Datsyuk being Datsyuk

Guest JackStraw

Magic. The man is a thing of beauty on the ice. And did you notice before taking the puck he knocked his man down? The physical side is not normally his game but he sneaks one in every now and then just to make sure you are paying attention. One of the fun things about last nights game was watching the dynamic between Fisher and Pavel all game long.

We were down 2-0 within a couple of minutes then lost Howard. To come back and steal a point from a Nashville team that was out for blood after getting hosed by the linesman the day before was a moral victory. Overall, Pavels best game of the year, and a good team game.

@yave1964 - I've seen Datsyuk play physical plenty of times when the situation arose. The guy is special. I would love to see what he sees, just once. I imagine he sees things go by at about half the speed as normal people.

He is not afraid to knock a guy down when the game calls for it. It has been a pleasure watching every game he has played in. I remember when he came in to the league and was assigned as Brett Hulls center in 2002, then watched him take the next step as the veterans retired, most notable Steve Yzerman. Pavel is special.
  • Like 1

I imagine he sees things go by at about half the speed as normal people.

And the second it takes for him to blink he already knows where the puck is going and can picture it in his mind. Most be awesome to just have that talent.

What makes Datsuyk so special is his skill set, but he combines it with a wonderful work ethic that sets him apart from other stars. LIke many generational talents, he sees things happen before they take place, his vision is on par with Wayne's...first ballot HOF for that boy.

• Like 2

He is not afraid to knock a guy down when the game calls for it. It has been a pleasure watching every game he has played in. I remember when he came in to the league and was assigned as Brett Hulls center in 2002, then watched him take the next step as the veterans retired, most notable Steve Yzerman. Pavel is special.

Watching him reminds me of watching Barry Sanders from the Detroit Lions. He is riveting to watch, because you just never know when he's gonna break out with a huge or unbelievable play. Magic Johnson was the same way. He'd make passes to players that would surprise the receiver because even THEY couldn't see the pass, but suddenly the ball is in their gut!

Even the average player can pull one of these kinds of plays out of their butts every once in a while--the YouTube Moment. Remember McCarty's goal in game 7 of the '97 SCF's? Pavel and the great players do it almost nightly, even in small little passes, or the way he steals pucks. The way he knows what players are going to do before they do it is uncanny!

Test for Red Wings fans: Pavel Datsyuk's first line of repute was the famous 2 Kids and an Old Goat line. Brett Hull was the Old Goat. Who was the other Kid?