Mr. Universe needs 5 Hour Energy

Bertmega

actually Rad Kimmo's comment means "it happens all the time so don't make a big deal about it."

that's how Kimmo "cleared his name," by stating it's so common that singling out Bryzgalov is pretty lame.

and if he was benched for it - in a "critical game" (supposedly) than that is even more lame by Lavy.

actually Rad Kimmo's comment means "it happens all the time so don't make a big deal about it."

that's how Kimmo "cleared his name," by stating it's so common that singling out Bryzgalov is pretty lame.

and if he was benched for it - in a "critical game" (supposedly) than that is even more lame by Lavy.

Well, here are the "actual" quotes from the coach, assistant captain and three other players:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-deny-report-bryzgalov-was-benched-sleeping

“No, that’s completely incorrect,” Laviolette said.

---

Flyer veteran Mike Knuble was floored by the report.

“Not unless they’re narcoleptic,” he laughed. “You hardly even sat down. I don’t think your [butt] made your spot on the bench warm enough. That’s silly, that’s asinine. You’re sitting in a bright room, in the middle of the day. It’s not like you’re locked into a film session for 45 minutes. Then I might see it. But not for half a cup of coffee meeting. Not even that.”

----

Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen, who is the longest-tenured member of the team’s leadership group, emphatically denied it, as well.

“That’s not true and I’ll tell you that on the record,” Timonen said. “And that’s it. If you want to ask more, ask Lavy [Peter Laviolette]. That’s not my business to tell you what happened and didn’t happen. He wasn’t sleeping. What a scoop! Have you ever seen anyone sleeping in a meeting? In the NHL, have you ever heard of anyone sleeping during a meeting? There’s a scoop.”

----

Forward Wayne Simmonds also denied the report.

“I did not see him sleeping at a team meeting,” Simmonds said.

----

“Who fell asleep?” Fedotenko asked. Told it was allegedly Bryzgalov, he replied, “I don’t know where that report came from, but nobody fell asleep when I was at the meetings. I don’t know if they had an individual meeting, but not the team meetings. That’s a bad rumor. I can speak for meetings, I was there and no one fell asleep.”

Fedotenko also said the Flyers meetings weren’t long enough to tire anyone out.

Ah okay thanks, that fleshes out the story quite a bit. Still seems to be some confusion on which meeting everyone's talking about - but whatever.

Now Rusty has me wondering why team meetings are so short ... if any team's got issues to discuss ... lol.

• Like 1

They should do an episode of Coatsy's Corner regarding this.

This just goes to show how stupid the Pfilthy Media really is. On a slow day, $hit a slow month, this is a non-story.

I heard that Bryz switched lanes on I-76 in route to a practice and didn't even use a turn signal.... #compliance_buy_out

• Like 2

How about Captain Terriffic Giroux step up and address the media on this? Just one more mistake they made this year.

So is Jonathan Toews a horrible captain because he's quiet? If you want to knock Giroux for not having a great year fine. But media circus ringleader is last on my criteria for being an NHL captain.

• Like 1

Ah okay thanks, that fleshes out the story quite a bit. Still seems to be some confusion on which meeting everyone's talking about - but whatever.

That's OK. Seravalli's article today on the "controversy" says Bryz dozed off in a team meeting and then talks about him "dozing off" on the bench as the incident in question.

http://www.philly.co...am_meeting.html

DESPITE PUBLIC denials from four Flyers players, multiple sources confirmed to the Daily News that goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov did "doze off" during a team meeting on Monday.

His sleep habits, however, were not the reason for Steve Mason making his first start as a Flyer on Tuesday on Long Island in the team's biggest game of the season.

The news - that cameras caught Bryzgalov with his eyes closed on the bench during the third period of Saturday's loss in Winnipeg - rippled throughout the team on its charter flight home. Bryzgalov was pulled after allowing four goals in the second period.

So, apparently, for Seravalli the "team meeting" happened on the bench in Winnipeg - apparently during the game.

Yes, the media can't even decide which meeting everyone's talking about.

Must be true.

"Report the controversy" - with a headline that says "BRYZ FELL ASLEEP AT TEAM MEETING."

Yes, multiple players say on the record that the report is not true, the coach says the report is "completely incorrect" and the Daily News "reports" "BRYZ FELL ASLEEP AT TEAM MEETING."

Take that for what it's worth.

Oh, Seravalli also "reports" that Bryz "fell asleep" after being told Mason would start - which is exactly the opposite of what was "reported" for why he was benched.

After practice on Monday, coach Peter Laviolette notified both Mason and Bryzgalov of his plans to start Mason.

At that point, multiple players confirmed Bryzgalov closed his eyes during the team's brief meeting that followed him being notified.

Also, Seravalli says in his view "from afar" players are tired of his "antics." And, of course, he can't quote any of the "multiple players" for fear of "retribution."

Wow, sounds like a fabulous locker room - assuming anything Servalli says has even the remotest truth to it. A "fact" which should certainly be in question to any impartial observer.

For the record, yeah, I'm tired of the antics. And I'm tired of the media's antics making mountains out of molehills.

Wow, sounds like a fabulous locker room - assuming anything Servalli says has even the remotest truth to it

unfortunately we can't assume that. If there's any truth to his reporting on this it is indeed "remote" and so confused and twisted that it makes no sense.

OTOH the video clip from NHL Live is pretty damning. Bryzgalov gets pulled in the Jets game, Mason starts the 3rd and during a break Mason skates over to the bench and Bryzgalov not only ignores him but closes his eyes, yawns and turns away. That's a pretty crappy thing to do to a brand new teammate.

• Like 1

They should do an episode of Coatsy's Corner regarding this.

This just goes to show how stupid the Pfilthy Media really is. On a slow day, $hit a slow month, this is a non-story.

I heard that Bryz switched lanes on I-76 in route to a practice and didn't even use a turn signal.... #compliance_buy_out

If they has said it was Coatsey who dozed off, that I could believe.

• Like 1

OTOH the video clip from NHL Live is pretty damning. Bryzgalov gets pulled in the Jets game, Mason starts the 3rd and during a break Mason skates over to the bench and Bryzgalov not only ignores him but closes his eyes, yawns and turns away. That's a pretty crappy thing to do to a brand new teammate.

So, clearly, he fell asleep in a team meeting.

This has now devolved into "well, clearly Bryz must have done something or people wouldn't be talking about it."

Teach the controversy.

We report, you decide.

Facts? Don't worry about "facts" - "it's out there!"

So is Jonathan Toews a horrible captain because he's quiet? If you want to knock Giroux for not having a great year fine. But media circus ringleader is last on my criteria for being an NHL captain.

I did not say that. You did. It is not in particular a good comparison eiher. Giroux is the face of the franchise not Toews. Kimmo is the one who should be the captain of the Flyers because he would of been a better choice. Much better. Certain media go to Kimmo for just that reason.

here's the whole 'story' from Frank Seravalli

Despite public denials from four Flyers players and coach Peter Laviolette, multiple sources confirmed to the Daily News that goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov did in fact “doze off” during a team meeting on Monday.

His sleep habits, however, were not the reason for Steve Mason making his first start as a Flyer on Tuesday on Long Island in the team’s biggest game of the season.

News of cameras catching Bryzgalov with his eyes closed on the Flyers’ bench during the third period of Saturday’s loss in Winnipeg rippled throughout the team on their charter flight home. Bryzgalov was pulled after allowing four goals in the second period.

(Video of Bryzgalov dozing off on the bench against Winnipeg is posted below.)

After practice on Monday, Laviolette notified both Mason and Bryzgalov of his plans to start Mason.

At that point, multiple players confirmed Bryzgalov closed his eyes during the team’s brief meeting that followed him being notified.

“Whether he was actually sleeping or not, no one knows for sure,” said one player on the condition of anonymity, for fear of retribution. “It seemed like he may have been doing it to get a rise out of other players. I’m not really sure why he did it, or if he was faking it. Either way, it seemed to catch and lot of people by surprise and angered a few people.”

Once again, Bryzgalov is in the thick of controversy – something that has marred his two years in Philadelphia since signing a 9-year, $51 million deal in 2011.

The Daily News had begun to report the story on Tuesday but was unable to question both Bryzgalov and Laviolette. Instead, Harry Mayes, host from the team’s flagship radio station, 97.5 FM “The Fanatic,” reported Wednesday that Bryzgalov was “benched” because he fell asleep in the meeting.

Bryzgalov would have made his 23rd straight start of the season Tuesday. He was not available to answer questions Wednesday, despite the fact that he practiced with the team’s healthy scratches in Voorhees, N.J.

“Did he get benched because he… (fell asleep in a meeting)?” Laviolette said. “That’s completely incorrect.”

Laviolette responded to the question he was asked. However, he was not asked directly if Bryzgalov appeared to be sleeping.

When pressed to further clarify by the Daily News after his scrum with the media ended, Laviolette offered a blanket statement: “Our meetings are team meetings. They’re not for media or public consumption.”

Whether or not Bryzgalov’s antics on the bench in Winnipeg had anything to do with Laviolette’s decision to start Mason on Monday remains unclear. Laviolette would not answer when asked Wednesday whether Bryzgalov will start against Ottawa on Thursday.

Flyers veteran Mike Knuble said it would be impossible for a teammate to fall asleep in “not even half a cup of coffee meeting.”

“Not unless they’re narcoleptic,” Knuble said. “You hardly even sat down. I don’t think your ass made your spot on the bench warm enough. That’s silly. That’s asinine. You’re sitting in a bright room in the middle of the day.”

Kimmo Timonen also emphatically denied the 97.5 FM “The Fanatic” report.

“That’s not true and I’ll tell you on the record,” Timonen said. “If you want more, ask ‘Lavy.’ That’s not my business to tell you what happened and what didn’t happen. He wasn’t sleeping.”

Ruslan Fedotenko called it a “bad rumor.” Wayne Simmonds said he “did not see him sleeping at a meeting.”

“I don’t know where that report came from,” Fedotenko said, “But nobody fell asleep when I was at the meetings.”

Yet, two other players said Bryzgalov “definitely had his eyes closed” and “it was a big topic of conversation amongst players.” Some voiced their concern that Bryzgalov closed his eyes to show his displeasure of the decision to start Mason.

That wouldn’t be the first time Bryzgalov expressed dissatisfaction over not starting in a big game. Prior to the 2012 Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park, Bryzgalov famously announced to the world that Sergei Bobrovsky would be in net, as Bryzgalov wanted to make sure he “didn’t forget” his thermos to keep him warm on the bench.

In a rare move this season, Bryzgalov held court with reporters after Tuesday’s pre-game skate on Long Island. He made it a point to explain his fatigue level after starting 22 straight.

“I was tired,” Bryzgalov said. “In general, I don’t have major injuries. But you’re sore here, you’re sore there. Every day, it’s something new.”

Bryzgalov’s exact fatigue level is something only he – and his teammates - know for sure. From afar, it seems like more of Bryzgalov being Bryzgalov. What is abundantly clear, though, is that Bryzgalov’s teammates are tired of his act – and covering for him.

here's the whole 'story' from Frank Seravalli

I guess the Flyers rode him too hard and often this year.... ;) Sad now is that Mason will play, probably look lethal notwithstanding the slop in front of him, and the Flyers will win games. Then our pick goes out the window. Then there will be another raging goalie controversy all summer and all over this board until next Fall. You know they are not going to buy-out this guy until at best next year because too much money left on the table and crow to eat. :wacko:

And people wonder why hockey players give generic statements like "get pucks deep" "play 60 minutes" or "give 110%". The media used to be on the teams side.

The Philly media at it's finest:

http://www.philly.co...ources_say.html

According to multiple league sources, the 76ers organization privately hopes that coach Doug Collins decides not to return for the 2013-14 season and, regardless of his decision, it does not intend to extend his contract - which has one year remaining

Keep in mind, the season isn't even over yet. Only a few games left, but still, at least show the guy some respect and wait a little while? What good can come of announcing to the world that the coach is a lame duck? And I think Bob Ford is one of the better ones.

The media is on it's own side. Period.

Edited by JackStraw

The Philly media at it's finest:

http://www.philly.co...ources_say.html

According to multiple league sources, the 76ers organization privately hopes that coach Doug Collins decides not to return for the 2013-14 season and, regardless of his decision, it does not intend to extend his contract - which has one year remaining

Keep in mind, the season isn't even over yet. Only a few games left, but still, at least show the guy some respect and wait a little while? What good can come of announcing to the world that the coach is a lame duck? And I think Bob Ford is one of the better ones.

The media is on it's own side. Period.

How about those "multiple league sources"? Who's side are they on?

Wait, did I just comment on the 76ers?

Forget I said anything. Most people have blissfully forgotten the Sixers exist anyway.

So, clearly, he fell asleep in a team meeting.

This has now devolved into "well, clearly Bryz must have done something or people wouldn't be talking about it."

re: the "fell asleep at a meeting" story - yeah pretty much.

But the video clip is different. K. Weeks makes light of it and that's the right response for the media imo - no reason to make a huge deal out of it. But it does show Bryzgalov being a bit of a dick to his partner.

re: the "fell asleep at a meeting" story - yeah pretty much.

But the video clip is different. K. Weeks makes light of it and that's the right response for the media imo - no reason to make a huge deal out of it. But it does show Bryzgalov being a bit of a dick to his partner.

I hear ya. Again, I'm not coming at this as a "Bryz apologist" as much as an observer of the truth.

Bryz deserves to be bought out, but whether he fell asleep in a meeting or closed his eyes when Mason came to the bench are two of the most inconsequential reasons for it.

• Like 1