What is the plan for Matt Walker?

hf101

Syvret was placed on waivers and will play with the Phantoms. This is the list according to Metzler of who is reporting to the Phantoms. Bourdon Bourdon is eligible for play for with the Phantoms -- or, technically at least, any other AHL team -- on a minor-league contract. This is because of the AHL's ruling earlier this week to allow such deals for players who are on two-way contracts in 2012-13 and who were on the AHL's 2012 Clear Day List.

Jason Akeson

Tyler Brown

Sean Couturier

Cullen Eddy

Matt Ford

Erik Gustafsson

Shane Harper

Cal Heeter

Ben Holmstrom

Tyler Hostetter

Niko Hovinen

Andrew Johnston

Blake Kessel

Matthew Konan

Oliver Lauridsen

Matt Mangene

Brandon Manning

Tye McGinn

Marcel Noebels

Luke Pither

Zac Rinaldo

Brayden Schenn

Danny Syvret

Mike Testwuide

Eric Wellwood

Harry Zolnierczyk

I'm surprised Walker wasn't placed on Waivers with Syvret. Thus does he have a shot at making the Flyers ?

@flyercanuck

Hey I didn't think there was a plan either until I noticed that he will not be a part of the Phantoms. I thought he was cleared to play near the end of last season.

@Podein25

I'm assuming that is because he has to sign a temporary contract. I think these contracts that were ruled on by the NHL do not need NHL players to go through re-entry waivers following the lockout.

I'm guessing some guys aren't too happy that their million-dollar deals aren't being paid.

To be clear, I'm sure they are happy to be playing hockey - but getting $1M in Philadelphia is a slightly different kettle of fish than getting $67.5K in Glen Falls, NY.

So, can walker play in Europe then? Maybe he would do good and we could get a pick for him when the season starts...

So if Walker goes to Europe and plays well enough to get the attention of other NHL GMs to want to give the Flyers a pick for a defenseman, when the Flyers are thin on defense at the moment?

If Walker plays *that* well (a *big* "if"), why wouldn't the Flyers keep him and - as needed - deal him at the deadline if Meszaros is back and healthy?

Maybe Walker can wear 12.

So if Walker goes to Europe and plays well enough to get the attention of other NHL GMs to want to give the Flyers a pick for a defenseman, when the Flyers are thin on defense at the moment?

If Walker plays *that* well (a *big* "if"), why wouldn't the Flyers keep him and - as needed - deal him at the deadline if Meszaros is back and healthy?

Maybe Walker can wear 12.

I wasn't saying a 3rd pick or anything. Maybe we can unload him for a 6th-7th or something. Now if he looks really "servicable" then obviously keep him in the fold given our situation. Just wondering IF he can play in Europe.

Looks like the NHL GM's will have to send the professional scouts on a few trips to Europe this year. They need to get accurate reads on how other teams players (and thier own for that matter) have grown or regressed for trade purposes. Lot's of scouts will still do the NCAA and CHL thing, but the AHL will be more heavily scouted also...with all the young guns from every org down there.

EDIT..I'm aware of the European scouts, but think they will have to be fortified this year to adequately cover the new players over there.