F*** the NHL, F*** the players

TedZep

@TedZep I feel your pain bro...I'm actually getting more and more pissed as each day passes. I think the only way the fans can make a difference is sticking together. If this thing lasts a few months, the fans should organize and have a drop your season tickets day....a way for fans to have an actual impact on the negotiating process. From what I have read, owners receive approximately 25% of all their revenue from season tickets sales, a huge drop in that during one day could make the smaller teams revolt against the 8 rich owners and Bettman.

This is something that could actually make a difference and force progress....just the threat of a league wide "drop your season ticket day" could force the owners hand in my estimation...how far spread could it be?f How many will take part? Could Iose 25% of my season tickets in one friggin day?? These are all hard questions the owners would have to ask themselves should this become real.

@jammer2

Great idea, but I'm too weak.....I discussed with my co-STH (aka dad) and we're both disgusted, but we're still in....for now.

I just don't want to hear any of that "welcome back fans" **** again this time, we're not the one that left you bastards!!!!

• Like 1

@sarsippius I think most would feel the way you do Sars, but over time the conditions might be ripe for this time of fan action. All that is needed is more time for fans to get pissed.

First, if a few months pass, the Christmas season will be upon us, those season ticket prices will be looming large, an investment worth thousands of dollars just sitting there, making no interest...while fans are required to shell out big bucks to keep up with the Christmas tradition of spending LARGE amounts on friends and family. The more time passes, the more tempting these dollars are to spend in December.

Second....this action would be aimed at the casual fan who just happened to inherit the tickets though a family death etc....The league (if it has not already) will eventually turn these types against it. They will find other ways to spend their hard earned entertainment dollars. Especially in non hockey markets like Carolina and Florida....they could take real legitamte hits with this type of action. Even 5% demanding their money back would reverse YEARS of marketing in small markets.

There would in effect, be a revolt among non money making teams, because the owners themselves, would be forced to take even more money out of their own pockets to finance this drop in season tickets....just what the die hard fan needs...actual motivation through actual bucks on the poor owners side of the agenda.

@jammer2

I heard yesterday after the first two weeks of the season was canceled only 5 Flyer season ticket holders asked to cancel their tickets.

.....but that is just it most will choose not to give up their seats.

What they can do though when the games return is to not buy merchandise or food / drink at a game.

• Like 1

Great idea jammer! And as a non season ticket holder, I say do it!:) Its just too much frikkin money now to attend these games. I could outfit myself with a new pair of skis for the cost of a family outing to the rink for f*cks sake.

Anyway, money is the only language they'll understand to make an impact with. Maybe we should ask Mitt Romney to talk to the NHL/PA for us as they might be relatable to him. ;)

Nice idea but who would or how would anyone organize a 2 nation campaign like that. Not likely. I wish but that's about all it is, a wish...

Think of this, you would need HockeyBlogs/forums (or whatever that site is) and equvilants, people like Eklund, Tim P, Metzler ect... x30 across the league in every city and the internet. Herculine task at best...

And I'll quote myself...

LA was a playoff team at best last year and they won the cup... Just sayin.

Strongly disagree with that. They were expected to be competitive and some picked them for the conference finals based on their roster at season start.

On to the point though... I drop my season tickets and someone on the waiting list will buy them so the only statement made is I'm stupid and my kids pay for it. Lol

Nice idea but who would or how would anyone organize a 2 nation campaign like that. Not likely. I wish but that's about all it is, a wish...

Think of this, you would need HockeyBlogs/forums (or whatever that site is) and equvilants, people like Eklund, Tim P, Metzler ect... x30 across the league in every city and the internet. Herculine task at best...

If the Leafs can sell out for infinity with the product they've been putting on the ice for the better part of 45 years... even if every STH dumped them, there'd be 100,000 ready to grab them in a heartbeat. And they aren't really hockey fans, they're just "Leaf" fans.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@OzFlyer

Idaho was just pointing out the incompatibleness of your two statements, that the Flyers are going to suck badly and the Flyers are going to make the playoffs while sucking badly. Teams that make the playoffs by definition do not suck. Last year's Kings squeaked in, 2010 Flyers squeaked in, yet both played in the Finals. This year's Flyers are probably not going to squeak in.