Talbot Replacement (Update: Broken leg, out indef.)

flyerrod

The Flyers are going to need someone they can put on ice to take up for Talbot. That someone needs to be a defense minded guy and Ian Slater gets my vote. Harry Z will probably be the replacement but I don't see him as a 'defense first" player. I am not worried about my third line center scoring so much as him shutting down the other teams top line. Below is a link to what his current coach(Terry Murray) thinks about him. Anybody that remembers Terry Murray from his time with the Flyers knows he does not give out praise easily.

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2013/01/22/sports/doc50ff3b6731957652500249.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Edited by flyerrod

Couturier for 3rd center. Needs to happen. Get him ice time and see what he can do. Maybe break the slump?

Couturier would not be a bad choice I just thought it would make more sense to make one positional change rather than re-juggle the whole bottom 2 lines.

I think it's a left knee.

Yeah, if you watch the video it looks like Greene's left knee hits the inside of Talbot's left knee. Nothing intentional but the way they carried him down the tunnel it looked serious....

Couturier would not be a bad choice I just thought it would make more sense to make one positional change rather than re-juggle the whole bottom 2 lines.

Yeah, because it's been so long since the lines were juggled.

I think you put the NATURAL centers, at center, and put a kid at wing...like McGinn, Z, etc....this team has 45 centers signed..with Briere and Talbot out, they can finally play their normal position. Put Coots there and let it ride. Kid needs some confidence.

The Flyers are going to need someone they can put on ice to take up for Talbot. That someone needs to be a defense minded guy and Ian Slater gets my vote. Harry Z will probably be the replacement but I don't see him as a 'defense first" player. I am not worried about my third line center scoring so much as him shutting down the other teams top line. Below is a link to what his current coach(Terry Murray) thinks about him. Anybody that remembers Terry Murray from his time with the Flyers knows he does not give out praise easily.

http://www.saratogia...wmode=fullstory

Ryan Clowe

Can we get Welly in the line-up now? Let's create some speed mismatches for our 4th line......oh, forgot, that's Rosehills spot......pfffft...

Why haven't we seen Welly this year? I thought he had more to offer than Harry Z. At least he has some hockey skill.

@JackStraw I think Harry has skill, if he's developed properly I think he'll make a fine 3rd liner with double digit goals. I think his upside is in and around what Welly's is. Harry hit's also, hard enough to send players out of the game injured, which is a skill Welly does not offer.

I'm really disapointed how the Flyers have used Welly this year. He played a real nice forechecking game when he was utlized, did nothing to play himself off the roster. When you have a player in the top 2% of the NHL's speedy forwards AND the team struggles on the forecheck....it's just stupid to not use him. Plus, I know in my heart Welly has some offense packed away in there, although he's not lighting up the AHL, which is what promising prospects are supposed to do. Maybe this "attitude" thing is real, but that's not the player I seen in jr...he was the exact opposite, very, very team orientated. The whole thing is puzzling to me. The fact he has played a single game as a 6th rounder is nice, cause most of those guys don't get a single sniff. If they are not planning to utilize him, I hope they move him and give him a shot somewhere else.