Flyers acquire rights to Streit

I can't believe after Holmgren signed Briere to that stupid contract, then Pronger to that stupider contract, then Bryz to the even stupider one, then Hartnell to an almost as stupid contract, that he's managed to basically equal the moronic value with a 4 year $22 million deal on 35 year old Streit, who IMO isn't even that good.

Fire the lunatic!!!!

I think the mistake some posters are making is the idea that money isn't king for most of these players.

I think timing matters. At the end of a career, uncertainty setting in, money may become king for most of those players and drive the decision. They're thinking about padding the retirement. Getting as much as they possibly can knowing they aren't going to be playing for a regular, guaranteed by contract paycheck anymore. Though, there's always broadcasting, I suppose. Seems like more than a few retired professional athletes find their way into a booth somewhere these days.

There's "money" and then there's "money"

$5.5M per vs. $5.75M per isn't "money" at that level.

An extra year at $5.5M sure is.

The Islanders wouldn't sign their own captain to a four-year, $5.5M deal.

There's "money" and then there's "money"

$5.5M per vs. $5.75M per isn't "money" at that level.

An extra year at $5.5M sure is.

The Islanders wouldn't sign their own captain to a four-year, $5.5M deal.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the extra year is more important to Streit than the extra $$$. I expect the total dollar value to be not much more than what NYI offered him.

@ jack... I hope you are right. If this is north of 5.5M I might need to go to the hospital. So if you see something incoherent like this after this post please call the medics:

nfa;jsJBF:gafads[*TFS'ASBFbASOH IFHYDAS U"AFP MxPHS9NCAF[0U89qjkmh fssnp[nvC*_C<FXMC ntdsy[&C{,DX"UPMP

This means I have fainted and my head is laying on my keyboard all while ready to stroke out over this deal...

Thanks for the help in advance....

Edited by murraycraven

@ jack... I hope you are right. If this is north of 5.5M I might need to go to the hospital. So if you see something incoherent like this after this post please call the medics:

nfa;jsJBF:gafads[*TFS'ASBFbASOH IFHYDAS U"AFP MxPHS9NCAF[0U89qjkmh fssnp[nvC*_C<FXMC ntdsy[&C{,DX"UPMP

This means I have fainted and my head is laying on my keyboard all while ready to stroke out over this deal...

Thanks for the help in advance....

You got it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the extra year is more important to Streit than the extra $$$. I expect the total dollar value to be not much more than what NYI offered him.

Well, they reportedly had three years, $5.5M per ($16.5M)

I'm now seeing 4 years, $21M for Streit. $5.25M per

Because of the "tagging" rule concerning players under contract for next season and the salary cap, the Flyers are already over the cap by more than $2 million- Timmy P.

Great negotiating ploy to play your hand that you now HAVE to make a move.

In case you were wondering if they were going to use a compliance buyout

So they signed him to 4 years at $5.5 per year then they're buying him out next week right? :ph34r:

Seems to be some confusion on whether it's $5.25 or $5.5 per year... either way it's more than the Isles offered. The extra year is important to him as well I'm sure. Could have been much worse!

So they signed him to 4 years at $5.5 per year then they're buying him out next week right? :ph34r:

Seems to be some confusion on whether it's $5.25 or $5.5 per year... either way it's more than the Isles offered. The extra year is important to him as well I'm sure. Could have been much worse!

I had heard Isles offer was three years, $16.5M, but am seeing indications it may have been a sub-$5M offer.

I had heard Isles offer was three years, $16.5M, but am seeing indications it may have been a sub-$5M offer.

Their site reported three years at $4.75 per year.

Reports from Newsday earlier in June indicated that Streit may be seeking as much as $5.5 million per season in a 3-year deal. Brisson will clearly argue, on behalf of Streit, that his client could receive a huge payday on the open market, possibly considered to be the weakest free-agency class in NHL history.

Looks like he might have gotten what he was searching for. Right $$ for a longer term.