Roenick on Cechmanek

Guest DaGreatGazoo

Here’s an excerpt from the book:

“He would look good in the regular season, and then the playoffs would start and suddenly he was giving up bad goals. In 2000-01, he had a 2.01 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage in the regular season. Then, his playoff numbers were 3.11 and .896. The way he performed in the playoffs made me believe he had come to the NHL just for the money and not to play with the world’s best players and win the Stanley Cup. To me he seemed like a phony, a true fraud. I had no use for him.”

Later he added:

“In my career, I only ran into a few teammates whom I considered lost causes. I couldn’t stand playing with goalieRoman Cechmanek in Philadelphia because I felt like he had one foot back in the Czech Republic the minute the regular season was over. He didn’t seem to be as serious about the NHL playoffs as the rest of us were. It made me wonder whether he would have preferred playing for his country in the World Championships rather than the Stanley Cup playoffs. Players only get paid in the regular season, not the playoffs. It didn’t seem like a coincidence to me that when the paychecks stopped coming, Cechmanek’s performance level went downhill. I remember telling teammates after the 2001-02 season that if he was in Philadelphia’s net the following fall, I wasn’t [bleeping] coming back.”

Ah, yes, one of my "favorite" topics - listening to players that outright quit on their coach try to blame anyone else for their actions.

Roman Cechmanek

2001-2002. Regular season. 2.05, .921, 24-13-6

2001-2002. Postseason. 1.85, .936, 1-3

- Flyers skaters score two goals in five games AND STILL WIN ONE

The next year? Postseason? 2.14, .909

Jeremy Roenick

2001-2002. Regular season. 21-46-67

2001-2002. Postseason. 0-0-0

The next year? Postseason? 8 points in 13 games.

Where was JR playing in 2000-2001? Phoenix.

JR, give it up. If anyone showed a new NHL player how to quit on your team in the postseason, look in the mirror.

• Like 4

I think you forgot to include the 03-04 year, when he broke his jaw in a dozen places, came back early from the injury to play in the playoffs...scored 4 goals and had 13 points in 18 playoff games. Most importantly, he knocked the stinking Leafs out of the playoffs with his OT goal in Game 6 of the Conference Semi-Finals.

In his 3 years as a Flyer, he average .58/pnts/game in 36 playoff games, and and .80/pnts/game in 216 regular season games(if my math is correct).

Roenick is a loudmouth in the media, and has always been a "me-first" guy, however, he produced when he was a Flyer, that's all I care about.

I think you forgot to include the 03-04 year, when he broke his jaw in a dozen places, came back early from the injury to play in the playoffs...scored 4 goals and had 13 points in 18 playoff games. Most importantly, he knocked the stinking Leafs out of the playoffs with his OT goal in Game 6 of the Conference Semi-Finals.

In his 3 years as a Flyer, he average .58/pnts/game in 36 playoff games, and and .80/pnts/game in 216 regular season games(if my math is correct).

Roenick is a loudmouth in the media, and has always been a "me-first" guy, however, he produced when he was a Flyer, that's all I care about.

He produced 8 points in 18 games playing with Cechmanek. He criticizes Cechmanek for his play ON A TEAM HE WASN'T EVEN ON.

Cechmanek's numbers are solid in BOTH playoffs that JR phoned in while colleting his paycheck.

I love the 03-04 year - but that's ONE year our of THREE that he had anything like an effective playoff for the Flyers.

There's a reason JR's not on the Cup. And that reason is JR.

This is an excerpt from the hockeynews <dot> com, so take it for what it is worth, but I thoroughly believe it.

"1. Roman Cechmanek

In his three regular seasons with the Flyers (2000-2003), Cechmanek had a 1.96 GAA, .923 SP and 20 shutouts. Unfortunately, in his first post-season with the team, he posted an .891 SP and 3.12 GAA and in his final playoffs he had a .909 SP. Making matters worse, in Game 4 of Philly’s 2002 series against Ottawa, he skated to center ice before yelling at his teammates on the bench. The next day at practice, they were taking shots at his head. Technically, Cechmanek posted a better SP than Moore, but his mental meltdown on his own teammates sets him apart."

I always recall being nervous with him in net. He was so unorthodox it was scary. I always wondered how he could put up great numbers during the regular season, but stink up the joint in the post season. I will take JR's story with a grain of salt, but believe that there is a semblance of truth in what he says.

Edited by Bertmega
  • Like 1

Regardless of J.R. being a jerk or not, his desire to win cannot be questioned.

Also, there were a great many problems with Cechmanek in net.

A lot of his numbers were very strong, but his style of play made it nearly impossible for his defense to control rebounds and hence chaos ruled in the Flyers own end.

Regardless of J.R. being a jerk or not, his desire to win cannot be questioned.

Also, there were a great many problems with Cechmanek in net.

A lot of his numbers were very strong, but his style of play made it nearly impossible for his defense to control rebounds and hence chaos ruled in the Flyers own end.

I can agree 1000% with that statement.

The assertion that Cechmanek was "thinking about the Czech Republic" while putting up 1.85/.936 and JR was going pointless is ridiculous.

JR and Co. out and out QUIT on their coach in 01-02. And I'm ashamed to say my favorite all time hockey player - John LeClair - was on that team.

I don't need JR playing "cover my ass" with revisionist history, citing a year in which he wasn't even IN the playoffs, much less a teammate of Roman Cechmanek's to hide his absolutely disgraceful showing in 01-02.

That's simply the work of an out and out coward.

• Like 1

Yep. Gotta give credit where credit is due. He showed up for one of his three playoffs as a Flyer. That's one less than Cechmanek.

Roenick is not a briere. I would argue that we got the same from Roenick (2 of the 3 years he was here, he showed up for two of the playoffs). Same with Cechmanek. You do have to ask yourself that if Cechmanek was that good, why did he only last one season after he left the Flyers?? He has done squat in the euro leagues since leaving the NHL. Just saying he is no Hasek (using that as a comparison from a fellow countryman that was equally unorthodox).

My memory of Roenick ended when he rooted for the Blackhawks over the Flyers.

I can hardly blame him for that. That's where he started his career and played 8 years (nearly half his career) and perhaps his best years as a player. Playing three years with Philly would not sway that (although there are Ian Lappierres of the world that change that view a bit).

Ah, yes, one of my "favorite" topics - listening to players that outright quit on their coach try to blame anyone else for their actions.

Roman Cechmanek

2001-2002. Regular season. 2.05, .921, 24-13-6

2001-2002. Postseason. 1.85, .936, 1-3

- Flyers skaters score two goals in five games AND STILL WIN ONE

The next year? Postseason? 2.14, .909

Jeremy Roenick

2001-2002. Regular season. 21-46-67

2001-2002. Postseason. 0-0-0

The next year? Postseason? 8 points in 13 games.

Where was JR playing in 2000-2001? Phoenix.

JR, give it up. If anyone showed a new NHL player how to quit on your team in the postseason, look in the mirror.

I can't argue at all with this and I am a hue JR fan.

Roenick is a rum character. Hell of a hockey player.

But, you get the sense that it's all an exhibition. He's putting on a show. He's good about attending fundraisers, but I think he enjoys the attention paid to himself more than the gift to a charity. I've seen him when he's given the mike at such an event. His self-absorption is evident.

I dunno. If that need for applause is what it takes for a certain type of person to excel at hockey or anything else, then so be it.

I prefer the type who shuts his mouth and produces.

• Like 1

Toronto goal aside, always hated JR and his sideshow....just irked me.

Sometimes jammer I think that sideshow is what is missing from the NHL and it hurts the TV ratings. I think the NHL needs more characters.

Some of the post game interviews from these players are so dry and boring you wonder if they have any personality. The sport is incredible but the faces of the league are droll.

Sometimes jammer I think that sideshow is what is missing from the NHL and it hurts the TV ratings. I

That's a good point.

Colorful characters attract viewers. Hockey is exciting enough to keep some of those who are attracted by flamboyant talkers.

Some fans don't like Don Cherry, but he's a real asset to us who want to share our affection for hockey.

I once sent an email to Ralph Mellanby suggesting that Eddie Shack and Esa Tikkanen did color on HNIC broadcasts. I think that would have been a huge hit. Eddie is brash, unhibited and Tikanen is Tikanen.

Sometimes jammer I think that sideshow is what is missing from the NHL and it hurts the TV ratings. I think the NHL needs more characters.

Some of the post game interviews from these players are so dry and boring you wonder if they have any personality. The sport is incredible but the faces of the league are droll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMuyo2AwtD0

anyone that plays with not one, but two broken jaws is "A" ok in my book.

I prefer my hockey on the ice, not in the lockerrooms. If people can't get into hockey because there isn't enough personalities, maybe they should stick to the sports where EVERYONE wants their face on TV every play.While i always liked the odd "character" in the game, there's a fine line there grump. When everyone tries to be a character, it takes away from the actual game itself. In todays world, I actually like the salt of the earth NHL types. The Averys and Otts (who'd just be 2 more run of the mill showboats in the NFL) are thankfully oddities in the NHL and not the norm.

Maybe the real problem is too many people today need shiny sparkley things to keep their attention. If they were there for the game instead of the hype, they'd see what a great game it is.

I prefer my hockey on the ice, not in the lockerrooms. If people can't get into hockey because there isn't enough personalities, maybe they should stick to the sports where EVERYONE wants their face on TV every play.While i always liked the odd "character" in the game, there's a fine line there grump. When everyone tries to be a character, it takes away from the actual game itself. In todays world, I actually like the salt of the earth NHL types. The Averys and Otts (who'd just be 2 more run of the mill showboats in the NFL) are thankfully oddities in the NHL and not the norm.

I'm not sure I put Avery and Ott in the same category.

Ott, to me, has more of the grit and hard work ethic while Avery was more of a goofy goon type.

I have to believe Philly fans would love an Ott in orange and black while they would be embarassed, rightly so, by the Avery antics.

I can't see Ott in the crease waving his glove in front of the goalie's face, for example.

YMMV

@radoran

Good points rad. Though they both could be passed off as arseholes. Maybe I should have said Carcillo instead of Ott? Though he's more of an arse than a showoff. Ovechkin?

Oh, I don't argue that point. I'd just be happy with an arsehole like Ott on my team and embarassed by an arsehole like Avery.

There aren't many that elevate (lower?) their game like Avery does in the arsehole department.

Maybe the real problem is too many people today need shiny sparkley things to keep their attention. If they were there for the game instead of the hype, they'd see what a great game it is.

Thats great. I prefer it that way too.

The problem is you try marketing these guys to a bunch of Americans who would rather watch the NFL and reality shows maybe its not such a bad thing to see OV skating around celebrating every goal like its game 7 or guys like Roenick making waves. You may like it the way it is and I may like it the way it is, but most people in America don't like it or don't care about it. There is a reason why.