Couturier to 4th line in Tampa game

@radoran

Hartnell doesn't have a right to say anything about the teams play. I'll give his own a pass due to injury. Giroux has basically lost both wingers he played with last year though Voracek has pleasantly elevated his game. But this is the 2nd season in a row, but certainly not just the 2nd season, that our $6.5 million supposed first line center has mailed it in. Not to mention the stupid penalties he's taken.

Again, Giroux deserves criticism. I'd label his season disappointing. Brieres is plain garbage.

• Like 1

@brelic

I am confused at how the lottery works. If the Flyers finish 26th, do they still have a crack at the #1 pick?

If they could land Nurse or Jones and actually develop them that would be huge, but I still think if they get a top 4 pick that they'll wind up taking Barkov....

@flyercanuck

After they determine the #1 pick, does it go chronologically from there by standings? In other words, if the Flyers finish dead last they will pick no lower than #2? Or is the bottom 14 randomly selected via lottery?

I should look this up......

@flyercanuck

After they determine the #1 pick, does it go chronologically from there by standings? In other words, if the Flyers finish dead last they will pick no lower than #2? Or is the bottom 14 randomly selected via lottery?

I should look this up......

This is correct. The teams that were ahead of the winner just drop back a spot.

@flyercanuck

I don't know that noting Briere's history in the NHL (beginning as a first rounder traded from the Flyers as part of the saga turning Prospal and Briere into Adam Burt...) is "defending his play" this season or last season. It is saying that Briere *knows* what is needed to "make it" in this league.

I am on record to trade Briere for a bag of pucks and/or definitively buy him out before the end of his contract.

That said, I was replying to the implication that Couturier's problem was that he was staying with Briere - which was the context of noting former-Briere-roomie Claude Giroux's production in critical times.

Couturier is having an almost-inevitable sophomore slump which has precious little to do with Danny Briere.

Trade Briere and every single one of the losers who ever roomed with him and his sniveling kids and shower off the stench of them. They're worthless pieces of garbage who float game in and game out (those of them who can actually skate).

@brelic "You can get by in the CHL and AHL with subpar skating, but not the NHL. That's the kind of thing that would limit his ceiling to, say 3rd line center in the mold of Handzus."

Ding, ding, ding.....could not agree more. His skating will always hold him back....I don't ever remember a prospects skating "regressing" after a year in the pros, it usually gets better with training and power skating sessions etc....this is a first for me. Taking this into account, and how his ceiling is lowered considerably due to the brutal skating (that's what it is...brutal)...the time is at hand to get what you can for him. I'm not saying rush into anything, take a lower return or any of those things, I'm saying, see what the market bears and react accordingly.

We have to many centers, that is established. We have no defensive prospects....can we not make a deal that helps us on defense and helps another team at center....a deal that works for both orgs?

Here is my idea, we have the Nashville Preds, a team that has FOREVER been without a legit franchise center....Colin Wilson is their top guy right now, a player who would be on the 3rd line of most teams depth charts....YET, the Preds have a LOT of young d-men, kids who can run the power play etc. I would offer Couts for Ryan Elllis and another prospect. Ryan has been passed by Roman Josi in terms of power play time....so he is expendable as far as the Preds go....Couts would be the 3rd line center in Nashville, and his defensive minded approach would fit perfect on that team. He has room to grow in that defense first system....seems like a perfect fit, we get Ryan Ellis, a kid who can run a power play very efficiently....it would be perfect for both teams.

@brelic "You can get by in the CHL and AHL with subpar skating, but not the NHL. That's the kind of thing that would limit his ceiling to, say 3rd line center in the mold of Handzus."

Ding, ding, ding.....could not agree more. His skating will always hold him back....I don't ever remember a prospects skating "regressing" after a year in the pros, it usually gets better with training and power skating sessions etc....this is a first for me. Taking this into account, and how his ceiling is lowered considerably due to the brutal skating (that's what it is...brutal)...the time is at hand to get what you can for him. I'm not saying rush into anything, take a lower return or any of those things, I'm saying, see what the market bears and react accordingly.

We have to many centers, that is established. We have no defensive prospects....can we not make a deal that helps us on defense and helps another team at center....a deal that works for both orgs?

Here is my idea, we have the Nashville Preds, a team that has FOREVER been without a legit franchise center....Colin Wilson is their top guy right now, a player who would be on the 3rd line of most teams depth charts....YET, the Preds have a LOT of young d-men, kids who can run the power play etc. I would offer Couts for Ryan Elllis and another prospect. Ryan has been passed by Roman Josi in terms of power play time....so he is expendable as far as the Preds go....Couts would be the 3rd line center in Nashville, and his defensive minded approach would fit perfect on that team. He has room to grow in that defense first system....seems like a perfect fit, we get Ryan Ellis, a kid who can run a power play very efficiently....it would be perfect for both teams.

Interesting... I haven't really watched Ellis much.

In a way, I would feel uneasy about trading Couturier in a package that doesn't include a pretty-close-to-can't-miss top pairing defenseman. Based on the small amount of what I've just read on Ellis, it seems there are question marks as to whether or not he can reach that level. One knock on him is his height, which he cannot change. So, I don't know...

And it's easy to be down on Couturier this year because he's been atrocious. He's still young and a highly rated prospect. How much he is affected by his skating will probably become evident only over the next 2-3 seasons.

I honestly do not envy Homer's position right now. I would do nothing until the season's over and we know where we're drafting. The only exception is if we can move Briere at the deadline for a nice return (high pick, prospect, whatever). There are only 18 games left in the Flyers season, so there's no reason to rush things.

Let's say the Flyers finish 25th or 26th, ending up with the 4th or 5th overall pick. Do you see if you can move up to grab #1 by moving a Sean Couturier, thereby guaranteeing your pick of the litter (Jones, hopefully). Or do you sit back and grab the best available player, possibly a defenseman, possibly not.

Tough choices.

@brelic The problem is, if we the fans notice Cout's skating weakness's, you can bet the other teams top pro scouts have noticed also. This limits how much you can get back, so you have to take a player with equal faults in order to make the trade doable. Ryan Ellis has a cannon of a shot, but might struggle in defensive zone coverage, although I know for a fact he's a master at shielding opposing forwards with his body, effectively seperating them from the puck. It's a give and take kinda thing, I don't think Homer can hit a clear home run in a trade right now, cause our questions will be the same ones an opposing GM will ask.