Nurse == Coburn?

Guest ctid

Anybody else agree with Meltzer's article today about Darnell Nurse, in his opinion, is VERY similar to Coburn?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Should-Flyers-Trade-Up-Stand-Pat-or-Trade-Down/45/51782#.UaO2bdhQMrA

We may have overrated Nurse. I'm leaning more towards Pulock at this point, even over Risto.

I doubt this draft comes anywhere near the 03 in talent so you can't really compare. Or what if they moved up from 11 to 7 and got Suter? Or picked Getzlaf or Parise or Perry or Weber instead of Carter or Richards? And trying to compare 18 year old defenceman is a tough call. Nurse could end up way better than Coburn. Or the same. Or not ever make the NHL.

And I'm not sure I like trading all the way down to 25th. It'd be nice to have those 2nd rounders, but...

this draft is good in defenseman but as FC said it is nowhere near '03 in terms of overall talent. I like Nurse a lot and see him differently than a Coburn. The kid can pplay physical and uses his body consistantly... If he is there at #11 I am all for picking him... I would rather have Nurse or Risto than Pulock honeslty but that is just my opinion...

After Jones I am not sure any of the defensemen are cornerstone type guys...

• Like 1

Nowhere near the talent of 03? To be honest this draft has the potential to blow away the 03 draft. There are three sure super stars along with numerous impact/potential super star talent right into the first 15 of the second round!

No doom. There are a lot more impact/star/ super star in this draft then 03 . I can't remember but are there any super stars in the 03 draft?

Staal, Suter, Parise, Weber, Perry, Getzlaf, Carter, Richards. I would say those are about the 8 best players from that draft. But I wouldn't consider any of them super stars... highly talented, for sure.

Weber might be the only one that qualifies, though I haven't watched him play more than a handful of games, so I'm just guessing based on what people say about him.

@Jmdodgesrt4

Potential superstars into the first 15 of the 2nd round? OK, I mean I guess you could say potential superstars through any entire draft. But reality tells me there's one superstar and maybe 3 or 4 more potential superstars in the top 5 or 6 picks. MacKinnon has it written all over him. Maybe Drouin, Jones, Nichushkin, Barkov. And honestly I have no opinion of Barkov and Nichushkin cause I haven't seen enough of them. Barkov sounds like a solid, albeit unspectacular player. Niscushkin has potential, but the Russian factor says that could go either way..

The 03 draft is one of the top 2 of alltime. I won't hold my breath this one is better. I think there's depth, but not the quality of depth that 03 held. Parise at 17? Getzlaf at 19? Burns at 20? Kesler at 23? Mike Richards at 24? Corey Perry at 28? Erickson at 33? Bergeron at 45? Weber at 49? Backes at 62? Those guys are ALL better than our 2nd overall in 07.

No offence Jm, but if you're seeing better than that coming out of this draft, you've been hanging around with Toronto Mayor Rob Ford too much.

The obvious question that comes up, at least in my mind, is this:

Were the Flyers able to successfully develop Coburn to reach his maximum potential?

In other words, would he have fared better staying in Atlanta? Or somewhere like NJ?

@Jmdodgesrt4

Potential superstars into the first 15 of the 2nd round? OK, I mean I guess you could say potential superstars through any entire draft. But reality tells me there's one superstar and maybe 3 or 4 more potential superstars in the top 5 or 6 picks. MacKinnon has it written all over him. Maybe Drouin, Jones, Nichushkin, Barkov. And honestly I have no opinion of Barkov and Nichushkin cause I haven't seen enough of them. Barkov sounds like a solid, albeit unspectacular player. Niscushkin has potential, but the Russian factor says that could go either way..

The 03 draft is one of the top 2 of alltime. I won't hold my breath this one is better. I think there's depth, but not the quality of depth that 03 held. Parise at 17? Getzlaf at 19? Burns at 20? Kesler at 23? Mike Richards at 24? Corey Perry at 28? Erickson at 33? Bergeron at 45? Weber at 49? Backes at 62? Those guys are ALL better than our 2nd overall in 07.

No offence Jm, but if you're seeing better than that coming out of this draft, you've been hanging around with Toronto Mayor Rob Ford too much.

Haha.. why is the media not asking him if he's actually smoked crack? It's like they're dancing around the whole question, and he keeps giving shifty answers... Think he'll resign?

I can't decide who's the bigger buffoon: Ford or Lastman.

Between that and the Senate expenses scandal, it's a great time in Canadian politics ;)

@brelic

From what Atlanta got for Coburn I'd say they'd pretty much given up on him. I know they were frustrated with his development before the Flyers traded for him. Considering he was only 21 I'd say the Thrashers were about as patient as the Flyers with their player development.

Fords days definately look numbered.

Staal, Suter, Parise, Weber, Perry, Getzlaf, Carter, Richards. I would say those are about the 8 best players from that draft. But I wouldn't consider any of them super stars... highly talented, for sure.

Weber might be the only one that qualifies, though I haven't watched him play more than a handful of games, so I'm just guessing based on what people say about him.

Suter, Parise, Weber, Perry and Getz I would put in the "super-star" league...

• Like 1

Suter, Parise, Weber, Perry and Getz I would put in the "super-star" league...

I guess so... but for me, "superstar" gets debased if too many people qualify.

I would say there are maybe 5 superstars in the NHL. Crosby, Malkin, Lundqvist, Weber, Stamkos.

But really, Crosby is head and shoulders above all of them when he's healthy.

• Like 2

I agree Brel... It is a tiered system and the 5 you listed are certainly above everyone else. And here we thought Giroux would make the top 5 the "Top 6" superstars in the game. Hopefully, he can move into that top tier of players again... He was right there two years ago!

Here's some highlight video of Nurse. Doesn't even remotely remind me of Coburn. I've seen old scouting reports of Coburn and none of them suggest that he was at that time capable of doing the things Nurse does in this video. I love Meltzer, and he's obviously seen more of Nurse than I have, but I wonder how much he saw of Coburn in juniors.

Edited by JackStraw

I agree Brel... It is a tiered system and the 5 you listed are certainly above everyone else. And here we thought Giroux would make the top 5 the "Top 6" superstars in the game. Hopefully, he can move into that top tier of players again... He was right there two years ago!

Ha! Giroux is a special player for sure. Easily the most exciting Flyer since Lindros. He's not a 'superstar' but he has wizard-like skills that definitely put him in the top tier.

• Like 1

Nurse is a tough kid and I would love it if we were able to grab him at 11 although I am not sure he is going to be there. If Nurse goes I guess it would have to be Risto? This draft scares me honestly and not b/c of the skill level of the players. I am more concerned with Homer and Crew picking something that every draft board had going later b/c they like the kid's upside.

Outside of the top 5-6 are any of the other kids NHL ready?

@murraycraven

who would have thought that Luca Sbisa was NHL ready ? Yet he stuck around for 25 or so games, and didn't look too out of place.

we'll see when they get to camp how hard it is to send them back to jr or to the A, some of these guys can raise their level as the stakes go up.

Nurse is a tough kid and I would love it if we were able to grab him at 11 although I am not sure he is going to be there. If Nurse goes I guess it would have to be Risto? This draft scares me honestly and not b/c of the skill level of the players. I am more concerned with Homer and Crew picking something that every draft board had going later b/c they like the kid's upside.

Outside of the top 5-6 are any of the other kids NHL ready?

If Homer drafts for "most NHL ready" as opposed to the player he feels will end up being the best he should be fired..... again!

I think there are a few guys who could play next year depending on who drafts them. Monohan is definately ready.