2 Minutes More for Fighting

Guest hf101

Apparently the league doesn't have the courage to ban fighting, however the Board of Governors took another step last week towards the eventual ban, as per Pierre LeBrun: "Pending BOG approval, the 30 GMs also agreed today to implement 2-min penalties to fighters taking off their helmets before a fight ..." That would be in addition to the rules which already exist in which any player who instigates a fight while wearing a visor shall be given a two minute instigator penalty and a game misconduct for his actions.

This means that in the near future it will be impossible for a player to start a fight without receiving a two minute minor penalty in addition to the normal 5 minute major. Add the 2 minute instigator and a player could receive 4 minutes of a double minor along with a major and a game misconduct.

A ban on fighting would simply be easier.

source

Apparently the league doesn't have the courage to ban fighting, however the Board of Governors took another step last week towards the eventual ban, as per Pierre LeBrun: "Pending BOG approval, the 30 GMs also agreed today to implement 2-min penalties to fighters taking off their helmets before a fight ..." That would be in addition to the rules which already exist in which any player who instigates a fight while wearing a visor shall be given a two minute instigator penalty and a game misconduct for his actions.

This means that in the near future it will be impossible for a player to start a fight without receiving a two minute minor penalty in addition to the normal 5 minute major. Add the 2 minute instigator and a player could receive 4 minutes of a double minor along with a major and a game misconduct.

source

Unless they take off their helmets at the same time... ;)

I LOVE fighting in hockey it is part of the game. Leave it be. Not talking 1970s Slapshot or the Bullies or Goon, just good old policing each other.

If you eliminate fighting than cheap shot artists have no worry about retribution. Players have a code, leave them alone to play.

@yave1964

I like the fighting when two players have had it with each other and go. The pre-arranged goon fights are a waste of time.

I agree, when the Wings signed Tootoo I groaned, I have no use for the one dimensional goons who play four minutes a game and are only on a roster to fight, guys like Tootoo, Rinaldo, Mike Brown and Colton Orr come to mind as wastes of a roster spot.

That said, I love the guys who can play and stand up for their teammates and themselves, Andrew Shaw, Milan Lucic, Pronger, the Niedermayers, Tiger Williams, Darren Mac, Shanny, Mike Keane the Plager brothers, Behn Wilson all come to mind as my favorite type of players. Shea Weber types. Love these guys, will do whatever they need to do to win, can flat out play and at the same time are nobody you want to meet in a back alley or the corner while fighting for the puck. Cam Neely. Ulfie. Terry O'reilly. Larry Robinson. You get the picture.

My problem with eliminating fighting is it gives the cheap shot artists in the game more wiggle room because they know that nobody will want to retaliate when they do their crap out of fear of putting their team down a man. The instigator rule was hard enough to swallow, most NHLers say the same thing, this eliminates the policemen in the game from doing their job and in the long run would hurt the game

• Like 1

I agree, when the Wings signed Tootoo I groaned, I have no use for the one dimensional goons who play four minutes a game and are only on a roster to fight, guys like Tootoo, Rinaldo, Mike Brown and Colton Orr come to mind as wastes of a roster spot.

That said, I love the guys who can play and stand up for their teammates and themselves, Andrew Shaw, Milan Lucic, Pronger, the Niedermayers, Tiger Williams, Darren Mac, Shanny, Mike Keane the Plager brothers, Behn Wilson all come to mind as my favorite type of players. Shea Weber types. Love these guys, will do whatever they need to do to win, can flat out play and at the same time are nobody you want to meet in a back alley or the corner while fighting for the puck. Cam Neely. Ulfie. Terry O'reilly. Larry Robinson. You get the picture.

My problem with eliminating fighting is it gives the cheap shot artists in the game more wiggle room because they know that nobody will want to retaliate when they do their crap out of fear of putting their team down a man. The instigator rule was hard enough to swallow, most NHLers say the same thing, this eliminates the policemen in the game from doing their job and in the long run would hurt the game

I take offence to this remark. Zac Rinaldo has really upped his game and should be given credit for it. He is not a goon. I'm sure you don't have much of an opportunity to see the Flyers but he is not the player that he was. He has matured a great deal.

• Like 1

I take offence to this remark. Zac Rinaldo has really upped his game and should be given credit for it. He is not a goon. I'm sure you don't have much of an opportunity to see the Flyers but he is not the player that he was. He has matured a great deal.

I was in for everything yave said other than this. I agree with you here, Rinaldo has made a place for himself on the team. I don't know how long he can hold back, cause I saw him go over the line many a time in junior. But so far so good with The Rinaldo Experiment.

@yave1964 Rinaldo does stuff that your stat package does not include, most importantly, hitting guys so hard (and legally most of the time) that they are forced to leave the game. I remember twice last year where Rinaldo hits directly lead to 2 oppositon players going to the dressing room and just never came back...one was the NYI, forget the other team.

That's not even mentioning the COUNTLESS guys he hurt badly to the point that there game was affected, but did not leave the game.. He is a true weapon in that respect. I saw him plenty in junior, and like fc said, he was a loose cannon....but he has gotten increasingly legal with his hits and fights. It was obvious that Lavi sat him down and told him where his bread was buttered, and shockingly...it sunk in!!

When he drops the gloves it's 95% no extra minor and the other guy goes off for 5 also. Not to mention, when he fights, dispite his size, he's like a caged animal and can hurt you if he connects with one of his patented haymakers....he fights to hurt...a true throwback. I respect the hell out of this kid. I want him on my 4th line for the next decade!! He's one of those guys that when you drop the gloves with him, you are in for a wicked, wicked ride that could potentially end your career with a concussion. He only knows one way to bring it.

source

I love fighting, I dont care if it's staged, heated or getting into a fight during an interview. I want more, STOP the madness. I can watch hockey now with no fighting, it's called college

@yave1964 Rinaldo does stuff that your stat package does not include, most importantly, hitting guys so hard (and legally most of the time) that they are forced to leave the game. I remember twice last year where Rinaldo hits directly lead to 2 oppositon players going to the dressing room and just never came back...one was the NYI, forget the other team.

That's not even mentioning the COUNTLESS guys he hurt badly to the point that there game was affected, but did not leave the game.. He is a true weapon in that respect. I saw him plenty in junior, and like fc said, he was a loose cannon....but he has gotten increasingly legal with his hits and fights. It was obvious that Lavi sat him down and told him where his bread was buttered, and shockingly...it sunk in!!

When he drops the gloves it's 95% no extra minor and the other guy goes off for 5 also. Not to mention, when he fights, dispite his size, he's like a caged animal and can hurt you if he connects with one of his patented haymakers....he fights to hurt...a true throwback. I respect the hell out of this kid. I want him on my 4th line for the next decade!! He's one of those guys that when you drop the gloves with him, you are in for a wicked, wicked ride that could potentially end your career with a concussion. He only knows one way to bring it.

Jammer,

Everything you said about Rinaldo applies to Tootoo. I watched him play and listened to Mickey Redmond go on and on about how wonderful it was watching him hang and bang and beat an opponent, for such a little guy.

My problem was, like Rinaldo, that is all he is good for. Neither can play responsibly enough to be used as a penalty killer, neither has any offensive acumen at all, when they are on the ice their whole line is worthless because they are too busy hitting to pay attention to the game going on around them, so the fourth line has ZERO offensive output. They are one dimensional players of a narrow scope that sets their team back by their one dimension that they offer and it isn't like they set up in front of the net setting screens promoting offense or killing penalties so the real players don't have to, they just roll around on the ice hitting as if that is how you win. Which it isn't. You win by scoring and by preventing the other team from scoring. Players like Rinaldo and Tootoo do nothing or t the least very little in that regard.

The nickname for Pat Verbeek, a real player who could hit with the best of them and provide energy as well, The little ball of Hate applies for Rinaldo nicely. I can see a losing team with a lackluster roster needing a player like that to entertain the fans because the rest of the team is so unentertaining. That is how I saw Tootoo this year with the Wings as well. When you don't have anything else to keep the peasants from throwing trash and booing bring on the court jester. That is Tootoo. That is Rinaldo and Boll and Parros and a dozen others. Teams defend the use and the play of these guys as 'energy guys' or whatever, but truth is most great or near great teams don't have these types and if they do they only play them every blue moon. I respect your opinion as much if not more than anyone in here but we disagree on this one, I think in five years tops Rinaldo will be a distant memory from the NHL replaced by another bad or mediocre club with the next 'little ball of hate.'

Edited by yave1964

Neither can play responsibly enough to be used as a penalty killer,

\

Rinaldo killed penalties in junior and with the phantoms during the lockout and has been lobbying hard for pk duties with the flyer. he has the wheels to play aggressively at the point, i think it is a role he will fill for the flyers in the next two years, provided he remains disciplined.

he's a little guy that plays big and a guy that unless he's on your team you love to hate. there is value in that beyond the stat sheet.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2