Bernier might now cost us Couturier

brelic

According to Timmy P. The Kings know there's a market for him.

And, apparently it's going to be, quote, "nuts" at the NHL draft next weekend.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-Panaccio/Crazy-Day-for-Flyers-Just-the-Beginning/2/52163#.UcBsDue1F8E

Kinda crazy day for the Flyers.

For starters, as Eklund wrote earlier, Danny Briere is a definite buyout recipient next week while goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, as I have been saying, remains up in the air.

I reported tonight on CSNPhilly.com that 2 sources say the problem remains the Flyer getting another goalie they really want and feel confident with BEFORE making the Bryz decision.

They need to know they have a deal worked out before they hand out that buyout. If they can't exercise the 2nd buyout, they will make a trade to lose salary.

All of this is connected to the 4-yr, $21 million deal that Mark Streit agreed to today in principle without signing.

TSN broke the story. The Flyers and agent Pat Brisson can't say the deal has happened until they are cap compliant for next season under the "tagging." rules.

Flyers as of game time had said nothing about the deal.

I have been told it's going to be "nuts" next weekend at the NHL Draft as the Flyers wheel 'n deal to get themselves to cap compliance, and begin their overhaul this summer on the defense, etc.

They have no shot at the No. 1 pick but would love to get into the top 5. That is the side issue, however, to shedding salary and maybe changing goalies.

The interesting thing is that LA's Jonathan Bernier today changed agents and is now under CAA - Brisson's agency. You have to think Bernier did that thinking Brisson would have a better shot at getting him to the Flyers since he has Streit, Briere, Claude Giroux and Max Talbot there.

I don't think it is coincidence but I also think Kings GM Dean Lombardi is going to drive a very hard bargain that would have to include Sean Couturier to land Bernier because Dino knows there is a market for this goalie.

Next week is gonna be hell week for reporters and a roller coaster for Flyers fans.

I hate Tim P so I take everything he states as pure speculation and he is nothing more than a puppet for the Flyers.

With that being said I still like Cooter a lot as a young player but you have to at least think about making this trade. Bernier and Mason combined would cost less than Bryz's cap hit alone. You have two young goaltenders to finally groom so I would very much consider making the trade. I completely understand the risk as Bernier is not proven but from what I have seen of the kid he is ready.

If the Flyers were to make a play for Bernier I think they need to focus on the future and not be so impatient. He is young and he is going to have growing pains but I do believe this kid is going to be a true #1 goalie. I am all in for this trade if you an convince the Kings to take Read + a pick instead of Cooter... If it would take Cooter to land Bernier I would have to think long a hard about it... I am not sure I would move Cooter honestly.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 3

Meltzer talks goalies in his blog too:

http://www.hockeybuz...45#.UcBz7RaNbpU

IF the Flyers are fairly confident that Mason will return to his rookie form, there may be better options than Bernier.

I like Mason's moxy and I like his puck handling skills... what I dont like is the Flyers evaluation of goaltending talent ;)

Edited by murraycraven

But the larger point that I took away from the article is that the Flyers are once again going to "overhaul" their roster, which will probably involve trading away some young guys for more established vets, e.g. Yandle.

We saw what Homer's plan "A" was like last year. It was pretty scary, and it cost us Carle and Jagr. And we ended up with Gervais and Foster instead.

The NHL draft this year, for Flyers fans, is like an accident scene. You know you shouldn't look, but you can't help yourself.

I really like Coots but if you are moving him straight up for Bernier, I would make that deal. 2 reasons, 1) Another goalie on the roster GAURANDAMNTEES!! that Bryz is GONE!! Cooter is going to be a really good player in the NHL but so is Bernier. 2) Bernier knows he is going to a team that he has an honest chance to be a number one goalie so I think he will not want to break the bank and I am fairly confident in Laughton's brief stint with the Flyers that he will be able to fill the role that Cooter plays here. I honestly think it would be a good move for both teams along the lines of the JVR/Schenn trade. Both teams benefit and the players too. I am not willing to pile draft picks or more than Cooter for this but we all know that you have to give to get.

@ Jack,

Well... since you put it that way, yes! Yes it does...

I think I shot myself in the foot on that one. :wacko:

It comes with being a Flyers fan. You have to immediately disapprove of anything they do, even if it's something you want them to do. Catch-22.

• Like 3

For years the Flyers issues have been keeping the puck out of their net. Most everyone complains about not having a real goalie since Hextall and not building from the back out. Now the Flyers have a chance to have 2 young goalies (Mason/Bernier) who at least one of them has a chance to be with the club for a decade or more.

Couturier is a solid player. He is young and has the potential to be a solid center.

Bernier is a solid player. He is young and has the potential to be a solid #1 goalie.

Flyers have centers, always have and probably always will.

As a unqualified arm-chair GM, I would not take a straight up trade Couturier for Bernier off the table.

It would be the last option but I wouldn't take it off the table.

• Like 3

And, apparently it's going to be, quote, "nuts" at the NHL draft next weekend.

Well they may have gone nutz...already but i say no to trading Coots when there are other cheaper(i mean no roster altering moves) options out there...i'm not ready to give up on Coots so he can Patrick Sharpe us...no Bernier for me.

Got to be a better option....Bernier is a HUGe risk.....let someone else take it...we want Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

I still like Cooter a lot as a young player

Then why wouldn't you want the Flyers to trade him to a eventual Stanley Cup champion, like oh so many other bright Flyers' prospects/players before him?

I wonder, which team has the most former players with Rings won with their new teams?

Edited by TedZep

Here's my question about Coots from the Kings perspective: If you're the Kings, isn't Coots kind of Richards-lite? I'm just kind of wondering why the Kings would want Coots when they already have Richards. Especially not straight up for your goalie who you think is going to cause a potential bidding war.

I wonder if it doesn't end up being Read + Not really thrilled with that either.

It's not sexy, but I wonder if it isn't smarter to just sign an Emery or Theodore or grab Smith at not too high a price for one year and then go back at it next year when the choices are a little better and you have a better idea of what you actually have with Mason.

• Like 2

just curious as to where couturier plays in LA ?

Richards, Stoll, Kopitar, Carter...

does LA waste him on the 4th line and keep Richie and Carts together ?

I think LA tries to resign Kopitar, I would. I don't know when Stoll is UFA but Richards and Carter are locked up long term.

I don't think Center is an area of need for the Kings.

I can't tell which i dislike more, Carchidi or Panotch...

Coots for Bernier straight up? No way no how! We need something coming back or that deal isn't happening. Coots has too much promise and skill be to be traded away. I would like a trade for Bernier but not at that price. If that's what LA is asking nobody will buy and then you just sign him to an offer sheet and give up a 2nd rounder.

Coots for Bernier straight up? No way no how! We need something coming back or that deal isn't happening. Coots has too much promise and skill be to be traded away. I would like a trade for Bernier but not at that price. If that's what LA is asking nobody will buy and then you just sign him to an offer sheet and give up a 2nd rounder.

The Devils will...

• Like 3

I would prefer Mason and a box of paper clips to having Bryz here for another minute. Buy the bastard out and worry about goalie #2 later. To me making a deal for Bernier and cutting Bryz are two separate issues. AND if you go into it with the mindset that one can only happen if the other does, you'll end up overpaying as Lombardi smells your desperation, Homer probably gives up Coots + plus the obligatory second rounder....don't laugh, can't you see it happening???

To the point I lean toward digity's point of view. I like Coots, but I would consider him straight up for Bernier...but man the though of giving him up gives me the heebie jeebies.

Bernier is going to be a stud.

I don't think it would take trading Cooter to get him, but I would consider it.

How about Read & Laughton?

Sounds like the Flyers & Kings have already been talking. It;ll get done somehow.

• Like 1

It's not sexy, but I wonder if it isn't smarter to just sign an Emery or Theodore or grab Smith at not too high a price for one year and then go back at it next year when the choices are a little better and you have a better idea of what you actually have with Mason.

I could maybe live with those options. Watch us grab Smith and he immediately sucks! I don't think he'd be cheap though.