Ben Bishop - Traded to Lightning

Guest brelic

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 2m

Lots of interest in Bishop: PHI, EDM, CAR and TBAY have all inquired. Sens would like a player and pick in return.

@tpanotchCSN Flyers need to weigh if cheaper to get Bishop today or this summer?

Are you guys interested? I'm not at all sold on Bishop. *If* at all possible, and I'm not sure it is, I would rather pay more (i.e. COuturier) for a guy like Lehner. I'm sick and tired of 'mediocre' and that's exactly what Ben Bishop sounds like to me.

I have read elsewhere that they would want a 2nd rounder and a player/prospect for Bishop. What player/prospect would you give up? To me, that's asking too much. Bishop is a 3rd round pick, unproven, that may or may not pan out. So give them the same.

• Like 1

I definitely think Bishop is worth a shot. I obviously wouldn't include a coots in that deal. But I'd do something along the lines of Cousins and a 2nd round draft pick

Ouch! No way do I include Cousins. Dude is flat out dominating in the OHL this year and has made huge leaps in each successive year. For a 3rd round pick, that's very very promising. Sure, I'd consider him for a much better goaltending prospect, but Bishop ain't it. The guy is 26 years old already, has all of 37 NHL games of experience, and hasn't demonstrated that he's a sure-fire starter in the league. Bobrovsky has shown much more than that, and what did we get for him? A 2nd and two 4th round picks. Bishop is not worth more than that.

• Like 2

When your starting goalie has played all but 2 games the entire season, even a lockout shortened one, you need to address your goalie situation. I don't know that Bishop is the answer, but I would rather see him in goal than our current guy Bryz. Granted Bryz has not played all that horrible this season, but he still needs to go for the boat anchor of a contract he signed just for cap reasons alone.

When your starting goalie has played all but 2 games the entire season, even a lockout shortened one, you need to address your goalie situation. I don't know that Bishop is the answer, but I would rather see him in goal than our current guy Bryz. Granted Bryz has not played all that horrible this season, but he still needs to go for the boat anchor of a contract he signed just for cap reasons alone.

That's true... but to me, going for Bishop means we will be using up perfectly good assets for what, IMO, looks like settling. We'll be settling for another mediocre goaltender who may or may not pan out. Bernier, Lehner, and those guys may not pan out either, but I'd much rather shoot for top flight and crash and burn than settle for mediocre.

• Like 1

Are you guys interested? I'm not at all sold on Bishop. *If* at all possible, and I'm not sure it is, I would rather pay more (i.e. COuturier) for a guy like Lehner. I'm sick and tired of 'mediocre' and that's exactly what Ben Bishop sounds like to me.

I have read elsewhere that they would want a 2nd rounder and a player/prospect for Bishop. What player/prospect would you give up? To me, that's asking too much. Bishop is a 3rd round pick, unproven, that may or may not pan out. So give them the same.

Ottawa has let it be known that they are not moving Lehner. He's the real deal. Need to take a run at Bishop. I have seen him completely steal a few games for Ottawa this season. I have been saying this for a couple of months now they need to look at Bishop.

Ottawa has let it be known that they are not moving Lehner. He's the real deal. Need to take a run at Bishop. I have seen him completely steal a few games for Ottawa this season. I have been saying this for a couple of months now they need to look at Bishop.

Right. Exactly why we should blow them away with an offer. Imagine Ottawa salivating at having Spezza, Turris, and Couturier as their 1, 2, 3 centers for the future. And in 4-5 years, when Turris and Couturier start dominating, Spezza can take a lesser role (he'll be 35). They have Anderson and Bishop as a solid 1/2, so if you can prepare an offer for them they can't refuse, maybe you get them to budge?

@TimKerrFan12 There's not much to move because of injuries.

@brelic I'm not sure it makes sense to go after a goalie today. When they do decide to go for a goalie, Bernier is the direction I would go first.

As most of us are realists and don't hold out much hope for this season, I would agree with looking harder at Bernier at the end of the season. The Kings seem to be fair trading partners too as far as being reasonable (Thank you to Mr. Hextall and Mr. Lombardi).

• Like 1

@flyerrod

I still don't understand why we didn't demand Bernier be part of the Richards trade, even if we had to give up something else.

Because the Flyers don't really care for the future in goal or defense, they are in love with forwards. Why we always suffer in goal and a no.1 defenseman, they will only go out to trade for one when we absolutely neccessarily need one bad.

Thinking about this piss me off really. We had a shot at Cujo but they went the cheap route with Beezer then when the goalie market stinks they way overpay for one.

Edited by Vincent05

@flyerrod

I still don't understand why we didn't demand Bernier be part of the Richards trade, even if we had to give up something else.

Maybe we did, but they refused. Kinda like Homer refusing to trade Giroux when he was still a prospect.

Or maybe we didn't ask because we had Bob, and already had the rights to Bryz (acquired on June 7th). Bryz was signed to his absurd contract on June 23rd... the same day Richards and Carter were traded. In his mind, goaltending was solved. Bernier was probably not even part of the equation.

• Like 3

I agree that we should go after Bernier in the offseason. Don't know why but Bishop to me seems like a great backup and will probably be a ok starter. I rather take a shot at Bernier then Bishop.

Why not get both. For what Bishop is going to cost. You still have the pieces to make a pitch for Bernier. I have a feeling Tampa or New jersey will go hard for Bernier in the summer.

Why not get both. For what Bishop is going to cost. You still have the pieces to make a pitch for Bernier. I have a feeling Tampa or New jersey will go hard for Bernier in the summer.

Yes we do have pieces to do both but we still need help on defense so it's not wise to trade them for 2 goalies.

@albertaflyer I agree, my girlfriend is a Sens fan, so I've seen enough of Bishop to know that he shows flashes of brillance. I don't think he's ever got a legit fair shot, I see potential and really nice size for a goalie. He stepped up large when Anderson went down, who can argue with a .922 save percentage when thrust into a regular role. If they are not asking for a lot, I'd be in on this guy, quick....he's better than anything we have now, much more athletic than Bryz. I think he has the upside to be an excellent NHL goalie. Maybe not a legit NHL starter, but who knows, he has the skill set and really has not been given a fair shake.

@brelic Wow, surprised the Bolts gave up Conacher. Obviously Stevie Y was thinking like I was, he sees the potential...this guy could be a steal for the Bolts. Him and that Russian kid Vasilevsky are gonna make a great tandem someday. Stevie took his shot with Lindback, who also looked promising, but the resluts were not great to say the least...I think he has better luck this time around.

@brelic Wow, surprised the Bolts gave up Conacher. Obviously Stevie Y was thinking like I was, he sees the potential...this guy could be a steal for the Bolts. Him and that Russian kid Vasilevsky are gonna make a great tandem someday. Stevie took his shot with Lindback, who also looked promising, but the resluts were not great to say the least...I think he has better luck this time around.

I wish we had us some Stevie Y!!

Anyway, LeBrun saying a Flyers source told him the price was just too high for Bishop.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m

Flyers source says price was too high for them on Bishop