Bernier might now cost us Couturier

brelic

because at least i know what im getting from a proven goalie, you are just obsessed with youth and dont care about what the goalie can do as long it's a young goalie, scouting info doesnt mean jack, if this team cant develop goalies then it's problem waiting to happen, you dont seem to care about it.

How is the fact that a goalie is proven but now can't play more advantageous that a young prospect that has his best years ahead of him.

What good is the "proof" if the current level of play is garbage?

Bryz was "proven" but now he's terrible

• Like 1

Wasn't much to give up from leafs. Our saga continues as we only trade or sign goalies/dmans that are over 30 and getting ready to go into retirement. Somewhere along the way we need to take a chance on these young promising goalies, tired of trading for broken down goalies or reclaimation projects that their team gave up on.

After seeing how little TOR paid, no way there is any relationship between PHI and LA. Philly would and should have paid more. Dammit.

TF, scouting may mean nothing to you, but nothing is certain. Also, the Flyers scouted, signed, and developed Bobrovsky - like it or not. They are also working on developing Stolartz. You are wrong. And, Bryz is garbage. His Cup win as a backup that you herald as "proven experience" is the same level Bernier has.

Wow, Toronto got away with one here. I wouldn't take all 3 of those pieces for our 1st round (Bernier was drafted 11th), let alone a goalie ready to be an NHL starter. Seems like a head scratcher to me. I guess the universe (Bryz please research into this) owed the Leafs one after they traded Rask for Razor Raycroft.

<br />because at least i know what im getting from a proven goalie<br />

what are you getting from a proven goalie? what did the flyers get from hextall the second time around, vanbiesbrouck, burke, biron, bryzgalov? oh, right, retread crap.

no risk, no gain.

<br />Bernier won't cost the Flyers anything. He was traded to the Leafs for Matt Frattin, goaltender Ben Scrivens and Toronto's second round pick in either the 2014 or 2015 <br />

lame. that's a miss the flyers will regret, methinks. welp, back to hoping mason's shrink is a miracle worker.

• Like 1

Bernier won't cost the Flyers anything. He was traded to the Leafs for Matt Frattin, goaltender Ben Scrivens and Toronto's second round pick in either the 2014 or 2015

Good, glad he's gone there now we didnt overpay for a guy whos proven nothing, except he's capable. Bryz was capable too

• Like 2

For those of you that are happy we didn't trade for Bernier, where are we gonna get our franchise goalie from? The free agent market? Look where that landed us 2 years ago and we are still suffering from our goalie play. I know Bernier is unproven and all but when was the last time a goalie that was highly touted like Bernier was available? The only reason why he was available because Quick established himself as a clear cut No.1 otherwise LA wouldn't be looking to deal him. I would've taken the gamble. These promising goalie doesn't become available too often and when they do they are either old,past their prime or a reclamation project. Are we just gonna sign these guys to long term deals then keep having goalie issues year after year?

Toronto paid very little to acquire him imo. I would've done Read, a 2nd rd pick and possibly a 3rd in either 2014 or 2015. Who knows what LA was asking from us but I would've tried to sweeten it alittle. Now I dread seeing Bryz in net for possibly another year. I can care less we we stunk it up again next year but what worries me is if he gets hurt playing in so many games that we can't buy him out and will be stuck with his cap hit the rest of the way. We are carrying Pronger's dead cap already and hopefully not Bryz or Streit either.

All in all this was the best chance for us to get a young goalie to grow with the young core of forwards we had and Homer to me blew it. I really hope he buys out Bryz this summer and Does not sign another goalie to a long contract or we will be in the same position right now but worst with no buy outs free of cap hit.

• Like 1

Bernier won't cost the Flyers anything. He was traded to the Leafs for Matt Frattin, goaltender Ben Scrivens and Toronto's second round pick in either the 2014 or 2015

In other words, nowhere near a Schenn or Couturier. Let alone more.

what are you getting from a proven goalie? what did the flyers get from hextall the second time around, vanbiesbrouck, burke, biron, bryzgalov? oh, right, retread crap.

no risk, no gain.

tim thomas was no great player either, he had his up and down years before they won the cup. at least the organization was patient with him and gave him a good defense around him and they finally won a cup, now if the bruins gave the keys to rask if they animestied thomas in that cup year they probably wouldnt have won a cup.

it's your delusional thinking that this year was the flyers cup contender, that's the only reason why you want gone because he was the reason why the flyers didnt go into the playoffs, that's not why, it's because mez was injuried, they lost pronger, jagr, plus it was lav's coaching as well. i mean i dont know how the fans and media are thinking this team was a contender to begin with, when they lost pronger and jagr. it wasnt possible. i didnt expect them to go to the playoffs, when you lose good players, it's hard to be a contender when you are putting the pressure on giroux and bryz and they crumbled.

right now, if mason and bernier was here, i dont think this team will be a contender, because they are unproven and they are still young. Even you animesty bryz, you have to get a vet to develop your young goalies, you cant throw them in the fire because they are young and may not handle the pressure.

as least boston gave thomas a chance and gave time for rask to develop more, you prefer to throw the young guys in and expect a cup ring, it's not going to happen.

I would've done Read, a 2nd rd pick and possibly a 3rd in either 2014 or 2015.

They wanted players they are deep and plenty of prospects...they needed guys they can count on next year.

Flyers weren't given a whole lot because for one they eye some one who is about to be bought out or is gonna be out in free agency, if they can land one before they have to make decision on Bryz it may happen.

And if not they may ride Bryz for one more season...no matter i believe Bryz will have to win the vezina and at least take this team to the finals for him not to be bought out next year when they have all this resigning to do.

tim thomas was no great player either, he had his up and down years before they won the cup. at least the organization was patient with him and gave him a good defense around him and they finally won a cup, now if the bruins gave the keys to rask if they animestied thomas in that cup year they probably wouldnt have won a cup.

it's your delusional thinking that this year was the flyers cup contender, that's the only reason why you want gone because he was the reason why the flyers didnt go into the playoffs, that's not why, it's because mez was injuried, they lost pronger, jagr, plus it was lav's coaching as well. i mean i dont know how the fans and media are thinking this team was a contender to begin with, when they lost pronger and jagr. it wasnt possible. i didnt expect them to go to the playoffs, when you lose good players, it's hard to be a contender when you are putting the pressure on giroux and bryz and they crumbled.

right now, if mason and bernier was here, i dont think this team will be a contender, because they are unproven and they are still young. Even you animesty bryz, you have to get a vet to develop your young goalies, you cant throw them in the fire because they are young and may not handle the pressure.

as least boston gave thomas a chance and gave time for rask to develop more, you prefer to throw the young guys in and expect a cup ring, it's not going to happen.

Isn't that what happened to Cam Ward..........the guy you want??????

<br />Good, glad he's gone there now we didnt overpay for a guy whos proven nothing, except he's capable. Bryz was capable too <br />

sure am glad we're going with status quo. has worked out amazingly well so far, looking forward to more of the same.

<br />Why does Bernier give us a better chance for success than Mason with our young forwards? <br />

because mason has done an outstanding job of making the case that his mental state is as strong as single ply toilet paper. mason has every tool that bernier does...every tool that a great goalie needs...but has spent a lot of time showing everyone how very incapable he can be.

maybe he turns it around. i'm back to focusing on that hope, but it feels an awful lot like hoping zherdev was going to give a damn as a flyer. these things happen, but they aren't likely.

because mason has done an outstanding job of making the case that his mental state is as strong as single ply toilet paper. mason has every tool that bernier does...every tool that a great goalie needs...but has spent a lot of time showing everyone how very incapable he can be.

I dunno, maybe instead of a mental state it was too much success too fast. In the 08-09 season Mason won the Calder was second runner-up for the Vezinza and took the Blue Jackets to the only playoffs that franchise has had. Maybe his numbers since then don't tell the whole story. There were a lot of questions on his work ethic following that season. He arrived to training camp in less than prime shape he was said to have cut corners in practice, and workouts. Apparently Hitchcock wanted him to start the year in the AHL on a conditioning assignment. Well he started that season with the Blue Jackets and it all went downhill from there.

Mason has played at least 23 different defensemen over the last 3 seasons. I recall his play improved once Richards became coach of the Blue Jackets. Then came out the crazy report that he didn't know he could wear larger pads.

Mason surely needed a change of scenery. Granted he has had to of matured some throughout his struggles. A new goalie coach, a renewed reason to return to the success he once had, and another chance to earn that next contract, yeah I think he is capable of success with the Flyers

• Like 1

@hf101

Certainly those are all good arguments for hope. We both know that's what it is, though: hope. The bottom line reality is that he has been an embarrassing, joke-of-the-league level of bad since that rookie season. For whatever reason. We hope the reasons were transient, that the situations that caused them at now past tense and from here out we'll see a goalie that hasn't been around in years. We hope.

Bernier carries no similar baggage. The only anvil he has had has been being behind Jonathan Quick on the depth chart. Less in his way means less to overcome, equals more likely to reach a high level.

Nothing is definite. There is reason for hope with Mason. I'm on board with that.

• Like 1

@Vincent05

Mason is a young goalie also. Basically Mason and Bernier will be both 25 to start the 2013-14 season. Why does Bernier give us a better chance for success than Mason with our young forwards?

Mason to me is a reclamation project here just like Emery was. I don't like how we bring in these guys hoping they turn it around somehow. When have we seen a reclamation project from any team become a franchise goalie? I do hope I'm wrong but I doubt Mason will be one, he looks to me like a inconsistent goalie and you never know what you will get from year to year. I much rather have a young highly touted goalie and give him a chance to take the job then have to sit here and hope one of these free agent goalie that other teams don't want will lead us to the Cup. Franchise goalies are not to be found on the market just like a franchise defenseman we still seeking here.

To me you have to take a chance on these young guys and let them develop, if we let other teams develop them then we would have to pay a premium to acquire them or have no chance at all or until they are 35 years old.