Who wins Stars Bruins trade?

Let me first say Eriksson has always been a favorite of mine and I suppositioned in here a month ago about him being dealt, and being a Swede I was hoping to see him dealt to the Wings. That said, I think the Stars won this deal.

Eriksson is a stud, a two way forward who scores almost a point a game. He is a bit soft but extremely skilled. Reilly Smith is a talented potential third liner, Fraser is just a body and Morrow has to be considered a question mark with his third organization in three months. Making the Stars take Peverly as part of the deal frees up the money to pay Rask and Bergeron and clears a roster spot for Soberberg next season.

Seguin is the best player in the deal with apologies to Loui. He is 21 and signed for five seasons and is a flat out stud coming off a poor post season. Peverly was the key for Boston, making the Stars take his salary was a must, but fact is he is a solid bottom six forward and well worth the money, Boston just had to pay Rask and Bergeron and someone had to go.

And now the big rumor is Horton is considering the Stars the front runner for his service. If he signs because of the acquisition of his friends it will be a major coup.

Boston did what they had to and came out with a first line forward, a top prospect and two other okay prospects.

Jim Nill put his stamp on the Stars roster with a game changing move.

IMHO Dallas clearly wins the deal, if Horton signs with them it makes the deal a landslide.

Edited by yave1964

@yave1964 I agree, Jim Nill is starting to show why he was so highly thought of in NHL circles. The Stars will be a legit team because of his hockey smarts. Over time, they will become a Western powerhouse. I'm betting he did not like parting ways with Morrow, who looks like a legit prospect, but ya gotta give to get when you are talking about a young talent like Seguin. Lot's of Leaf fans feeling a tiny bit better about the Kessel trade today...but my money says Seguin will be a force to reckon with in coming years. He skates to well to be a flop, the work ethic is there, love his decison making at top speed, everything points to stardom from my perspective. He's a special type of talent that is rarely available through the trade route. Just one nagging thing....is this degenerataive hip conditon I keep hearing about....but I'm sure Jim Nill and his team doctors did thier due diligence here, so not overly worried.

From everything I'm seeing it looks like Seguin has fallen into the rich, young party lifestyle. Apparently during the playoffs the Bruins ordered him to move into a hotel room with a guard posted outside his door to make sure he stayed put. It's gotta be tough at that age with all that money NOT to screw it up.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck I heard that same story this morning fc, if true, the kid let the money get to him, didn't have his priorities in place. I don't blame the Bruins for doing this if all the stories are true. Looking more and more like the Oilers got it right with the Taylor vs Tyler choice a few years back. Talent is great, but ya gotta have your priorities in line or your career will be short and mired with controversy. I get being young and everything, but playing hung over in the midst of a cup run, that's just a startling lack of control....looks like he has a real problem.

You guys knew this was coming...u-tube video (actually snapshots) of Mr.Seguin partying hard and loud!! ha ha....some of these pics of Tyler remind me of the Carter and Richie pics from a few years ago...to funny....might even be some of the same puck bunnies!

@flyercanuck I heard that same story this morning fc, if true, the kid let the money get to him, didn't have his priorities in place. I don't blame the Bruins for doing this if all the stories are true. Looking more and more like the Oilers got it right with the Taylor vs Tyler choice a few years back. Talent is great, but ya gotta have your priorities in line or your career will be short and mired with controversy. I get being young and everything, but playing hung over in the midst of a cup run, that's just a startling lack of control....looks like he has a real problem.

Gasp. All the same things said about Carter/Richards

Overall I would say both teams won this deal

From everything I'm seeing it looks like Seguin has fallen into the rich, young party lifestyle. Apparently during the playoffs the Bruins ordered him to move into a hotel room with a guard posted outside his door to make sure he stayed put. It's gotta be tough at that age with all that money NOT to screw it up.

Yah I was recently thinking about this too, what with the A Hernandez situation & all. I'm amazed not more of this sort of thing comes out with these young hockey players & contracts with outrageous $$. A shame with all that talent but no wisdom to go with it.

Welcome @J0e Th0rnton fellow Canadian & West coast fan...not many of us here! Sorry for our crappy 1st round efforts, not much of a challenge was it.?...haha!

@J0e Th0rnton

Erikkson should help the Bruins immediately. Seguin hopefully gets the wakeup call and proves his worth which I think he will. I agree, win/win.

I agree it's a win - win. Erikkson is an excellent player that not too many people have heard about. Seguin is the most talented and with the Stars he will likely play on the top line and get a ton of minutes where he should blossom.

To me the deal helps both teams as the Bruins get an excellent two way player that they can plug right in and contribute. The Stars get a potential superstar if he gets his act together on and off the ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Stars taking a tiny bit of a risk taking on the "attitude problem" of Seguin, but ultimately should end up with the better player.

The Bruins drop cap and Eriksson is no downgrade from Seguin at this immediate point in time. Short term, I think Bruins win. Longer term we'll have to see. Seguin could easily get his act together and become the next great Star star. (See what I did there?)