangers block more shots than anyone in the league all year long. and they're almost completely healthy here in the 3rd round.

how many of our guys block shots and stay healthy? we get broken feet and what not.

in regards to giroux, he was slashed on the wrists all year. it seems no one can catch him so they just whack away at his wrists. malkin did put some really nasty ones on there. man i can't wait for the first pitt game of next season. malkin, neal and crosby better be ready for that one. especially neal.

if someone doesn't go after him in the first minute of play, i will be extremely disappointed. because what i'm sure has been left of this list of injuries are the non surgery ones.... ie. all of the concussions we suffered.

malkin did put some really nasty ones on there. man i can't wait for the first pitt game of next season. malkin, neal and crosby better be ready for that one. especially neal.

if someone doesn't go after him in the first minute of play, i will be extremely disappointed. because what i'm sure has been left of this list of injuries are the non surgery ones.... ie. all of the concussions we suffered.

All three of them better have their head on a swivel. As far as I am concerned there is some unfinished business to be had. I just wanted them to win the series first and foremost. The whole Flyers team better have the 1st Pens game circled! But knowing this stupid league and Buttman, if Rindaldo goes after anybody I bet ya he gets at least 10-15 game vacation. Just saying.......

All three of them better have their head on a swivel. As far as I am concerned there is some unfinished business to be had. I just wanted them to win the series first and foremost. The whole Flyers team better have the 1st Pens game circled! But knowing this stupid league and Buttman, if Rindaldo goes after anybody I bet ya he gets at least 10-15 game vacation. Just saying.......

This where Sesito says HELLO to Malkinstein!!!!

Maybe we'll see this guy in the lineup a little more next season...

http://forecaster.th...player.cgi?7243

...can always use more GRIT!!!!

Edit:

McGinn, Sestito and Rinaldo would make a tough 4th line no??? Not sure which one could play center though! :D

Edited by OccamsRazor

Man, some of those are really nasty injuries. Hope everyone can fully recover and come into camp near the required conditioning.

While it is probably wrong to derail this thread into revenge, F the Pens. Tons of dirty cheap shots with no repercussion. Neal needs to get doinked in the skull by a player trying to dodge a hit, Malkin slashed across the wrists until they both break with no ref support, and a laundry list for Kunitz.

http://flyers.nhl.co...s.htm?id=631393

Simmonds

Carle

Giroux

Timonen

JVR

Which goes to show you that we should think before we bash. I'm pretty sure I could find a thread (not merely posts but an entire thread) dedicated to bashing each of these players other than Timonen filled with comments about how Giroux needs to step up, JvR is a bust, Carle is a wus and a turnover machine, Simmonds invisible, etc etc. Playing through these types of injuries requires balls.

Which goes to show you that we should think before we bash. I'm pretty sure I could find a thread (not merely posts but an entire thread) dedicated to bashing each of these players other than Timonen filled with comments about how Giroux needs to step up, JvR is a bust, Carle is a wus and a turnover machine, Simmonds invisible, etc etc. Playing through these types of injuries requires balls.

Amazingly, some are after Timonen too.

James van Riemsdyk – Will have surgery next week to repair a torn labrum in his right hip. Recovery time is 6 weeks.

(JVR had a rough year with all the injuries. I know in the heat of the moment and emotions running high I said I wanted him out of Philly and speculated that he might have played his last game in O&B. However, I might reconsider recanting that statement and I am willing to give him a "Pass" for the season due to all the injuries he incurred. I say let him play one more season here to see if he improves before trading him away.)

If you give him a pass and another year, does his NMC kick in? My biggest fear is getting stuck with an under performing and over paid JVR. I still think he is worth a good d man in trade and with the current playing forwards on this team he is expendable.

If you give him a pass and another year, does his NMC kick in? My biggest fear is getting stuck with an under performing and over paid JVR. I still think he is worth a good d man in trade and with the current playing forwards on this team he is expendable.

He only has a modified no trade clause that kicks in 2016-2017, his second to last year for the contract.

Claude Giroux – Had surgery on his right wrist to repair torn cartilage and surgery on his left wrist to remove bone spurs. Recovery time is 6 weeks.

(Thanks to that lovely slash he recieved by Malkin I think from the Pens series)

Not trying to defend Malkin but someone on WMMR said he spoke with Giroux and that he has been hurt since January. That might explain the drop off in his offense after the all-star break.

@pilldoc

Thanks for the recap. was mobile in the dentist chair haha

My pleasure! :) Besides I HATE dentists. Granted 3 years of braces as a teenager will do that you know. I'm proud to say...I'm 43 and still have never had a cavity! :) My wife hates me for that. She takes care of her teeth better than anyone I know and she has multipe dental problems.

Cheers!

Not trying to defend Malkin but someone on WMMR said he spoke with Giroux and that he has been hurt since January. That might explain the drop off in his offense after the all-star break.

Hexy,

That might be true, but a couple of those tomahawk slashes by Malkin certainly did not help matters.

@pilldoc

Oh I agree! Malkin might have made an already bad situation worse.

I wonder if Malking or players in the league knew he was suffering from a pre-existing injury. That may have made the decision to slash him. Even if Malkin got called for it (which he didn't) then the damage would have already been done.