hartnell should have been bought out not briere.

Guest toughfighter83

i mean if you look at briere he has two years left on his contract and hartnell has a 6 year contract, if hartnell starts playing bad like briere it means this team is stuck with hartnell's contract for another 5 years and with briere only has two years left, i would have rather stuck with briere for two years left and try to trade him to a contender in 2014 and bought out hartnell.

You aren't wrong (yikes!), hartnell is going to hurt more and for longer, is ultimately the worse contact.

The thing is next season's cap. It is going way down, but is likely to go way up again after that. Hartnell's cap hit as percentage of total cap allowance isn't going to be so bad as the years go in. Briere's was going to cause problems right away.

• Like 2

i mean if you look at briere he has two years left on his contract and hartnell has a 6 year contract, if hartnell starts playing bad like briere it means this team is stuck with hartnell's contract for another 5 years and with briere only has two years left, i would have rather stuck with briere for two years left and try to trade him to a contender in 2014 and bought out hartnell.

" if hartnell starts playing bad like briere"

That's what's wrong with your reasoning there... IF Bryz didnt suck, he'd still be here too. If you go into any season thinking, Hmm, what if this guy sucks with that contract, You're screwed.

what do you people see in hartnell? you acting like he's the second coming of john leclair.

No one has said a single positive thing about hartnell in this thread. Which is to say: wtf are you talking about?

I'll give Hartnell a pass this past season due to injuries. But if looks terrible things coming season we have a boat anchor to get rid of. We already have Scenn, Simmonds and maybe McGyn to play the same way. For the $ Hartnell makes I would rather have Horton. That's a discussion for another day...

• Like 1

@murraycraven I was actually debating the pros and cons of such a move, but I decided to leave it alone, if for no other reason than pure entertainment value.

jammer - the one thing I have found out is the "entertainment" is in the responses to the posts... I have no idea what he is saying but it is easy to guess when reading the retorts. This way I do not have to read posts with excessive commas, incoherent thoughts and nonsensical jibberish. It is quite nice...

what do you people see in hartnell? you acting like he's the second coming of john leclair.

I didnt see anything of the sort posted in this thread so I am scratching my head here TF83 but for what it's worth I will say this about Hartnell, you will not find another player who has more heart or bleeds more orange and black than he does. Harts is a lot of things, only a few of them bad in my opinion, and the guy never takes a shift off, leaves it all on the ice, and will square off with anyone in defense of himself or a team mate. I'll take that on my team ANY DAY. (Even if he is overpaid.)

• Like 1

I'll give Hartnell a pass this past season due to injuries. But if looks terrible things coming season we have a boat anchor to get rid of. We already have Scenn, Simmonds and maybe McGyn to play the same way. For the $ Hartnell makes I would rather have Horton. That's a discussion for another day...

Horton apparently wants north of $6 Million.

While I agree that Harnell is a good teammate, I can't agree with:

the guy never takes a shift off, leaves it all on the ice

He's been benched a few times for exactly that. He was out of shape coming into this season (that's on him) and the year before he was on the G/Jagr line, he was horendous. In fact most on this board (silly.com) were calling for him to be traded.

He also has had some pretty favorable line-mates through the years....

V. Leino, Briere

Giroux, Jagr

You can look at it two ways: 1) he helped that line be successful or 2) He benefited from a good line.

I'm in camp #2. I think Hartnell's latest contract will end up ranking up there with the worst contracts (length, $ and NMC) Homer gave out. Bryz, Pronger, Briere, Hartnell in that order off the top of my head.

With the right combination on the ice, Scotty can be a force. Briere was bought out purely for cap room, not because he wasn't playing well enough.

Granted, if he'd put up 40 goals, they'd have risked his cap room in all likelihood (or at least been able to trade him). But the buyout and release had way more to do with cap room than anything else.

And when I say cap room, that means year to year. It doesn't matter that Scotty will end up costing more over the long haul. The 2.5 he saves you year to year is more important.

Plus Scotty's salary, (though it isn't nothing) is still moveable, so if he starts to be a liability, they should be able to move him. Someone will take a chance on him for a playoff run or as a "missing piece to the puzzle" at some point. No one in this 64 million cap reality would take on Briere's hit. a hit of 4.75 isn't nearly as daunting.

if hartnell starts playing bad

• Like 1

While I agree that Harnell is a good teammate, I can't agree with:

He's been benched a few times for exactly that. He was out of shape coming into this season (that's on him) ADD HIM TO A LOOOOONG LIST OF PLAYERS WHO WERE NOT IN SHAPE AT CAMP THIS SEASON. I THINK MANY PLAYERS THOUGHT THERE WASNT A CHANCE IN HELL THAT THERE WAS GOING TO BE A SEASON THIS YEAR.

and the year before he was on the G/Jagr line, he was horendous. In fact most on this board (silly.com) were calling for him to be traded. HE DID HAVE A BAD YEAR BUT I DIDNT SEE IT A RESULT OF LACK OF EFFORT OR HUSTLE. HE ALSO HAD A BIG BOUNCE BACK YEAR.

He also has had some pretty favorable line-mates through the years....

V. Leino, Briere

Giroux, Jagr

You can look at it two ways: 1) he helped that line be successful or 2) He benefited from a good line. IN A PERFECT WORLD THERE IS A 3RD OPTION AND THAT IS SYNERGY - WHEN 2 OR MORE PARTIES WORK TOGETHER TO CREATE SOMETHING FAR GREATER THAN THE INDIVIDUAL PARTS. I'D LIKE TO THINK THAT OCCASSIONALLY LINES HAVE SYNERGY AND THE PLAYERS ON THAT LINE BRING OUT THE BEST IN EACH OTHER.

I'm in camp #2. I think Hartnell's latest contract will end up ranking up there with the worst contracts (length, $ and NMC) Homer gave out. Bryz, Pronger, Briere, Hartnell in that order off the top of my head. HMMMMMM, AGREED IT'S NOT A GOOD CONTRACT, TOO MUCH FOR TOO LONG BUT I FEEL LIKE AT LEAST HARTSY TRIES TO EARN THAT PAY CHECK EACH NIGHT, AS DID PRONGER. NOT SURE I CAN SAY THE SAME ABOUT BRIERE (THOUGH I DID REALLY GROW TO LIKE HIM AS A FLYER) AND DEF CANT SAY THAT ABOUT BRYZ.

SEE COMMENTS IN CAPS