Flyers acquire rights to Streit

Just wait for the inevitable bad contract. He's apparently seeking 3-5 years... Homer will throw in a NMC just for good measure.

I like the cost, I guess... a 4th rounder is nothing. But I'm worried about the contract.

• Like 1

Lets hope Homer does not shell out a 5 year deal for this guy... I like the move but I have a feeling this is gonna hurt once we see the #s!

2 years should be the deal length...3 max....scared this guy could retire and leave them hanging...can't expect everyone to be as gracious as Pronger has been.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 3

I'm not holding my breath for some sweet 2-year deal. In a salary cap world with the money these guys make it automatically means contracts are long-term...I expect it'll be 5 years...and we'll hate it after 2.

• Like 3

I'll add my voice to the two year contract plea, three tops. If term and $ are manageable I quite like the signing, as a short-ish term fill in till we can develop our own D prospects (Or when hell freezes over as it is otherwise known...)

I'm not holding my breath for some sweet 2-year deal. In a salary cap world with the money these guys make it automatically means contracts are long-term...I expect it'll be 5 years...and we'll hate it after 2.

And it would seem it's a given on the two buyouts....don't won't them to do something stupid and sign him first and paint themselves into a corner.

Said he was looking for a 3-5 year deal and he turned down 4.75 from the Isles...please Homer no NTC/NMC!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Like 1

Said he was looking for a 3-5 year deal and he turned down 4.75 from the Isles...please Homer no NTC/NMC!!!!!!!!!!!!1

but it's bound to happen. There is no point in getting in a snit about the length - not anymore. These days unless you're the Preds or some other low-spending team you just can't blow $5.5+ per year on anyone but your marquee guys. Is Mark Streit are marquee defenseman? I don't think so.

• Like 1

and so it starts.....its gonna be a bumpy ride. Agree with all above. 2-3 yrs max. Could be a good move if the $$ is alright. With rumors of Kimmo retiring after next season. (now i hate that 6 mill dollar extension even more) Streit could be a stop gap for veteran presence until the younger guys are more mature.....

Edited by pilldoc

Yep. And if it's 4 years instead of 5 I'll call it a win because that's prob the best we can hope for. This time I sure hope Homer and Co. understand the 35-and-over rule!

But anyway... is this really the guy we want? I watched the Isles a lot, I've seen Streit for years. He's got good hands, usually makes good decisions and he'll put up points. And I realize we supposedly *must* get a puck-moving D-man. But I thought our main problem was Defense, not points-from-defense.

Anyway, at 35 years old Mark Streit's best years are behind him. But the market says he's worth >$5mil per year...and now with the new cap lower than last year...I don't know if he's right for the Flyers.

If he was 37 and we could get him for $2.5 then I'd think better of the idea. But ~$6mil for Mark Streit? A decent puck-mover but hardly an intimidating defender; a point-producing D-man who's small and plays that way on D (lotta stick-checking). IMO he's not who we should be looking at.

Edited by canoli

But anyway... is this really the guy we want? I watched the Isles a lot, I've seen Streit for years. He's got good hands, usually makes good decisions and he'll put up points. And I realize we supposedly *must* get a puck-moving D-man. But I thought our main problem was Defense, not points-from-defense.

Well just don't expect him to put on no "how to defensive clinic" and he is just a depth guy that will be thrusted into the 2nd PP unit...there will be mental lapses but we should be use to that now after watching Coburn play here so many years...so surely he ain't no shutdown guy more like a over paid role player on the blueline.

yayy ?

maybe they can't reach a deal and the trade gets voided... not excited by this news at all, I will be able to stop throwing up in my mouth when i think about it if Homer gets the length of the contract right without killing the cap....but i'm not really holding out much hope there.

i saw him vs the Pens and he looked good though, if it means keeping couts and schenn and letting them grow then i'm a little better with it. we have defensive defensmen , we're good there, this is the type of player we need, just he's going to be making really good money and be just a *good* player .

• Like 3

Maybe in the draft we'll pick up a guy under the age of 30 who can play a little defense for us. The Flyers must have some sort of mandatory "pick up the old dudes and replace age with age" policy. I just hope he can stay injury free for the 10 years Homer signs him to play for the Flyers. Pronger was 34 when we traded for him, but he was Pronger. Streit isn't Pronger and is a full year older. Desjardins, who had 396 points with the Flyers, behind only Mark Howe's 480, was 37 when he retired. Howe left the Flyers after the 91-92 season, also 37 - though he did go on to play a couple of more seasons. But he was Mark Howe. I guess you can make a case to sign Streit for 2 years, maybe 3 max, but I think that's taking a huge risk. Maybe management is looking for that veteran, steadying presence in the locker room to mentor the young defensive corps I know the Flyers must be on the cusp of creating! Here's hoping.