Corey Perry signed...

Orangecat

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Anaheim Ducks agreed to an eight-year contract extension with right wing Corey Perry on Monday, keeping the former NHL MVP with the club through the 2020-21 NHL season.

The deal is worth $69 million for an average of $8.63 million per year, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

So there goes a potential off-season target. This team isn't one Corey Perry away anyway.

Wow, I do not like what this means for Giroux at all. Homer will have to pony up right around the same amount if he wants to hang on to him.

ANd for the (broken) record, under no circumstance do I want Giroux signed to an 8 year deal. 5 at the MOST.

Wow. $17 million a year on Getzlaf and Perry??? Glad they had the lockout to lower salaries.

Yup. 1/4 of the salary cap on 2 guys. And not to take anything away from either of them, but these guys are in their prime right now for another 3 years or so. They're not worth Crosby money, and under new rules, it's certainly not a smart decision to lock them up for so long at such a high cap hit.

But, plus ça change...

• Like 1

So...Do we figure to see Bobby Ryan rumors again, or will a new name pop up? If so, who would you guys like the team to target in FA or trade??

Filppula will be a FA as will Nathan Horton, Semin & Weiss...

Couldn't find a solid Dman that wasnt pushing 40... Maybe I'm missing someone.

Edited by Orangecat

Wow. $17 million a year on Getzlaf and Perry??? Glad they had the lockout to lower salaries.

LOL. Ya thank goodness the league went through that extended exercise in futility....smart move, really accomplished a lot.

Absolutley agree FC, stop with the high priced FA's that don't work out and start focusing on this years draft. Looks like we'll definitely have a top ten pick with the way things are going!

That's crazy money for Perry, too. Glad we had the lockout to save the owners from themselves!

Getzlaf and Perry are both good players, perhaps even verging on "elite" level...But that's too much $$$ for them, especially under the soon-to-be-lowered lowered salary cap. My gut instinct is that these signings will hurt the Ducks in the long run.

(...And as for the Bobby Ryan rumors mentioned above...I will lose my $#*@ if the Flyers make any moves for players that aren't defensemen or goalies.)

Edited by Lucky13

Absolutley agree FC, stop with the high priced FA's that don't work out and start focusing on this years draft. Looks like we'll definitely have a top ten pick with the way things are going!

you cant just build through the draft because you got to get some pieces from fa to build this roster, most of the time players you drafted arent on this roster or not really so you cant rely on that.

the thing that worries me is that homer being the gm if he doesnt get fired, he'll probably draft another center and not a defensemen.

Edited by toughfighter83

Okay...Build through the draft. See you guys in 3-5 years.

Or, you can keep doing what they have for 2 1/2 decades and counting, and keep wishing we'd win a cup. Building through the draft won't guarantee us a cup. But I'd rather give it a shot instead of doing the same thing over and over that hasn't won us one.

• Like 1

Yea, like this fanbase has patience for that. Cold day in hell......

I heard that up here near Toronto. No way Leaf fans will wait for a rebuild. Meanwhile they haven't even made the playoffs since before 2 lockouts ago. Amazing how their younger players are doing and their biggest mistake was going for the "NOW" trade in Kessel.

Tell me which players you enjoy watching on the Flyers right now, the young up and coming ones that we're developing (Giroux, Simmonds,Voracek, Couturier, Schenns) or the older guys we paid top dollar to buy (Briere, Pronger, Bryzgalov)

• Like 3

Or, you can keep doing what they have for 2 1/2 decades and counting, and keep wishing we'd win a cup. Building through the draft won't guarantee us a cup. But I'd rather give it a shot instead of doing the same thing over and over that hasn't won us one.

a building through draft will get this team no where not unless you have competent gm that can do that, what makes you think homer can successfully do that? look at the phantoms, they are a bad team, homer cant draft, giroux, richards, carter, sharp were clarke's guys, clarke was the reason why the phantoms were a success, the phantoms are bad, the flyers are bad.

Yup. 1/4 of the salary cap on 2 guys. And not to take anything away from either of them, but these guys are in their prime right now for another 3 years or so. They're not worth Crosby money, and under new rules, it's certainly not a smart decision to lock them up for so long at such a high cap hit.

But, plus ça change...

In 8 years, they'll both be about 35 years-old. They should be pretty productive throughout the duration of their contract extensions.

Great move for the Ducks, IMO. And they have a lot of good, young, inexpensive scoring depth too.

They will be legit Cup contenders for the foreseeable future, IMO.

There is a substantial difference between "building through the draft" and doing nothing but drafting players.

Anaheim, for example, drafted Getzlaf (19) and Perry (28) in the same year and has added Ryan (2).

Imagine if the Flyers had drafted a young core in the first round and then added a second overall pick.

Wait, the Flyers did have that core. All of those pieces were dealt. Two have a Cup and the other is among the league leaders in scoring.

The Flyers seem to change direction every 2-3 years. They have just eight players - including Boucher/Leighton and there-and-back-again Gagne - who were on the team in the 2010 Cup run. So, really, five.

This team has made decisions it "had to make" over and over again. Assuming they "had" to make those decisions, it seems the decisions made were at least questionable.

If nothing else, it shows the difference between Anaheim's way of doing things and the Flyers' way.

Ducks are 20 years old and have half as many Cups as the Flyers.

In 8 years, they'll both be about 35 years-old. They should be pretty productive throughout the duration of their contract extensions.

Great move for the Ducks, IMO. And they have a lot of good, young, inexpensive scoring depth too.

They will be legit Cup contenders for the foreseeable future, IMO.

35 is old in hockey years, and there's no guarantee they continue to perform at that age. I'm convinced that $17 million tied up in Getzlaf and Perry in 6 years from now, when they're 33, will already look not so great.

I know that's what they would probably get on the open market, but I don't think they belong anywhere near Crosby's salary range. If Anaheim were a bubble, and the way you look at it is your top guy(s) should make as much as the top guys on other teams, then there's a point to be made. That's quite valid.

What drives me bonkers is these contracts that continue to pay top dollar to players well into their 30s (40s in some cases!) when their production, durability, and value tends to decline. There are other intangibles - such as mentoring, leadership, etc - that are valuable and in some ways can help offset the loss of on ice productivity. But I'm already pissed off that we're paying Briere $6.3M for exactly that at this point in his career....

35 is old in hockey years, and there's no guarantee they continue to perform at that age. I'm convinced that $17 million tied up in Getzlaf and Perry in 6 years from now, when they're 33, will already look not so great.

I know that's what they would probably get on the open market, but I don't think they belong anywhere near Crosby's salary range. If Anaheim were a bubble, and the way you look at it is your top guy(s) should make as much as the top guys on other teams, then there's a point to be made. That's quite valid.

What drives me bonkers is these contracts that continue to pay top dollar to players well into their 30s (40s in some cases!) when their production, durability, and value tends to decline. There are other intangibles - such as mentoring, leadership, etc - that are valuable and in some ways can help offset the loss of on ice productivity. But I'm already pissed off that we're paying Briere $6.3M for exactly that at this point in his career....

If keeping them both ends up winning a Cup (or two) for the Ducks, it'll be well worth the money.

Frankly, that is exactly how we would have all felt about the Pronger & Briere contracts if the Flyers had ever bothered to go find a real franchise goalie. We would have won a Cup in 2010, maybe more.

But now we're all crying about the contracts.

Briere would have won the Conn Smythe trophy in 2010 and we'd al be calling for him to retire as a Flyer.

• Like 1

The Flyers are "paying" Briere $7M for that production this season. But they also set up the contract to "pay" $3M and $2M in the next season. In that situation, they were expecting his production to decline.

This is ALL on their attempts to circumvent the cap. And anyone who doesn't think they were deliberately trying to circumvent the cap either works for the NHL, the Flyers or should be interested in this great deal on a bridge I've got between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Tell me which players you enjoy watching on the Flyers right now, the young up and coming ones that we're developing (Giroux, Simmonds,Voracek, Couturier, Schenns) or the older guys we paid top dollar to buy (Briere, Pronger, Bryzgalov)

Point well taken FC, although I wouldn't lump Pronger with the rest of these guys. He was doing quite well until he almost completely lost his eye sight in a freaky accident that could've happened to literally anybody. At the time the trade was made, I was infuriated probably like the most of the Flyers faithful. But it became apparent that Pronger brought exactly what the doctor ordered. He was instrumental in that trip to the finals two years ago.

• Like 2

If keeping them both ends up winning a Cup (or two) for the Ducks, it'll be well worth the money.

Frankly, that is exactly how we would have all felt about the Pronger & Briere contracts if the Flyers had ever bothered to go find a real franchise goalie. We would have won a Cup in 2010, maybe more.

But now we're all crying about the contracts.

Briere would have won the Conn Smythe trophy in 2010 and we'd al be calling for him to retire as a Flyer.

Maybe we would. But c'mon, you know Flyers fans ;) We would have been excited for the parade, and then started finding faults with the team the very next day!

The Pronger contract, I did not like from day one. It was too long, and in my mind, a clear attempt at cap circumvention. Add the fact that the multibillion dollar organization running the Flyers misunderstood the rules on the 35+ contract, and it's not hard to see that even *they* knew it was a bad deal. But, they thought they would be able to easily squirm out of it... but the 35+ rule really threw a wrench in the spokes.

The other contracts, like Briere and Bryz, again, I did not like the length from day one. THe difference now is that even in a trade or retirement, these contracts affect the team's cap.

Of course, I agree with you that a Cup has a funny way of changing how you see things.

But, as others have said already, these two contracts exemplify how GMs are unable to constrain themselves from handing out bad contracts.