"Pittsburgh has a goaltending issue"

Guest trevluk

I don't think you'll find a Pens fan that doesn't agree. Fleury has been abysmal since the first game. Not that all of it is his fault, but he gave away two gimme's again tonight. He's just not technically sound at anything at the moment.

Problem is the players in front of him aren't helping either, they're just playing very soft right now.

I don't think you'll find a Pens fan that doesn't agree. Fleury has been abysmal since the first game. Not that all of it is his fault, but he gave away two gimme's again tonight. He's just not technically sound at anything at the moment.

Problem is the players in front of him aren't helping either, they're just playing very soft right now.

So who do YOU play in game 5?

Favorites of DB aside, you have to play Vokoun. You brought him in to help out, so let him. Fleury a basket case at the moment.

You may also want to spend about an hour tommorow teaching your team how to band the puck off the glass to clear the zone instead of weak pass up the middle.

• Like 1

Ok to our resident Pens fans.... if Blysma does start Vokoun and the Pens lose the game and then go on to lose the series....is Blysma fired? Serious question here.....does he stay or does he go?

Not bouncing back at all.

Agreed, but I think tonight loss was different. I think tonight's loss was personal to him. I think he has something to prove now and could be lights out next game. Tough call, but I think you are right, give Vokoun a start.

Ok to our resident Pens fans.... if Blysma does start Vokoun and the Pens lose the game and then go on to lose the series....is Blysma fired? Serious question here.....does he stay or does he go?

He should be (I would) but I think he would get 1 more year. That's about all the "Cup Capital" he has left.

As well as NY is playing, as bad as the Pitt Team D has been (special award for boneheaded play goes to MAF) I still can't believe the Pens will let this series slip away. Nabby hasn't been good he's been just barely okay. I will be shocked if the Pens lose at home tomorrow night. Then again I'm shocked already. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last 3 games you guys have blown 2-goal leads twice and a 1-goal lead twice. Not exactly a recipe for winning...

I know this is a goaltending thread, but what the hell is up with the team in front of him? Is it the roster turnover with all the injuries/few trades, and they just don't have any chemistry right now? IF the Pens get past the Islanders, they might just figure it out and run away with the East; that's how crazy the playoffs are.

Then again, I read yesterday the Pens have never won a playoff series vs the Isles. :ph34r:

I guess a lot of people in Pitts are asking the same question. You're right, never mind the obvious struggles in net, what is with all these turnovers and this soft / sloppy Team D? They sure haven't looked like the team that went 15 straight this year.

If you bench MAF and play Vokoun (probably the correct move for the short-term), is MAF mentally done or does he come back from it? I would think that has to be some of the concern in benching him, doesn't it? It seems his problems are clearly mental, so I'm wondering if benching helps or hurts him.

And I know that cannot be the primary concern. Obviously if you're a coach you have to do what's best for the team--especially one that is clearly built to do it NOW. If you bench him for game 5 and you win, do you bring him back for game 6 or do you decide to ride as far as you can with Vokoun and only go back to MAF if Vokoun should falter?

I'm a fan of a team that is playing golf right now and has a goaltending problem because the day ends in Y. But I do actually feel badly for Pens fans who are possibly watching catastrophe unfold.

I guess a lot of people in Pitts are asking the same question. You're right, never mind the obvious struggles in net, what is with all these turnovers and this soft / sloppy Team D? They sure haven't looked like the team that went 15 straight this year.

This is what's killing me.

The team that was on the roll dumped in hard and banged away, not happening. Need to use speed coming into the zone to get to pucks and cycle, no more turnovers at the blue line on soft plays.

The team that was on a role played the puck quickly in the D zone instead of lollygagging with it. Soft passes and clears that have no chance, get it high off the glass. Move the puck quickly, don't just go in and go into protect mode.

The team that was on a role had a goaltender that was technically sound. MAF is off his line so often now, its unreal.

Offensively, they've scored 5, 3, 5 and 4 goals in games, that should be enough. That's not the issue, just think if they could get some more zone time instead of flailing away in their own end?

Right now, the Isles are the team that WANTS it more, and it shows. Bylsma needs to start to chew people out. This is an effort problem

Then again, I read yesterday the Pens have never won a playoff series vs the Isles. :ph34r:

That would be correct.

Isles came back from 3-0 to beat them in 1975 (1st or 2nd time that happened) and then of course...David Volek keeping the Pens from the 3-peat.

If you bench MAF and play Vokoun (probably the correct move for the short-term), is MAF mentally done or does he come back from it? I would think that has to be some of the concern in benching him, doesn't it? It seems his problems are clearly mental, so I'm wondering if benching helps or hurts him.

And I know that cannot be the primary concern. Obviously if you're a coach you have to do what's best for the team--especially one that is clearly built to do it NOW. If you bench him for game 5 and you win, do you bring him back for game 6 or do you decide to ride as far as you can with Vokoun and only go back to MAF if Vokoun should falter?

I'm a fan of a team that is playing golf right now and has a goaltending problem because the day ends in Y. But I do actually feel badly for Pens fans who are possibly watching catastrophe unfold.

In all the threads about who the Pens keep in 2014-15 (Malkin or Letang), I've said it's possible if they move a guy like Paul Martin...$5,000,000 cap hit.

Guess who else has a $5,000,000 cap hit?

Maybe it's Fleury who goes in a deal. Won't get anywhere near full value but who cares? Keep Vokoun for 1-2 more years and groom the pipeline. That Hartzell signing makes a lot of sense now.

• Like 2

This is what's killing me.

The team that was on the roll dumped in hard and banged away, not happening. Need to use speed coming into the zone to get to pucks and cycle, no more turnovers at the blue line on soft plays.

The team that was on a role played the puck quickly in the D zone instead of lollygagging with it. Soft passes and clears that have no chance, get it high off the glass. Move the puck quickly, don't just go in and go into protect mode.

The team that was on a role had a goaltender that was technically sound. MAF is off his line so often now, its unreal.

Offensively, they've scored 5, 3, 5 and 4 goals in games, that should be enough. That's not the issue, just think if they could get some more zone time instead of flailing away in their own end?

Right now, the Isles are the team that WANTS it more, and it shows. Bylsma needs to start to chew people out. This is an effort problem

They gave the Isles reason to believe with that effort in Game 2.

They gave the Isles reason to believe with that effort in Game 2.

You go with what works, and change what doesn't. The Isles understand, and found something that's working. The Pens are stagnant believe that what's not working will somehow start to.

Thank God!!

I recall having a goaltending discussion with you over the winter. So in my best Polaris impression....

Honestly I think Fleury just needs one two more chances to turn this ship around. it's not his fault the Pens are losing these games, he's really a good goalie who's just having some bad luck. Just two more games is all the Islanders I ask and I promise everything will turn out just fine. He really is good, really...honest. Really. Honest.