Flyers need a better backup for Bryzgalov

Guest Irishjim

?

not getting the joke.

sorry, i'm still pissed beyond humor about this. i usually use the offseason to cool off and look forward to hopefully better luck next season...but i'm not feeling it. i'm feeling a 6+ year pause in any kind of "hopefully", and that sucks. especially given the batch of young players on the roster right now who will have a third or more of their careers behind them by that point, each of them at or just shy of UFA status. the team is perfectly positioned to be very very strong for the next four years, except they have the equivalent of a more expensive vesa toskala chained to the goal for that stretch.

I agree (meaning me too) He's also worse than you give him credit for. ;)

I've never said anything other than the facts - unlike those who believe that a goalie who is entirely incapable of playing the position can be nominated for the Vezina... :)

Jesus this will be a long off season if people can't stop complaining about Bryz every ****** day in here.

Get over it, he's OUR goalie and is not half as bad as the same group keeps harping he is, not matter how many stats Rad throws at everyone.

Could he have played better - yes.

Is he overpaid - yes.

Is it worth complaining about daily and creating a false sense of reality that he is some terrible bum - no.

Here's a novel idea: support your players and leave the booing/jeers for the other team's players.

Look how stupid everyone who complained about Ryan Howard/his contract looks right about now. Seems the Phillies are in last place and can't score any runs with guys in scoring position. Guess they actually need this guy and was not so bad huh? Seems that paying $20 million to your power hitting 1B is now basically the norm huh (Pujols, Votto, Fielder, Tex, etc)?

You think the Flyers would be any different next year with another goalie instead of Bryz? Try they would be a much worse team without him just as the Phillies are proven to be without Howard.

@Green Man

Every one of your posts consists of complaining about people complaining. Kinda ironic huh?

Here's a novel idea: support your players and leave the booing/jeers for the other team's players.

Oh ok, pass the ****** kool-aid

Look how stupid everyone who complained about Ryan Howard/his contract looks right about now. Seems the Phillies are in last place and can't score any runs with guys in scoring position. Guess they actually need this guy and was not so bad huh? Seems that paying $20 million to your power hitting 1B is now basically the norm huh (Pujols, Votto, Fielder, Tex, etc)?

Huh? First of all, I don't think anyone in this HOCKEY forum has complained about Ryan Howard, so you can take that beef back to silly.com. Second, Yeah the Phils need Howard, he's also a much better power hitter than Bryz is a goaltender....or at least the goaltender he showed himself to be for most of the season. I don't get comparing an injured first baseman to mentally ill goaltender.

You think the Flyers would be any different next year with another goalie instead of Bryz? Try they would be a much worse team without him just as the Phillies are proven to be without Howard.

Yes. Yes I do. He wasn't the reason they lost the Devils, but I can name a half dozen goaltenders I'd rather have. WTF does Ryan Howard have to do with this again? You sound like that South Park episode with Johnny Cochrane..."If Chewbacca lived on Endor, you must acquit!"

Bryzgalov is better than you give him credit for.

True story.

lies. the guy can't skate. seriously. watch some tape of him lurching his way around the crease, then tell me that is a bit of all-world ability. there are goalies in your local B league that better skaters than bryzgalov.

unlike those who believe that a goalie who is entirely incapable of playing the position can be nominated for the Vezina... :)

jim carey and jose theodore WON vezinas. kinda pfffts all over that.

how is that even possible?? 19th out of 30 teams in goals against average, you think bryzgalov somehow saved them from a worse fate? 15th out of 16 in the playoffs? exactly how much further down do you think they can go after that performance?

i don't know jack about specific players in baseball these days. did howard spend a recent season in the bottom 50% of all meaningful statistical catagories? does he have observable and significant weakesses in his skill set that would predictably limit his effectiveness outside of any but the most ideal circumstances? does he have a documented inability to handle pressure situations with anything resembling composure? if all of those questions are yes, then i suppose you have a point. if, on the other hand.....

Jim Carey I'll give you. Jose Theodore has at least won 282 NHL games.

Still, two in the past 30 years?

yes, two overall mediocre-at-best goalies who won the vezina outright. guys who were just nominees, well, steve mason is in there. not sure how overall impressed with marty turco you are/were. roman turek? i'd be curious to see a complete list. can promise you they are not wall to wall awesome. the nominees are choosen by the GMs of the league, guys who we all know are not always the best 30 evaluators of talent, especially if they are given an excuse to take a single season into account.

I've been looking for a list of nominees for a while :-)

Marty Turco? Marty 275 wins, 2.36/.910 career stats Turco? Marty, set a modern record with a 1.72 GAA and a .932 SV% in his Vezina nominee season?

Turek never had a year above 2.60 GAA and won 42 games with 1.95 GAA in the Vezina nominee season (he won the Jennings) when he lost to Olli the Goalie.

The award is based upon performance in one given season. GMs (and owners) who put too much stock in one season (or, say, 3 of 4 sub-2.50/.920 seasons) and are prone to give out large contracts can make pretty large mistakes sometimes...

@

two overall mediocre-at-best goalies who won the vezina outright. guys who were just nominees, well, steve mason is in there.

Mason's play improved quite a bit once he found out that he has been wearing pads that were much too small. My guess is that Mason isn't the smartest of goalies out there, and his goaltending coach either. Thus I wouldn't be surprised if he has a decent upcoming season.

@Green Man

Every one of your posts consists of complaining about people complaining. Kinda ironic huh?

Oh ok, pass the ****** kool-aid

Huh? First of all, I don't think anyone in this HOCKEY forum has complained about Ryan Howard, so you can take that beef back to silly.com. Second, Yeah the Phils need Howard, he's also a much better power hitter than Bryz is a goaltender....or at least the goaltender he showed himself to be for most of the season. I don't get comparing an injured first baseman to mentally ill goaltender.

Yes. Yes I do. He wasn't the reason they lost the Devils, but I can name a half dozen goaltenders I'd rather have. WTF does Ryan Howard have to do with this again? You sound like that South Park episode with Johnny Cochrane..."If Chewbacca lived on Endor, you must acquit!"

Funny thing is....this place is philly.com, just with a much better format and an actual moderator who kills trolls. As long as people come in here and blind hate on my beloved Flyers players, including our goalie, I'm going to push back. It's called standing up to the loudmouths in the room and supporting the players on your team. I know, it's a foreign concept to many Philly fans, you know, the whole idea of getting behind and supporting a slumping player or having the patience beyond the level of a 3 year old child.

Weird you can't understand the Ryan Howard analogy either, but part of me thinks you just want to bust my balls for standing up to the bryz haters. Here's the cliff notes, much of the Philly fanbase jumped on Howard last season after he got a huge contract and was not Babe Ruth (ignoring the Babe Ruth numbers he's had the previous 5 years). Now this year with Howard being out hurt, the middle of the Phillies lineup is one of the worst in baseball in terms of production. My point is that if you take the Bryz away from this team you would have a similar situation. I think the dopes calling Howard overpaid and overrated all last season look pretty stupid right now, just as many of the Bryz haters would look pretty stupid should the Flyers get stuck with Bob or some no-name in net next year.

You can think of all these other goalies you'd rather have? Really? Let me guess where most of them are right now. Oh yea.....sitting home watching just as Bryz is. Even if Patrick Roy came back in his prime half this town would micro analyze every game, every shot, call him overpaid and want half a dozen other goalies in the league of him instead because he didn't bring us a cup.

Not trying to single you out either, I'm sure you are a die hard. Just so many people want to scapegoat the goalie when the team was never good enough to win the cup even if he stood on his head and they still come in here everyday and complain about him as if it was all his fault. Can't we just enjoy the game/sport without all the vile anger towards OUR players?

Just so many people want to scapegoat the goalie when the team was never good enough to win the cup even if he stood on his head because he is fùcking terrible.

fixed.

look, i get what you are saying, but really. part of the fun of participating in the place like this is to look at this stuff critically. otherwise, it's all "i love everything and everyone in a flyers jersey is the greatest, w00t!" i mean, even your comment above about the team not being good enough, how dare you, how can you not support OUR team? and on and on and on. you point out the things you think are/were/will be a problem and talk about it.

in this particular case, imo our goaltender is the single worst talent-per-cap-dollar-spent in the league, as far as goaltenders go. there isn't a guy in the league with a worse ratio. this isn't me being a typical philly fan, this is my opinion way back when i thought he and giguere were drastically overrated when they won a cup behind an HOF d-pair who played 30 minutes a night. this is my opinion as idiot writers fluffed him up in PHX, my opinion when GMs voted him a vezina finalist (obviously without consulting their scouting staff first), my opinion when the talk last spring was to bring him to town, my opinion when holmgren tied the team to this horrific boat anchor for the next 9 years.

all of that, were it about a roster player, would be something i could get over and just deal. a goaltender, though, is the one guy on the team who can lose games for you on a regular basis. the one guy who can destroy any and all well laid plans. the one guy who, if he sucks donkey nuts like bryzgalov, can ensure your team will spin its wheels pointlessly until his contract runs out. the one position that can get me permanently angry.

if that really bothers you so much, well, whatever. i'll calm down when this guy is gone.

@...

...so should they just trade Bob for a pick and turn around and sign Vokoun?

I'd be ok with this because i believe if Bryz was to falter again Vokoun would seize and KEEP the reins the rest of next year...and Bob gets a freash start somewhere with less goalie pressure.

...so should they just trade Bob for a pick and turn around and sign Vokoun?

i don't hate that plan. the only problem with it is that bryzgalov is at his absolute worst while under pressure, and vokoun on the team means controversy out of the gate. to the extent that the flyers would let vokoun earn the starting job, then i'm a big fan. if it just means another season of yo-yo'ing the goalies and ultimately putting the faberge egg back in net for the playoffs, i don't really see the point.

this place is philly.com, just with a much better format and an actual moderator who kills trolls

I am totally calling you out on this comment, dude. People here discuss hockey long and hard. We *****, fight and argue about the smallest point... most of what IS HOCKEY RELATED!! It is why this site was created!!!

I get you want to back the team, and its players, and that is 100% fine. But to come here and insult people who want to question Bryzgalov, his salary, his performance, his length of contract, and yes, his talent level, or any other Flyer player for that matter, is down right insulting. You don't like what people say, again, that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions, but I take GREAT offense at you insulting this board, the people that have set this up, on their own time/dime/and using their own expertise, and then attack people/posters who want to come here, actually question the team, their decisions, and it's players and their results, within the confines of a discussion board.

And before you go there...I have NOTHING to do with this site; it wasn't my idea, I didn't create it, and I don't moderate it.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Eh, Greenman wants sheep. No questioning of the fearless leader or his orange army. No discussion that isn't blatant homerism. Thank you may I have another.

Well, I do think there is a fundamental difference between quesitoning the chinese water torture drumbeat of folks who claim he in incapable of stopping a determined 3-on-2 in Mites on Ice and "blantant homerism."

I do think that posters like noodl, flyercanuck and canoli (to name a few), while good posters, take it to an extreme.

I respectfully disagree with them and point out the obvious facts which fly in the face of their argument, but that doesn't serve to quash discussion.

There is no "end all and be all" argument on the internet. Nothing will stop debate. Nothing will stop discussion. To expect unanimity on all issues to is invite repeated, frequent disappointment.

This place is magnificently different from philly.com - and to ignore that is to be like those that pretend Bryzgalov can't stop a determined 3-on-2 from a Mites on Ice team :-)

I do think that posters like noodl, flyercanuck and canoli (to name a few), while good posters, take it to an extreme.

I respectfully disagree with them and point out the obvious facts which fly in the face of their argument, but that doesn't serve to quash discussion.

and we, similarly, point out the obvious facts which fly in the face of your flying in the face, like 3 consecutive years of sub-NHL playoff goaltending out of bryzgalov, and that doesn't squash it, either. give and take.

and we, similarly, point out the obvious facts which fly in the face of your flying in the face, like 3 consecutive years of sub-NHL playoff goaltending out of bryzgalov, and that doesn't squash it, either. give and take.

but that doesn't serve to quash discussion.

Serve. Volley.

Glad to have y'all here :-)