Schenn & Couturier

AndyS

How big of a leap forward do these two kids make this season?

I think all of the geniuses picking the Flyers to finish 3rd in the division are selling them way short.

I think this is the season that B.Schenn makes us all really happy about the Richards trade.

And I'll say it again - I think Luke Schenn is going to be way better in Philly. It's going to be fun to watch him clear the crease.

I think all of the geniuses picking the Flyers to finish 3rd in the division are selling them way short.

This could have lots to do with Goaltending and D (see below)

I think Luke Schenn is going to be way better in Philly

He set the bar fairly low in Toronto after initially meeting early exalted expectations. So I agree, he should come up to that middle ground where reality meets (modified) expectations.

In many ways, the key to our fortunes will be the play and impact of Luke and Grossman on the physical side. Also, Coburn has to continue to be poked with a sharp stick to bring his most physical game, which will never be as big as we want, but anything more helps. And we need to find a reliable 5-6 guy who can chew up minutes and help out on the PK if Timonen needs a rest.

I think Braydon Schenn continues to improve. He started to look pretty comfortable by the Pens series, after looking just the opposite when his career began in Philly. Having his brother there should help both of them. Luke gets a fresh start on a team (believe it or not) that doesn't put him under the microscope as much as he was in T.O. He's likely not as good as he was hyped to be, and not as bad as he looked many times on that sad sack franchise known as the Maple Leafs.

Here's hoping Sean Couturier hasn't been reading the overdose of praise Flyer fans have been heaping on him since he went toe to toe with Malkinstein. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids game. But Flyer fans have become as bad as anyone at overvalueing their players. The sky may be the limit for Mr. Shutdown, but he's still here on earth for now.

• Like 2

"Here's hoping Sean Couturier hasn't been reading the overdose of praise Flyer fans have been heaping on him since he went toe to toe with Malkinstein. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids game. But Flyer fans have become as bad as anyone at overvalueing their players. The sky may be the limit for Mr. Shutdown, but he's still here on earth for now."

Thanks for bringing everyone down Buzz Killington! :P Just playng with you of course.

This could have lots to do with Goaltending and D (see below)

He set the bar fairly low in Toronto after initially meeting early exalted expectations. So I agree, he should come up to that middle ground where reality meets (modified) expectations.

In many ways, the key to our fortunes will be the play and impact of Luke and Grossman on the physical side. Also, Coburn has to continue to be poked with a sharp stick to bring his most physical game, which will never be as big as we want, but anything more helps. And we need to find a reliable 5-6 guy who can chew up minutes and help out on the PK if Timonen needs a rest.

I think all Luke needs is to not have the added pressure of trying to be something he's not (i.e. an offensive d-man). Tell him to just play his game - clear the crease and hit people. He'll be fine.

• Like 1

How big of a leap forward do these two kids make this season?

I think this is the season that B.Schenn makes us all really happy about the Richards trade.

And I'll say it again - I think Luke Schenn is going to be way better in Philly. It's going to be fun to watch him clear the crease.

Even if they make great strides in their sophomore seasons, I still think 3rd in our division is about right. Rags and Pens are both ahead of us, no question in my mind.

Devils could be the sleeper team, as they usually are, but losing Parise is really going to hurt. And Kovy might not come back. If that's the case, they're in Isles territory.

Even if they make great strides in their sophomore seasons, I still think 3rd in our division is about right. Rags and Pens are both ahead of us, no question in my mind.

Devils could be the sleeper team, as they usually are, but losing Parise is really going to hurt. And Kovy might not come back. If that's the case, they're in Isles territory.

Hey Bre! How are you pal? I hope you enjoyed your holiday season.

I think the Flyers *may* have a shot at finishing 2nd in Atlantic. The Rangers are no brainer to me. Any team that has Lundqvist between pipes is going to do well. And our goaltending situaiton seems as grim as it can be. The Rangers's defense is also superior to the Flyers' and by a great distance. And people are forgetting that they got Nash, so their offense is expected to be better compared to the last year.

The Pens... it's a hard one. I don't know what to expec tout of that team. I just can't see how losing Jordan Staal will actually benefit that team. I simply don't see it. Other than that, I would imagine they have learned from the last year's playoff debacle. Fleury - even on his worst days - is better than Bryzgalov. And as long as Malkin and Crosby can at least *try* to co-exist, that offinse remains as potent as ever. I think their first two lines will expose and take continuing advantage of the Flyers' slow, immobile defense.

The Devils will suck... I hope. ^_^ But then again, I expected them to lose to the Panthers in the playoffs.

Hey MD! Same to you! I was in Ottawa visiting the inlaws. Kinda miss my old stomping grounds! How was your holiday?

The Pens... it's a hard one. I don't know what to expec tout of that team. I just can't see how losing Jordan Staal will actually benefit that team. I simply don't see it. Other than that, I would imagine they have learned from the last year's playoff debacle. Fleury - even on his worst days - is better than Bryzgalov. And as long as Malkin and Crosby can at least *try* to co-exist, that offinse remains as potent as ever. I think their first two lines will expose and take continuing advantage of the Flyers' slow, immobile defense.

Oops! I forgot about Staal. Who is their 3rd line center now? In any case, you're right.. that's going to hurt defensively. As for Fleury, even if he falters, they have Vokoun. I'd rather have their backup than our starter! Ha!

At the end of the day, it's the same old story for the Flyers. We'll be fine offensively, but will struggle on defense and in goal. If our back end can overachieve, I think we have a shot at 2nd. Realistically, I think we'll finish 3rd.

I think the Flyers *may* have a shot at finishing 2nd in Atlantic. The Rangers are no brainer to me. Any team that has Lundqvist between pipes is going to do well. And our goaltending situaiton seems as grim as it can be. The Rangers's defense is also superior to the Flyers' and by a great distance. And people are forgetting that they got Nash, so their offense is expected to be better compared to the last year.

The Devils will suck... I hope. ^_^ But then again, I expected them to lose to the Panthers in the playoffs.

While I would tend to agree, he did prove he could actually be worse than Bryz. Only by a femto-meter, but he did accomplish it. I doubt he duplicates the feat this year though.

While I would tend to agree, he did prove he could actually be worse than Bryz. Only by a femto-meter, but he did accomplish it. I doubt he duplicates the feat this year though.

I honestly think he was burnt out. They gave him the load he could not handle. I just can't think of any other reason why he was *so* bad. So with that in mind, I would imagine they learned their lessons and will rely on Vocoun to play a decent amount of games, not to mention it's a short season to begin with.

Keep in mind, Bryzgalov was equally horrendous in the first round. The Flyers almost won despite of him. Agianst any other team in the first round, the Flyers woudl be toast with that goaltending.

• Like 1

I honestly think he was burnt out. They gave him the load he could not handle. I just can't think of any other reason why he was *so* bad. So with that in mind, I would imagine they learned their lessons and will rely on Vocoun to play a decent amount of games, not to mention it's a short season to begin with.

Keep in mind, Bryzgalov was equally horrendous in the first round. The Flyers almost won despite of him. Agianst any other team in the first round, the Flyers woudl be toast with that goaltending.

You're preaching to the pope MD

• Like 1

He had 270 hits last year (100 more than any other Flyer). I agree with your point: clear the crease and hit people- don't worry about the offensive stuff (also make good breakout passes).

Those are some nice stats!

But make no mistake: there will be no mistaking L Schenn for Matt Carle when it comes to the "breakout passes" - he may surprise, but I don' think that's a strength of his, in part because his slow foot speed leaves him no time and space to make those good accurate passes. We'll see. I'm hopeful, but doubtful.

Edited by Podein25

If they manage to NOT take steps backward, I'll be thrilled to pieces with both of them.

As far as making us happy about the Richards Trade, we all know that Bryz was also involved in that trade far less directly.

Asking Schenn to make up for Bryz isn't fair and that's why I choose in my head to separate Schenn from the Richards deal entirely.

It's impossible to say how many points to expect from Coots and Schenn, because of how many roles and or linemates they may have. The only thing I can say with certainty is they will both increase their points per game output for the next 3-4 years at least.

• Like 1