Bernier Traded to Leafs

Vincent05

Quote:

Jon Rosen @lakingsinsider 1m

Jonathan Bernier has been traded to Toronto for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, and a second round pick in 2014 or 2015 (Toronto's option)

I think this is a good deal for Leafs, didn't give up much. Wished Homer could've landed him and buy out Bryz.

Funny how the Kings wanted Voracek or Read and picks from the Flyers but got scrubs from the Leafs. This proves that every team tries to cheat the Flyers out of players. Then again maybe Holmgren is that stupid to take the bait.

• Like 2

Looks like the Kings got what they wanted.

The Leafs now have two young goaltenders in Reimer and Bernier, I'm not sure this deal benefits Bernier though in his chances for getting #1- type minutes.

• Like 1

Or it shows what the media was reporting the Kings wanted was incorrect. Read for Bernier would've been a better deal for LA in my opinion. I think the Leafs just got a lot better. I was hoping the Flyers would grab Bernier

• Like 2

Or it shows what the media was reporting the Kings wanted was incorrect. Read for Bernier would've been a better deal for LA in my opinion. I think the Leafs just got a lot better. I was hoping the Flyers would grab Bernier

I had heard they wanted a capable backup inexpensive goaltender with Quick in addition to a young forward. The Flyers didn't have anyone to trade.

• Like 1

I saw Frattin a few times last year and he looked like a solid second or third liner, very responsible both ways (Wings were rumored at one point to be targeting him). I still am surprised the Kings didn't stretch it out and look for more, but a top nine forward a top 45 pick and chap good young backup goalie is not a bad return. For Bernier I think it is a horrible place to land with Reimer already in place, and it could turn in to a mini version of Luongo/Scheider.

I had heard they wanted a capable backup inexpensive goaltender with Quick in addition to a young forward.

Yeah that was the difference maker...they needed to fill the hole trading Bernier created....however Scriven is only under contract for 1 more season...too bad Flyer didn't have Micheal ****ing Leighton to offer then Flyers are a shoe in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

This falls into the meh category for me, if he turns into Brodure 2.0 well then it's a miss, if he's anything less than, I'll be glad we kept our players. The odds of Brodure 2.0 are pretty long.

I think some on here are not giving Frattin his just due. He has this kinda weird bow logged stride going on, but has legit hands and legit speed. He will make a real nice top 6 forward, if not next year, then very soon. He is also really physical and loves that part of the game. The reason he does not have great stats or a lot of playing time is Caryle seemed to want to go another direction, much to the dismay of most Leaf fans. You can literally see the potential of this kid every time he steps on the ice.

Having said all that, it seems as if the Kings should have got more, besides Frattin, it was Scrivins....basicallly a straight up back up who has served his time in the minors but is interchangeable with 20+ other back ups in the league....that and the holy grail of Philly hockey, the elusive 2nd rounder....lol, but even that has an attachment...the Leafs have the option of 2014 or 2015 (think those were the years). They really *should* have got more for such a highly prized tending prospect.

This shows Homer was lowballing the Kings in an attempt to gain Bernier's services on the cheap. Don't know if lowballing on a fine young tender was the way to go for Philly, but at least our core is entact and we can move forward knowing Homer did not get fleeced....lol.

I really think the Leafs go with Bernier and eventually trade Riemer and repalce him with one of those 20+ back ups I was talking about. I can see the Leafs trying to fix the #1 center position by dealing JVR, Riemer and prospects....or maybe a Stasney to the Leafs dealing involving 2 of the 3 things I referred to. Stasney will soon be blocked by McKinnon, either Duchene/Landeskog and Riley...so Stasney has to go at some point right....I see the Leafs as the landing spot. Stasney is still a point a game guy if put in the right spot and it would take heat off Kadri while he evolves as a player.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1