Serious question...

Guest The_Kaptan

What's everybody's opinion of Jay Bouwmeester? As far as I can tell he seems to have gone off the track a bit when he went to Calgary, but I understand the Flames are willing to deal him and while his cap hit is large it's not that far off from Carle's. He always seemed like the kind of guy who might actually be able to fit in well with the players we have as I recall what they were saying about him back when he was playing for Florida, but being that I haven't heard much about him since going to Calgary I was wondering what anyone knows about him now.

Does anyone think he could be a good trade target for the Flyers in wake of our need for another legit defenseman? Or is he just more of what we already have?

if you like a d-man that only skates forwards. is soft on the boards and forget about clearing the crease. he's awesome

Hahaha. Well, that's why I'm asking. The last time I heard anything about the guy he was the next great defenseman that everybody in the league wanted on their team. Sounds like he's just Carle part deux with a worse contract, in which case, he can stay in Calgary.

Hahaha. Well, that's why I'm asking. The last time I heard anything about the guy he was the next great defenseman that everybody in the league wanted on their team. Sounds like he's just Carle part deux with a worse contract, in which case, he can stay in Calgary.

This is why it's important not to get swept up in the hype of the "best available" guy or the "can't miss" draft pick.

There are always misses and the "best available" guy doesn't realy mean he's All That good..

• Like 1

This is why it's important not to get swept up in the hype of the "best available" guy or the "can't miss" draft pick.

There are always misses and the "best available" guy doesn't realy mean he's All That good..

^^^This^^^ I'd stay far away from him...

Oh, I absolutely agree. That why I can't get too bent out of shape by how our team looks right now. We saw last year when everybody panicked because we traded away so many goals in Carter and Richards and everyone questioned whether the the kids could make them up. And they did. I think the one thing we haven't done well as an organization for many years is the one thing we're actually being forced into doing this year, and that's essentially taking the time to evaluate what we really have in a lot of our young players.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing Gus and MAB and the rest of the kids this year, and I think we might be pleasantly surprised by what we see in them. Obviously you have to worry about the sophmore slump, and maybe one or two will disappoint, but all in all I think at the very least Vorachek and Simmonds will see improvement even if BSchenn and Couts and Read struggle.

The only thing I would caution people against is expecting too much from Schenn and Couts in terms of offense. They've only been in the league a year now, and while they showed a lot of promise you don't necessarily grow into the game so quickly just because you have a year of experience. Even Giroux had a couple of promising but not earth shattering seasons before last year.

No thank you to Jay-Bo!

I remember, back on philly.com when we were all comparing Jay-Bo to Coburn, and possibly Parent was in the discussion as well. Huge discussion back then. If I remember correctly, the Flyers were in the running for Jay-Bo whilst still at Florida. He was different back then, huge upside, never physical, but an offensive force. Not so much anymore, and comes with a big contract.

We all thought Coburn would develop his offensive skills and become more of an offensive threat. However, I believe we are all very pleased with his development. Coburn has become a VERY good player.

To me Coburn > Jay-Bo

I do not want Jay-Bo here. He does not excel at anything. I'd rather have Joni Pitkanen than Jay-Bo, and that is saying something!

I'm with Ctid.

And I do remember the discussions back on Philly.com I wanted him because he was supposed to be some kind of stud, but I didn't know too much about him (so, I'm excused, right?)

Habs was talking in the shoutbox about a deal for him involving Briere. I mean, I know Briere can disappear for large portions of the regular season, but I still don't like it...at all.

If they do trade Briere for Boknowsnothing, I'm not sure where Homer thinks the offense is going to come from. BKN would be okay on a second or third pairing, I guess, but that's a huge chunk of change for that. -21 last year. I realize Calgary sucked, but that's still pretty horrible.

No thank you.

Habs was talking in the shoutbox about a deal for him involving Briere. I mean, I know Briere can disappear for large portions of the regular season, but I still don't like it...at all.

Sigh. This is how you *know* it's not even worth taling about

Why on Earth would BRIERE agree to go to CALGARY?

And, No, I don't see the team sitting him down and saying "we don't want you here." Ever.

• Like 1

@ctid I remember the Jay-Bo wars on Philly.com well....hilarious! I was one of the leaders of the "anti-Jay-Bo" crowd. The Pro Jay-Bo (wow, does that sound gay...LOL!) people used the argument that Florida was crap and Jay-No didn't have anyone to work with. According to them, Jay-No was just waiting to break out.....what a load of crap!!!

@ctid I remember the Jay-Bo wars on Philly.com well....hilarious! I was one of the leaders of the "anti-Jay-Bo" crowd. The Pro Jay-Bo (wow, does that sound gay...LOL!) people used the argument that Florida was crap and Jay-No didn't have anyone to work with. According to them, Jay-No was just waiting to break out.....what a load of crap!!!

B-b-b-b-b-but Bouwmeester played Junior!

:ph34r:

@jammer2. Yeah people were really split between the upsides of Coburn VS Jay-Bo VS Parent. I Believe I was one of many believing (or simply wanted/needed to believe) that Parent would becomes a defensive stud D-man. Boy was I wrong. Imagine if Homer swung the deal by including Weber instead of Parent in the Forsberg deal. Wow, that would have been something!

I was one who was really big on getting Boumeester from Florida. I am so glad he went to Calgary. The guy is one of the biggest busts. He is almost in the same catigory as Phaneuf. Guys getting paid that much money should be good defensively and put up points.

Weber was a guy worth going for. I like Meltzers idea of going after a guy like Bogosian or Endstrom. They would come with a better cap hit. Bogosian is a guy that I would keep my eye on. If he struggles at all this year I think the Flyers should pounce on getting him while his stock is down.

@ctid I was really big on Parent at first. But I jumped ship soon after his rookie season. To many deer in headlights moments and to often injured. I heard a lot of "you are wrong, d-men take time to develop" stuff....but the proof is in the pudding, and it was pretty damn watery puddin.

I'm not touching Jay Bo with a ten foot poll, duct taped to another ten foot poll with Rick strapped to the end....