Poll: What will the Flyers do with the #20 pick?

Guest hf101

What will the Flyers do with the #20 pick?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Flyers do with the #20 pick?

• Choose a D-man
    • Choose a Forward
    • Choose a Goalie
    • Trade away the 20th pick

@Vanflyer

I watched a little youtube on some of the D prospects along with read their profiles. Realistically, what defender do you think will fall to the Flyers should they use their 1st rounder on one? I wish I had access to better scouting information, but it seems rather limited where I am at.

I read some of the profiles and I like what I see, but I get nervous with the inability of the organization to have any patience with defensemen beyond 3 years. Hopefully, the stock the cupboard with some defensive talent and let the homegrown products develop.

One that caught my eye is Codi Ceci. Has maturity, size and hockey IQ. Is there a possibility that he falls in the 15-20 spot?

@Bertmega

I have to think that one of these good defensemen will still be around at 20, there are teams picking ahead of us that need to put asses in the seats and responsible defensmen don't exactly fit the bill for that.

our canadian scouts, pods, jammer fc seem to like Olli Maatta & have mentioned Dumba, Ceci and Koekkoek. I've heard Murray from Everet won't be around but is the top guy defensively.

@mojo1917

Thanks Mojo, I will take a peek at some of the guys you mentioned.

That is also a valid point about teams ahead of the Flyers needing an instant spark. I really hope we draft and develop a defender.

My fear though is JvR or Bob and our 1st will be packaged for an established player. I hope I am wrong though.

@mojo1917

My fear though is JvR or Bob and our 1st will be packaged for an established player. I hope I am wrong though.

Don't fear, Bert. :P

Seriously though, if it's a package that brings us a really good defenseman, I am OK with that. Both JVR and Bob are nothing to shed tears over, but they are Flyers' best trade chips....... if we have any hope to bolster our D. You just have to give up something to get something back.

@flyercanuck

@Bertmega

I was advocating for maybe moving up, but it seems the costs of moving up, even 10 spots, are likely too steep. Especially, since I think we could get Koekkoek or Finn at #20.

But maybe the guy to take there is not a D after all. If it's BPA, maybe we take Tom Wilson? (note: in TSN's mock draft last night - Button and Maguire, for what it's worth - the Flyers took Tom Wilson. I recall @jammer2 saying some good things about him (interestingly he was the first Canadian-born forward taken in the mock draft!)

This is one of the best d-men drafts in the past 10 years. It is stocked with d-men in the top 60. Don't be surprised to see the Flyers take a d-man.

All the more reason to take a goalie with the first pick and trade up with the third pick to get a d-man.

@Podein25 Seen Tom Wilson play more than any other draftee (plays the Spits 10 times a year including exhibition), except the potential Spitfire draftees. Guy literally hits like a mack truck. Nice frame, nice skating for big guy, but his offensive upside is iffy. He could really develop in that aspect, could be a legit power forward, or he could be a bottom six guy if the offense does not come...therein lies the rub with Mr. Wilson. At the worst he will knock heads for you, but not many want to burn a top 1st round pick on sandpaper. That's more late first round. If he goes early, it's because somebody has faith the offense will come.

All the more reason to take a goalie with the first pick and trade up with the third pick to get a d-man.

Good point. I guess what is the priority? A goalie that will potentially reap benefits in 2-5 years, or a d-man that will potentially reap benefits in 1-3 years?

One that caught my eye is Codi Ceci. Has maturity, size and hockey IQ. Is there a possibility that he falls in the 15-20 spot?

I have not a clue on dropping. The guy that I was tracking and who's stock has risen to high is Reinhart. Same attributes at Ceci, but better.

There is a nice kid from Sweden- Lindholm that would be the guy I would take at our position (he is actually slated to go later, but I would take him). The other kid I like is Thrower.

At the end of the day, I would trade our 3rd round, a prospect and our current #1 to move up and pick Reinhart. He is going to be the next Weber. Mark my words.

@jammer2 and @Podein25 Would have a much more keen input than I on these things.

What say you fellows: would you move up for Reinhart??

@Vanflyer

I like Reinhart very much. In many ways the prize pick of the D since you can't teach someone to be 6'4" - he'll be gone well before 10th spot though, so you'd have to move up close to top 5 to have a decent shot at getting him. The price is prolly too steep.

I'm almost certain that's what you meant to say!

If I meant that, I'd have said "I wish he'd do it ONCE in the second round". The guy drafts well in the first round...I don't get why he trades half of them away.

I think it was in one of Metzler's columns draft tidbits....not sure but I remember reading the Flyers are targeting a specific player and may move up if he is still there at #6. My guess is either Griffin Rienhart or Morgan Riley. While it would be great to have the big physical presence of Griffin, the Flyers do have a long term problem with the power play point on the top unit. When Kimo goes next year, who will step into that role? Morgan Riley would be AWESOME in that role. Great offensive instincts....some would say electric skill set....pretty underrated through the whole draft process....was out most of the year with an injury. Still had 18 pts in 18 games this season. I can't WAIT for this draft!!

If the Flyers did go Griffin then maybe a deal can be worked out with often injured UFA Sami Salo. If you could get him for 2 years on the cheap it would make a pretty nice insurance policy on Timmonen getting hurt. Sami runs a nice pp when healthy. Another option, (although far less of a proven commodity) is Carlo Colavachio. This kid still has upside, would like to see what he would do surrounded with better talent. He's a UFA also.

Well we pulled out a Giroux, Justin Williams, Steve Downie etc, with a late first rounder and I think we can do it again. Pick my local guy here for the Halifax Mooseheads, Martin Frk. NHL shot, mean streak, stick handler. Just needs an NHL team to set him up so he can get in the best shape possible. He didn't have a great year in Hallifax. He had a concussion and came back in bad shape. I think he is underrated. I think someone will get a steal with him.