Simmonds Extension

Guest sekkes85

@Mad Dog

Interesting to see some "analysts" - e.g Dobber - also saying that it's a bit high, on the grounds that Simmonds only really had one good year: http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4836:august-16-2012&catid=24:rambling

I disagree with the focus on goals/points. Some players are worth their weight in gold for all the other stuff they bring, which is the case with Simmer. He makes the Flyers a tough team in and of himself. Full stop.

@Mad Dog

Interesting to see some "analysts" - e.g Dobber - also saying that it's a bit high, on the grounds that Simmonds only really had one good year: http://hockey.dobber...tid=24:rambling

I disagree with the focus on goals/points. Some players are worth their weight in gold for all the other stuff they bring, which is the case with Simmer. He makes the Flyers a tough team in and of himself. Full stop.

Well, points total is an important considertaion. But I agree, that it shouldn't be the thing to zoom on. When you look at a player like Kovalchuk (just using his name as an example), how many goals he scores is probably the focul point since this is about *all* he does - he scores goals. So when he doesn't score goals, he is basically useless, especiall when considering how much cap space his salary eats up. But Simmer brings intengibles that don't show on the scoreboard. His work in corners and ability to heat is one of the best I've seen on the Flyers team in quite some time.

I just don't see how less than $5M can be considered a big hit.

If Simmonds simply remains a 25-30 goal scorer, this is already a heluva deal for the Flyers.

If he progresses/advances at all, this deal will be a steal by Y4-6.

I'm guessing players don't feel there will be a rollback - that's the only thing that surprises me about the timing and the term of the re-signing and the contract.

Glad to have Simmonds wrapped up. Let's put an informal NTC on the guy.

I know now the loch ness monster is real...

Ha! Classic.

@JackStraw: I was hammered last night, lol. Discovered this little micro-brew IPA that was tasty as hell and packed a wallop (6.9% I think). How is it that I can remember everything about that IPA but not how I got home? Feel shockingly good today though I must say.