So does Letang get suspended for crosschecking the linesman?

After a little research, that was part of a scrum and it was in an effort to beat up lindy ruff... So way to go chief!

Who cares if it was Ruff? Two officials had them separated. That means "stop punching". He kept swinging. He was looking right at the Ranger (criteria for Letang hit mind you) but clocks the ref instead?

Bush. Illegal. Suspendable. But wasn't.

Letang and the official both came out and said "no big deal" but you guys kept at it with the Pens' bias BS. So here is a Flyer who did worse and wasn't suspended.

Case closed.

• Like 1

Who cares if it was Ruff? Two officials had them separated. That means "stop punching". He kept swinging. He was looking right at the Ranger (criteria for Letang hit mind you) but clocks the ref instead?

Bush. Illegal. Suspendable. But wasn't.

Letang and the official both came out and said "no big deal" but you guys kept at it with the Pens' bias BS. So here is a Flyer who did worse and wasn't suspended.

Case closed.

I never said squat about Breck girl in this thread, i said fighting with 0:00 is bush league. And I care that it was Ruff he was and still is a grade A chode. The officials hardly had any of that flyers/rangers situation in hand , was it in the playoffs ? It was surely before the "new rules " post lockout, was it suspension worthy at the time? So no , not case closed not comparable due to the change in rules.

Plus, I know he's an assistant coach and all but he's (Berube) hardly the first person people think of when they think of the Flyers. Where Letang is a leading Norris trophy candidate and is certainly more recognizable.

I actually don't think what 58 did was all that bad, in the context of what was happening.

Floors yours. I'm good with this non-event .

Edited by mojo1917

Actually... Punching the official is not only suspendable at the time, it's a crime in most states. Not that it ever gets handled that way. But in this case Berube is a bigger dick than Letang will ever be. Lol

@mojo1917

I never said squat about Breck girl in this thread, i said fighting with 0:00 is bush league. And I care that it was Ruff he was and still is a grade A chode. The officials hardly had any of that flyers/rangers situation in hand , was it in the playoffs ? It was surely before the "new rules " post lockout, was it suspension worthy at the time? So no , not case closed not comparable due to the change in rules.

Rule change...so punching an official was legal when Berube did it? The issue is Letang's cross check of the offical and no suspension. Not a fight at the end of the game.

Plus, I know he's an assistant coach and all but he's (Berube) hardly the first person people think of when they think of the Flyers. Where Letang is a leading Norris trophy candidate and is certainly more recognizable.

Don't care. He was a Flyer when it happened and he got bubkus.

I actually don't think what 58 did was all that bad, in the context of what was happening.

Good - then we agree.

Does anyone know if Craig Berube was suspended when he punched referee Kevin Collins in the face leaving him with a bloody nose? Just wondering.

Different time B. In those days most of the hits that guys are being suspended for were called great checks. Scott Stevens made the hall of Fame for bodychecks that would have him suspended for life now.

Different time B. In those days most of the hits that guys are being suspended for were called great checks. Scott Stevens made the hall of Fame for bodychecks that would have him suspended for life now.

You were never allowed to punch refs though bud. I think the point is folks often try to paint the Flyers like victims and the Pens as golden boys but the reality is the sweater doesn't matter. It's all give and take.

Player on player? Diferrent, sure. Player on official? Just as wrong then as it is now.

Yep, if that was Rinaldo he's out for the series, probably the rest of the POs.

But I'm okay with nothing for this. It was obviously a reaction not a premeditated hit. It was the wrong reaction but it was harmless. If Letang had the class to apologize to the official that's enough for me.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

If anyone on the Flyers crosschecked a ref in this day, I would fully expect him to be suspended.

I think you're missing our point. Berube punched a ref in the face. PUNCHED A REF IN THE FACE. Doesn't matter what era, that's not acceptable behavior. They didn't suspend him for it. It's worse than what Letang did. I don't care that they didn't suspend Berube for it. Why does anyone care that they didn't suspend Letang for this love tap?

I think you're missing our point. Berube punched a ref in the face. PUNCHED A REF IN THE FACE. Doesn't matter what era, that's not acceptable behavior. They didn't suspend him for it. It's worse than what Letang did. I don't care that they didn't suspend Berube for it. Why does anyone care that they didn't suspend Letang for this love tap?

Is there any video of this incident? I cant believe if Berube punched a ref inthe face ON PURPOSE he wouldnt have been suspended. If it was heat of the moment and he took a swing at Lindy and hit the ref, that is a different story. Agreed that if the refs step in to stop the fight you gotta stop throwing, but that sometimes doesnt even happen to this day, let alone in the days of rock 'em sock 'em hockey. If it truly was accidental I would think this incident would fall under the description of job hazzard for NHL linesmen of the day.

@trevluk

I see the Ranger hit the official (maybe both of them) and then Berube hits the Ranger and official with the same punch.. In a scuffle. Neither of them looks at the ref with noone else around and hits him, like Letang does.

Edited by flyercanuck

@trevluk

@flyercanuck

Berube's punch hits the linesman square in the left cheek. Nobody else. The point I believe @B21 was trying to make was the league's officials have accepted that as part of the job. I don't believe Letang registered who he was whacking in the heat of the moment any more than Berube would realize his fist would catch the lineman rather than Ruff. That in the grand scheme of things, if the officials take no exception to it, why should anyone else.

Lets face it... There are some Flyers fans here that are quick to say how bad everyone else can be while turning a blind eye to your own team's history. That's why these conversations often go into these comparisons. We post to show how hypocritical it can be.

Lets face it... There are some Flyers fans here that are quick to say how bad everyone else can be while turning a blind eye to your own team's history. That's why these conversations often go into these comparisons. We post to show how hypocritical it can be.

"Blind" fans are always hypocritical, regardless of what team they support. There are plenty of blind Flyers fans just as there are plenty of blind Pens fens, or Rags fans, or Sens fans, or Caps fans, or... well you get the idea.

"Blind" fans are always hypocritical, regardless of what team they support. There are plenty of blind Flyers fans just as there are plenty of blind Pens fens, or Rags fans, or Sens fans, or Caps fans, or... well you get the idea.

I agree! Just happen to be more Flyers fans here so @B21 and I have our work cut out for us sometimes. The favor gets returned from time to time ;)

I agree! Just happen to be more Flyers fans here so @B21 and I have our work cut out for us sometimes. The favor gets returned from time to time ;)

Well, this is a relastively young site, so recruit more Pens fans!! (We need the target practice. :D )

Hope you're not referring to me as the hypocrite? Here you are openly welcome (at least most of us feel that way and I've personally stood up for you on this board several times) on a Flyers board, one that you can't get more Pens fans on cause they don't want to stray off their Pens fans only board where all is righteous and Crosby. I get booted off the Pens HF board just for having the word "Flyer" in my username. Seriously. And I was the one taking the verbal abuse, not giving it.

As for the punch I'd say it hits him between the eyes and also glances off Ruffs helmut.. But he was obviously aiming at the Ranger. Letang looks right at the ref with noone else near them. It wasn't vicious, but he was clearly crosschecking an official. Berube was punching at a player.

Edited by flyercanuck

As for the punch I'd say it hits him between the eyes and also glances off Ruffs helmut.. But he was obviously aiming at the Ranger. Letang looks right at the ref with noone else near them. It wasn't vicious, but he was clearly crosschecking an official. Berube was punching at a player.

Right. Craig Berube. A guy who's sole job it is to fight somehow misses a clean shot at the Ranger and clocks the official right between the eyes.

The official didn't even react to Letang when it happened. Must have really hurt. When your guy did it, the official looked like he'd gone 12 rounds with Tyson.

It was not a scrum. It was Berube v. Ruff with an official separating each of them at that point. Again - that means no more throwing punches...which Berube ignores. None of the other players were involved. After it happens, Collins looks back at Berube with a "WTF?" look on him.

Sorry, man. But calling for a suspension for Letang here is pure hatin'. And if Berube isn't getting suspended for worse, Rinaldo sure as he-ll isn't either.

But calling for a suspension for Letang here is pure hatin'. And if Berube isn't getting suspended for worse, Rinaldo sure as he-ll isn't either.

agree with the purity of the hatin' it is thick and rich like pancake syrup. there is no way that contact warrants a suspension, in my book at least.

and all things being equal i hate referee's so much i wouldn't mind seeing RInaldo make like Letang just to test your little hypothesis. it would be win win, a douche bag referee gets busted in the pie hole and you lose the suspension argument. :D

agree with the purity of the hatin' it is thick and rich like pancake syrup. there is no way that contact warrants a suspension, in my book at least.

and all things being equal i hate referee's so much i wouldn't mind seeing RInaldo make like Letang just to test your little hypothesis. it would be win win, a douche bag referee gets busted in the pie hole and you lose the suspension argument. :D

Well since you guys dragged Rinaldo into this...hasn't his discipline been fair? 1 suspension that was warranted plus two fines for incidents that well...deserved fines?

I fail to see how the NHL has been unfair considering all his borderline (but legal) hits. Can the guy at least get disciplined for something that doesn't desereve it before we play the victim card?

It's like the Flyers fan (generally speaking) thinks they will explode if they don't have some injustice to complain about. Exhibit 97: Kris Letang.

Right. Craig Berube. A guy who's sole job it is to fight somehow misses a clean shot at the Ranger and clocks the official right between the eyes.

The official didn't even react to Letang when it happened. Must have really hurt. When your guy did it, the official looked like he'd gone 12 rounds with Tyson.

It was not a scrum. It was Berube v. Ruff with an official separating each of them at that point. Again - that means no more throwing punches...which Berube ignores. None of the other players were involved. After it happens, Collins looks back at Berube with a "WTF?" look on him.

Sorry, man. But calling for a suspension for Letang here is pure hatin'. And if Berube isn't getting suspended for worse, Rinaldo sure as he-ll isn't either.

First off all, I agree that anyone calling for a LeWang suspension is pure hatin because it was not a suspension worthy incident. But implying that Berube intended to punch an official in the face while trying to take one last shot at the enemy he was just in a fight with?? Well that is either pure hatin or pure ignorance on your part. Your choice.

Here's an idea..let's drag out every incident in the last 20 years and compare them. This thread is ridiculous right now. Lock the damn thing and move on....

To be blunt, I am beyond sick and tired of the constant back and forth between Flyers and Pens fans that ultimately ends up in petty bickering. Pens fans think their players do little/no wrong, Flyers fans think the refs favor the Pens, and Flyers fans think the league is out to get the Flyers With a few exceptions, that pretty much covers every argument between Flyers and Pens fans.