The Flyers offensive D-men

jammer2

I thought this article deserved it's own thread. The author is Kurt R. from the Broad Street board. He did some nice quality research here and makes some excellent points.

Enjoy.....

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/8/2/4580878/flyers-puck-moving-defensemen-timonen-streit-gustafsson-diagram

@jammer2

It's amazing how much sports gets dissected nowadays. That's some pretty specific data. One thing I'll say is I like how much Streit and Gustaffson spread their game around when it comes to points, whereas Kimmo seems to get most of his parked along the boards at the blueline.

@jammer2

It's amazing how much sports gets dissected nowadays. That's some pretty specific data. One thing I'll say is I like how much Streit and Gustaffson spread their game around when it comes to points, whereas Kimmo seems to get most of his parked along the boards at the blueline.

Yeah, that's kinda why I posted it, just thought the different perspectives would be good to keep in the memory bank for later use. It is wild how they break down the different data, I would have never been exposed to data like that when I was younger, any posting on the topic would have to come from pure memory.

FINALLY... somebody put the stats together to support my age old argument that TImonen isn't worth much without the power play anymore. NINE even strength points all year. It also bolsters my not liking that you guys got Streit! LOL He's your offensive threat from the blue line.. the guy who will carry the puck up and do his damage. He did pretty well with the Islanders... I would imagine with your more offensive minded forwards he'll be in the top ten defensemen easily for the season.

it is time for Gustafsson to step it up. I would like to see him get quality minutes. He basically is the young link for a few years in this regard till this years draft class comes around. and Ghost as well but he seems like a serious wild card. Rafalski or bust

• Like 1

@ Polaris...

It is nothing more than what Doom posted. Timmo is a "defense first" defenseman, and to your point, I dont think he would rack up points if not on the power play. It is simply not a huge part of his game. Conversely, you have LeTang who is offense first and then is an average at best defensive defenseman... As a fan I could care less but I would rather Timmo score on the PP and shut down the top line of opposing Teams - which is pretty much what has does and has done.

@doom88

@murraycraven

Then all the worse for your offense with no puck moving defenseman to speak of till now. Timonen has been slow the past two years. You guys should be excited to see how your transition game breaks out now with Streit in the lineup. He's your only defenseman I'm concerned about now.

I am also more than happy to FINALLY have a serious shot from the point! Something that has been missing since Pronger went down... I think Hartnell and Simmonds are going to get a lot of garbage goals in front... Streit was a very good pickup. Even if he is on the older side I still really like it...

I am also more than happy to FINALLY have a serious shot from the point! Something that has been missing since Pronger went down... I think Hartnell and Simmonds are going to get a lot of garbage goals in front...
Streit was a very good pickup. Even if he is on the older side I still really like it...

I just hope you still like it 4 years from now when him and VLC are taking up 10 million in capspace. It's my biggest problem with Homer...it's like he never looks down the road, he only sees where he is right now.

I just hope you still like it 4 years from now when him and VLC are taking up 10 million in capspace. It's my biggest problem with Homer...it's like he never looks down the road, he only sees where he is right now.

Well, let's face it, there is a VERY good chance Homer will not be GM at the end of those deals. It will be somebody else's problem. Homer wants the glory of winning it all now, and he knows if he does not, he won't have to deal with the consequences. Ed won't stop him, cause he's gonna die eventually, and he also is in win now mode.

The good news, our new GM will have a built in excuse as to why he can't compete.....AND the cycle continues!!