No one thinks the lottery was rigged?

Guest B21

A once pround franchise struggling at the gate wins the lottery and the right to draft not only the best D prospect in years but a kid who learned the game in Denver (i.e. - gate receipts) and not one mention of the fix being in?

You guys is slippin'. ;)

I'm thinking Colorado and TB have been tanking lately.

Seriously, though, Florida and TB are not deserving of guys like MacKinnon and Drouin. Let's end the charade and get out of those markets.

Shut down Phoenix, Florida, TB, NYI, Columbus, and Nashville.

Man, how much more awesome would the league be without those franchises? The teams would be stronger, the product would be better.

All that to say, screw you Colorado! I guess they must have gotten some advice from the Pens ;)

Didn't Seth Jones grow up in Dallas? The lottery wasn't rigged...the end of the season was, when every team tanked against the Flyers, insuring they won, and lessened their draft position. :P

Looks like he moved around a few times but discovered hockey at age 5 in Denver when his dad was with the Nuggets and lived there for 7 years. Works for me! :)

Looks like he moved around a few times but discovered hockey at age 5 in Denver when his dad was with the Nuggets and lived there for 7 years. Works for me! :)

I'll take your word for it, I thought he discovered hockey while in Dallas, after his dad approached Mike Modano....regardless, the NHL has once again shafted the Flyers. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure they did... :lol:

• Like 1

@B21

I'd like to know why they can't just draw the g'damned picks in front of everyone and put the idea to rest. The way they did it is just so...Bettman!

Beats me but there is no way in He-Double-L that these things aren't on the up and up. To many opposing interests. If there was even hint of impropriety about Colorado winning, you don't think Florida would be screaming bloody murder? A rigged draft could ruin the NHL. At a minimum you'd be looking at a huge hit in creditbility, ratings, attendance, etc (i.e. - owners' pockets). I don't think 29 owners would want to risk that just to make sure the Avs can draft a kid who learned his hockey in Denver.

@B21

I'd like to know why they can't just draw the g'damned picks in front of everyone and put the idea to rest. The way they did it is just so...Bettman!

Yep, totally agree. Not sure exactly what it is like in the states but here in Europe every lottery drawing that I can think of is done live on TV. Not because they need to , it just ensures that everyone believes it is random. The problem is when they start to do these things behind closed doors it looks improper even when it isn't. All they needed was large bowl with an appropriate number of balls in it, shouldn't be too difficult to achieve really!

• Like 2

Beats me but there is no way in He-Double-L that these things aren't on the up and up. To many opposing interests. If there was even hint of impropriety about Colorado winning, you don't think Florida would be screaming bloody murder? A rigged draft could ruin the NHL. At a minimum you'd be looking at a huge hit in creditbility, ratings, attendance, etc (i.e. - owners' pockets). I don't think 29 owners would want to risk that just to make sure the Avs can draft a kid who learned his hockey in Denver.

I completely agree with this. I do agree, also, with the idea they should just do the drawing in public. It wouldn't be all that difficult and I don't understand what would be the risk in doing so. Clearly, you're right that the league would be insane to try to pull a fast one. But it seems equally insane to allow for the almost required murmuring of impropriety caused by not doing it publicly.

I'm not having a particularly creative moment, so can anyone think of a downside/risk of drawing publicly?

Yep, totally agree. Not sure exactly what it is like in the states but here in Europe every lottery drawing that I can think of is done live on TV. Not because they need to , it just ensures that everyone believes it is random. The problem is when they start to do these things behind closed doors it looks improper even when it isn't. All they needed was large bowl with an appropriate number of balls in it, shouldn't be too difficult to achieve really!

What they need to do is spin a really big wheel, "Price Is Right" style, with the appropriate number of slots for each team participating. This way there could be some television drama to go along with it. They could play special music like "Bring In the Clowns" or "The Rodeo Song" or something. Fun for the whole family.

What they need to do is spin a really big wheel, "Price Is Right" style, with the appropriate number of slots for each team participating. This way there could be some television drama to go along with it. They could play special music like "Bring In the Clowns" or "The Rodeo Song" or something. Fun for the whole family.

That's how they did the Gilbert Perreault lottery when Buffalo and Vancouver joined the league.A crown and anchor wheel with Sabres or Canucks at every other spot.

I completely agree with this. I do agree, also, with the idea they should just do the drawing in public. It wouldn't be all that difficult and I don't understand what would be the risk in doing so. Clearly, you're right that the league would be insane to try to pull a fast one. But it seems equally insane to allow for the almost required murmuring of impropriety caused by not doing it publicly.

I'm not having a particularly creative moment, so can anyone think of a downside/risk of drawing publicly?

Downside....hmmm.

Machine breaks?

A number is drawn and the winning GM stands up and yells "Bingo!" (That would be kinda cool actually.)

• Like 1

What about a "Press Your Luck" system?

"No whammys! No whammys! Seth Jones! Seth Jones! No whammys! STOP!"

• Like 1

I'll take your word for it, I thought he discovered hockey while in Dallas, after his dad approached Mike Modano....regardless, the NHL has once again shafted the Flyers. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure they did... :lol:

Born in Arrlington (Dallas), moved to Denver. His dad approached Joe Sakic for advice. Then he moved back to Dallas area at age 12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Jones_(ice_hockey)